Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed on detailing new paintwork

So I just picked up my winter daily driver (`02 Park Avenue Ultra) from the body shop last night, after having both my front and rear bumpers repainted. I`d like to get some winter protection on the paint but recognize that I need to wait a period of time for the paintwork to fully cure. Is 30 days the recommended wait time before applying a fresh coat of sealant or ceramic coating? What is acceptable in the interim? This car receives rinseless washes every 1-2 weeks. I have ONR, D114, Uber Rinseless, Griots Rinseless Wash & Wax, IUDJ, ECH2O, and Trifecta to choose from. I know D114 would be fine, but would any of the others be okay to use in order to provide some minimal protection while the paint cures?

I`m leaning toward using ONR, but would be interested in your thoughts...
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed on detailing new paintwork

I remember seeing somewhere that Optimum car wax is "fresh paint safe" - don`t quote me on that. Might use that (or whatever the product I`m thinking of) in the short term.

Post Thanks / Like

ONR would be fine to use as well. Optimum Spray Wax has been given the ok to work on fresh paint. Meguiar`s M305 as well. I used M305 after I had my car repainted a year ago. The paint is still on the car so no issues.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Thanks BadgerRivFan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This topic comes up now and then, and it`s rare for everybody to agree. Heh heh, Fermani and I finally just agreed to disagree

That said..

Yeah, OCW was thoroughly tested by Ford, and they approved it for "post-production paintwork". Based on that, I tried using it on fresh paintwork instead of using my usual long-term fave (Meguiar`s New Car Glaze/M05, been loving that stuff for over 40 years but OK...M305 is probably better) or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (which I liked better than many people did). Zero issues from the OCW, the fresh paint hardened up just fine. I`ve used it on fresh paint many times since then and it`s always been OK.

It always takes about 90 days for my repaints to fully harden up/cure/finish outgassing/whatever happens. Yeah, even when baked. Until then, some are pretty soft (and some are *VERY* soft, in that Stupid-Soft range that I hate) while some are pretty hard, and when it`s soft I`ll often wait until it`s hardened up before correcting it.
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Thanks BadgerRivFan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d think that almost any water based spray wax would be fine. I`ve used OCW on fresh re-sprays with no problems, but then I`ve read some horrific stories of other products that made paint permanently soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    ..I`ve read some horrific stories of other products that made paint permanently soft.
    Happened to a guy here who was certain such stuff was just an old wives` tale...until it happened to him.

No, I don`t know why it *stays* soft, but that`s (apparently) what can happen.

And no, it`s not about the clear "clouding" or the paint failing or anything like that....at least not that I`ve ever known of. It`s just about attaining max potential hardness.

Thread Information