Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for 2-Bucket Wash Quick-Detailer Spray Drying Aids

Once again, I asking my fellow Autopians what they use for quick-detailer spray to act as a water-drying aid after the final rinse in a 2-bucket wash. I know that some no longer use this, as microfiber towels technology has advanced to the point of thorough drying with the advent of Griot`s Garage PMF towels or The Rag Company`s Twistress and Pluffle towels, and the use of a drying aid while towel drying may be a moot issue.
    I ask because those of us who have hard water supplies, whether municipal or private well, know that even minor water film left behind after towel drying can leave streaks or a dull paint once the water evaporates. I know that the specific car soaps and the dilution ratios you use and the water quality all play a part in this scenario of what is left behind, not to mention ambient temperatures and humidity levels that influence water evaporation rates.
    (For soaps discussion, see the thread: Car Shampoo
    For water quality discussion, see the thread: Zero Water vs Distilled Water)

Any suggestions what specific quick detailer spray(s) you use to aid in towel rinse water drying and what you like about it would be appreciated. If you use different sprays for different ambient conditions (IE, hot and/or humid versus cold and/or dry) let us know as well.
    Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs, ride92 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for 2-Bucket Wash Quick-Detailer Spray Drying Aids

I`ve not found a QD that I didn`t like as a drying aid, DG FCS, Griot`s Speed Shine and BOS, Meg`s UQD, Kenotech, Rupes, Optimum etc. More often, however, I use a spray wax, such as DG Aquawax, Meguiars D156 or my favorite, DG Aquawax/ DG FCS, mixed 1:3. I do have one rule I follow. When using any kind of drying aid, I don`t use my better drying towels, such as my PFMs or Guzzlers. I`ll wipe first with a decent MF to get the heavier accumulations of water, wringing it out as I go, then follow with a second MF to wipe dry. I do not use my best drying towels when using any drying aid to avoid compromising the absorbency in the future.

Bill
    Likes RMD, Frankf, Oneheadlite, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

D156 as a drying aid. Doesn’t get better than that honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

While I can see using D156/UQW/OCW for a Drying Aid (and often do that on the A8), most of the time I use use QD-strength IUDJ. I like that stuff so much that I`m having to force myself to use up my gallons of QDs.

And for some reason I still don`t like D156/UQW on paint nearly as well as I like it on trim/black bits, though I do use it on the bellypan now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    ..... I do have one rule I follow. When using any kind of drying aid, I don`t use my better drying towels, such as my PFMs or Guzzlers. I`ll wipe first with a decent MF to get the heavier accumulations of water, wringing it out as I go, then follow with a second MF to wipe dry. I do not use my best drying towels when using any drying aid to avoid compromising the absorbency in the future.

Bill
    Very good point! What specific MF towel manufacturer/type do you use with a drying aid??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It`s pricey but my absolute favorite drying aid is Ammo Hydrate. Makes drying a breeze. But I`ve used a number of QDs mentioned here that have also worked well.
    Thanks Marvin_G thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The new towels sort of do make this a moot point, they dry so well, it is downright crazy. My faves are OID and UWW+, both work really well and are super cheap. OCW works well too.

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and try Griot’s best of show detailer. I know it doesn’t say so but it works great as a drying aid.
    Likes Lonnie, Frankf, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Prima Hydro is the best I`ve used. It adds protection and cures over 24 hours and after a day the gloss and slickness is crazy. I use it more as a QD/spray sealant because I use less product that way. Honestly for looks, durability and ease of use nothing beats it as a drying aid IMO.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve recently started using Griot`s Speed Shine as a drying aid, and am impressed. Prior to this, I wasn`t using anything, but since using the GGSS the paint is glossier and slicker.

Post Thanks / Like

While my Dry Me Crazy MFs are very good, I still use a Drying Aid unless I`m reLSPing (and sometimes even then). I`m convinced it makes a genuine difference in appearance and that it also provides a bit of additional marring insurance should I have missed any dirt. So far the OCW/D156/IUDJ haven`t negatively impacted the DMC MFs, even though I`ve often let `em sit around rather than washing them immediately the way I probably should

That reminds me- zero compatibility issues between OCW, D156/UQW, and IUDJ...or, apparently, between any of those and FK1000P. Certainly haven`t noticed any problems with the IUDJ in that regard.

OzzieMike- Are you using the SpeedShine on wax or sealant? Just wondering as I greatly preferred it on the former. Don`t buy *too* much of it at one time as it does have a bit of a shelf-life issue compared to some other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator.....I`m using SpeedShine on top of the FK1000P. I`ve gone thru 3/4 of a 35oz. bottle in the last 6 weeks or so. And I plan on using it if/when I have to subject my Edge to the Scratchmaster car washes when it`s too cold for me to bring out the buckets and water.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a QD by most definitions, but Opti Seal and a Pluffle.. where does all that water go???
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009
    Likes Oneheadlite, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t use drying aid much anymore. Just dry the car with a quality mf towel useing padding technique as not draging the towel. Then if I want some added gloss I use angelwax QED which gives a shine almost as wax does. Or I use sonax bsd when I want a crazy water behavior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Not a QD by most definitions, but Opti Seal and a Pluffle.. where does all that water go???
    I’ve used Opti Seal and had the same experience. Lately I’ve been using Griot’s new Rinseless Wash and Wax at their recommended 15:1 ratio and have been happy with how that works.

Since its 40° in the garage right now, probably going to go back to the Opti Seal since it flashes easier
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information