Thread: Yellow spots!

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow spots!

I did ironx, clay, and wolfgang deep gloss liquid sealant on my wife`s new explorer a couple of weeks ago. Did a quick wash today and found yellow spots all on the rear of the car. The top of the spoiler on the hatch, top of the back bumper, and sides of the bumper behind the rear wheels.

What the heck is this? And how do i get rid of it. I tried claying the top of the bumper with no luck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow spots!

I`m guessing it`s something that was on the road and got kicked up by the tires, and then swirled around the low-pressure zone behind the hatch. It`s hard to tell from the picture, but it seems like the wrong shade of yellow for paint used for road marking -- maybe some knucklehead dropped a bucket of house paint or stucco off the back of his truck, happens all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2121268`]I`m guessing it`s something that was on the road and got kicked up by the tires, and then swirled around the low-pressure zone behind the hatch. It`s hard to tell from the picture, but it seems like the wrong shade of yellow for paint used for road marking -- maybe some knucklehead dropped a bucket of house paint or stucco off the back of his truck, happens all the time.
    I will see if I can get better pics. It has the same shade as pollen.

The car is only driven a few miles a day, along the same route. When I run my hand across it, it is smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Bee poop. It fades away with time.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think so, he tried claying the spots on the bumper without success. Bee poop can be dissolved easily with APCs or shampoos and washes off.

Post Thanks / Like

It was washed thoroughly. The clay I used was not an agressive clay. It is from the Mother`s kit.

The best I can come up with is that the contaminants were there when I sealed it with wolfgang deep gloss liquid sealand and they are underneath. The interesting part is, before I coated it I used Ironx and clayed the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

could ironX not being fully rinsed and drying on the surface cause the yellowing marks?

Post Thanks / Like

You know, it does kinda look like little rust blooms (not saying that`s what it is). I would have thought bee poop too, but not coming off with clay has me perplexed.

Do you have a really mild polish you could apply by hand in a small spot to ensure LSP removal, try claying, THEN Iron x? If you originally Iron-x`d then clayed, there *might* have been some random iron contamination under something else, which the iron-x wouldn`t have originally touched, and the clay maybe only sheared off - leading to small rust blooms later on down the line from the smoothed off, but still embedded iron particle.

Totally speculation on my part.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have any polish. Any recommendation on what to use?

Your hypothesis sounds feasible. I will gladly strip the LSP re-clean and see if that takes care of it!

Post Thanks / Like

You could even try a cleaner wax to start, you could get a small bottle from any local auto store if you wanted to go that route. Meguiars or mother’s cleaner waxes might be a good place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

The cleaner wax could work, or you could try Megs Ultimate Polish - its available pretty much anywhere. Test on a small spot with a small amount, and just lightly rub in with a foam applicator pad for a few "swipes" then buff off. You might see the yellow spots disappear, but I would still go after it with a healthy dose of Iron-x and see what happens - Re-LSP after, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try a cleaner wax, I have an unopened bottle of Collinite 840 that I ordered by mistake and have no use for. It`s for use on light color paints & clearcoats, and would be perfect for this application. If you want to go that route, PM me and I`ll send it to you.
    Likes nickclark08, black2002ls liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2121548`]If you want to try a cleaner wax, I have an unopened bottle of Collinite 840 that I ordered by mistake and have no use for. It`s for use on light color paints & clearcoats, and would be perfect for this application. If you want to go that route, PM me and I`ll send it to you.
    That is an extremely generous offer! Tha k you.

Thread Information