Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: OTC Products, what`s new and worth checking out?

That waterless wash might be good to have on hand in the car for emergencies. Think splashes from puddles, stuff like that
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Accord79 broke the news yesterday, Chemical Guys now OTC at Walmart out here in Florida. I checked in Advance Auto to see if they had the new Griot`s BoS Spray Wax but no luck, did see some CG though!

Advance:

Snagged from Walmart, they smelled too good:

Wonder if they`ll last longer than surf city.

Post Thanks / Like

Those fancy looking bottles of CG make me homesick for the old black and white labels. I must confess that when I feel like I`m being sold something through flashy (gaudy) presentation, I back off. Too bad, those bottles could be chock full of the best stuff I`ll ever use.

But, meh, they are in this to make money and not appeal to Autopian-level enthusiasts that make up 0.1% of the buyers.

With all due respect, Surf City`s stuff looked worse.

Post Thanks / Like

haha after seeing them yesterday my daughter said `i don`t think those pretty colors are going to make anyone pay that much for them anywhere, not even walmart`

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...Chemical Guys....Hey, I use/like some of their stuff, but ooooh, Skulls!! We be so cool because, like..., what?...Death and such is cool....

Packaging graphics and other "product appearance" stuff (as opposed to functional stuff like sprayer/bottle/etc. design) is an intelligence test IMO. I`d be perfectly OK with a plain white label with legible black printing describing the contents...but I guess the late Floyd Meguiar and I would be the only two guys who think that way

Post Thanks / Like

Manufacturers never think overly plain packaging will grab the consumer`s attention at least at the OTC level .The consumer is buying the packaging as well as the product even if the product winds up being crap. They have to make their product stand out on the shelf. Therefore all the cutesy packaging is sometimes more flash than substance.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accumulator View Post
    .... I`d be perfectly ok with a plain white label with legible black printing describing the contents...but i guess the late floyd meguiar and i would be the only two guys who think that way
    poorboy`s world
    Likes nickclark08, shineycar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Manufacturers never think overly plain packaging will grab the consumer`s attention at least at the OTC level .The consumer is buying the packaging as well as the product even if the product winds up being crap. They have to make their product stand out on the shelf. Therefore all the cutesy packaging is sometimes more flash than substance.
    And unfortunately that`s all probably true, though I consider such stuff an intelligence test (that I`d rather not fail).

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict
    ..[then you oughta like]..poorboy`s world
    I get stuck on the whole "poor person as identity" thing, even done facetiously, I can`t help but think "utterly opposite worldviews" to the extent that I knee-jerk against supporting with my money. That probably sounds like a slam, but I don`t see it that way (and I have nothing but good opinions about Autopian member Poorboy). I avoid Meguiar`s products as much as possible for the same kind of reasons (but yeah, I do use M101, QID, UQW..) and it even grates a little to support some others I could mention. Hey, I don`t support (i.e., experience) entertainment by Scientologists either.

OTOH, I *do* try to support [certain other vendors] for reasons of presumed philosophical compatibility, even when it costs a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, the White Diamond Metal Polish that you see to the side of the Chemical Guy`s stuff is a GREAT metal polish for those of you who have aluminum tread-plate (diamond plate) tool boxes or step plates or kick/scuff protection plates on pick-up trucks, fire engines, or emergency rescue squad vehicles.
    GB detailer
    Likes Loach, DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I get stuck on the whole "poor person as identity" thing, even done facetiously, I can`t help but think "utterly opposite worldviews" to the extent that I knee-jerk against supporting with my money. That probably sounds like a slam, but I don`t see it that way (and I have nothing but good opinions about Autopian member Poorboy). I avoid Meguiar`s products as much as possible for the same kind of reasons (but yeah, I do use M101, QID, UQW..) and it even grates a little to support some others I could mention. Hey, I don`t support (i.e., experience) entertainment by Scientologists either.

OTOH, I *do* try to support [certain other vendors] for reasons of presumed philosophical compatibility, even when it costs a little more.
    To each his own. I personally was enamored to the point of fascination with Poorboy`s branding, and as you can tell from my avatar, I`m a huge fan if the mascot "Pockets". In reality, a truly poor person will not even have detailing products on their radar, especially internet brands, so I appreciate the irony. Also, several Poorboy`s products are not inexpensive. QD+, Nattys, Bold-n-Brite... these products are a substantial fist of dollars more than what you`d pay for QD, wax, and tire dressing at the store. Poorboy`s is "not a lot of money", sure, but they`re completely unnecessary to daily living.

I`m not defending Poorboy`s so much as showing how two similarly-aged people interpreted the marketing differently.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have about a dozen old B&W label CG product bottles. Most of them with sprayers.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pep Boys has started carrying some A303 products. And some Griot`s also. I don`t think it`s anything new, but it is some stuff that can be had the same day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0inDetail0 View Post
    I still have about a dozen old B&W label CG product bottles. Most of them with sprayers.
    me to:
    EZ Creme Glaze with Acrylic Shine (awesome)
    Bare Bones (plenty good, but "meh")
    Butter Wet Wax (Better Re Wax)

oh, and some blue wheel cleaner which is the worst!
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    me to:
    EZ Creme Glaze with Acrylic Shine (awesome)
    Bare Bones (plenty good, but "meh")
    Butter Wet Wax (Better Re Wax)

oh, and some blue wheel cleaner which is the worst!
    I`m curious, what would you suggest over bare bones?

I was looking for a better undercarriage alternative and tried out Sonus Trim and Motorkote, but it didn`t last anywhere near as long as the bare bones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imatk View Post
    I`m curious, what would you suggest over bare bones?

I was looking for a better undercarriage alternative and tried out Sonus Trim and Motorkote, but it didn`t last anywhere near as long as the bare bones.
    Motorkote is great for spray-and-walk-away engine detailing, but it might not take kindly to a watery/dirty environment.

I can`t honestly say that Bare Bones lasts any longer than plain tire dressing in the wheel wells. I often don`t bother to reach for Bare Bones and I just wipe Bold-n-Brite in the wells, but, I`m beginning to think 303 might work better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information