Post Thanks / Like

"How much for a detail?"

I get asked this question constantly—it`s the number one thing out of any potential customer`s mouth anytime I get a call.

First, I do have prices on my website, and even special package deals for those who just want a quick "daycare" wash and vac. It`s not all that difficult to find if you spend 20 seconds looking on my single page website.

Having said that, I focus a lot of my work as higher-end luxury and performance car detailing, and depending on the car and how bad it is, it can determine how much time is spent on it. Is it a Cadillac Escalade in black and marred to hell or a pristine single-stage red NSX that is driven only on Sundays? Do you eat take-out in the interior every day, smoke and have dogs in your Volvo or do you not have anyone else ever ride in your 2-seat Miata? All work has different price points.

So I feel my phone answers are always too complex or jargon-filled for laymen to understand, and regardless of my prices, I think I have a tendency to freak some people out. I am constantly trying to come up with a good answer to the question, but I don`t think I have landed on it yet.

Ideally, I want to see the vehicle in person and give them a quote, but I think that`s a cop-out to someone that may be price shopping on the phone or through Facebook DMs. I could ask 20 questions of them and still not have a good idea of what I`m in for or how much work I need to do, until I see it with my own eyes. I don`t work out of a shop, and do this on the side, so that adds to my complex answer.

So how do you guys answer this question? What is the best way to close on a phone call inquiry?
    Purple Towel Detailing
    FB + IG: @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "How much for a detail?"

man I feel your exact pain there, except I don`t have a website with prices...but I am going to soon

I generally ask the few same questions but I prefer to do it on a phone call so I don`t have to send a long msg

vehicle make/model/color
    how long have you had it/ going to keep it?
    how do you care for it?
    dogs? kids?
    then literally ask them `what kind of detail are you looking for?` (ok so maybe I have some extra free time to let people ramble on but I feel it gives me a good idea of - did they even look at any of my work or did they just fine me on google and call..i.e. genuine interest or price shopper)

not sure if that helps at all but I definitely was thinking about this exact topic recently

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    then literally ask them `what kind of detail are you looking for?` (ok so maybe I have some extra free time to let people ramble on but I feel it gives me a good idea of - did they even look at any of my work or did they just fine me on google and call..i.e. genuine interest or price shopper)
    There`s the problem I run into. Most people calling have no idea what detailing actually is. They think it`s a "wash and a wax" or a "wash and a buff" and then I fear that I freak them out when I try to explain what a "full detail" actually consists of. One of my issues is that I don`t want to be a car wash—I do it on the side, so I have no interest in cleaning dog puke out of someone`s minivan. I`d rather do one Corvette correction and polish a month than 4 minivan wash and vacs.

I`m really looking for a good way to discuss the depth of offerings without making their head blow up from the technical jargon I can easily slip into.
    Purple Towel Detailing
    Likes 512detail liked this post
    Thanks 512detail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
    There`s the problem I run into. Most people calling have no idea what detailing actually is. They think it`s a "wash and a wax" or a "wash and a buff" and then I fear that I freak them out when I try to explain what a "full detail" actually consists of. One of my issues is that I don`t want to be a car wash—I do it on the side, so I have no interest in cleaning dog puke out of someone`s minivan. I`d rather do one Corvette correction and polish a month than 4 minivan wash and vacs.

I`m really looking for a good way to discuss the depth of offerings without making their head blow up from the technical jargon I can easily slip into.
    It`s on the seller to create value in the eyes of the potential purchasee (is that even a word?)

The thing is you need them to Define what detailing is so you can understand what you need to educate them on so they can understand your value, if you continually fail to do this that`s not going to be good for business, and I struggled with that for a solid year and a half if not longer, and I wasn`t booking anything besides people that knew me and my work.

I go so far as to explain what I do and describe the process in general but I won`t quote them over the phone I will give them a general ballpark price, like the standard detail on that vehicle generally cost X dollars but there`s a lot of factors involved so if you want a more accurate price I would need to quote the vehicle in person.

When they stop by my house I make sure my garage is open enough so they can see that my license plate says wax waster and I make sure they park right in my driveway next to my 135,000 mile truck that looks probably better than theirs.

I have 100% closing ratio on people that come to my house for a quote.
    Been doing this since march when I started working from home for my day job.

Brandt K.
    Likes upon3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I ask what they are expecting to have as an outcome, refer them to our website, give them a starting price but insist I see the car before I accept the work. If they ask why I need to see the vehicle, I explain a little more in depth about what we do. That usually gets them to at least stop by.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah if they are serious I find that they will come by and within a few minutes of chatting and looking the car over in person I`m booking an appointment. That`s the biggest way to weed out price shoppers. I ask them a few general questions then tell them to stop by for a more in depth quote. But not all my jobs booked go like that. I do book quite a bit over the phone but make it very clear that price depends on condition and give a range. Pretty much this has kept me doing vehicles for clients who appreciate the work and not soccer mom vans.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

I donated a detail package (interior vacuum, wash, AIO) as a silent auction item for a local charity. The gentleman who won had never had his car detailed and was actually a little nervous. I explained to think of it as a very thorough car wash that will make the car look better than new and help keep it clean and protected from everyday environmental elements. 95% of friends/customers will not see value in multi-step claying/compouding/polishing/LSP. Most people don`t understand what detailing is and how it is different than a car wash. Those that do understand the prices and amount of work it takes to take a finish to the next level.

When he picked up the car, he could not believe the difference. Called me the next day and thanked me again, couldn`t believe the transformation.
    Likes upon3, RaydiantDetail, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t market myself as a budget car wash, nor do I turn anyone away unless the detail I would provide is worth more than can be done to the car. I field at least 2 calls a day from people price shopping. I am laughing right now, as I was just reading this last response and someone texted me, "how much for a wash, clay, polish and wax?"

I told him a rough number and that I`d prefer to see it in person before getting more specific, and all he said was, "ok, thanks."

I`m tired of price shoppers. I think my future response might become, "if you have to ask, you`re not going to like my answer."

Purple Towel Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
    I don`t market myself as a budget car wash, nor do I turn anyone away unless the detail I would provide is worth more than can be done to the car. I field at least 2 calls a day from people price shopping. I am laughing right now, as I was just reading this last response and someone texted me, "how much for a wash, clay, polish and wax?"

I told him a rough number and that I`d prefer to see it in person before getting more specific, and all he said was, "ok, thanks."

I`m tired of price shoppers. I think my future response might become, "if you have to ask, you`re not going to like my answer."

Get the ok thanks response a couple times a week. Then one of two things happen. They never decide to book or they want to book and it`s a month wait typically. Like I tell people. I don`t do volume work. I do specific high level detailing at 2-3 cars a week max.

Just keep at it bud. Once you start getting into the pockets of wealth and build that reputation you will get less an less price shoopers and more calls that ask how soon rather than how much. It`s taken me a bit but this year things took off. Fortunately I`m really the only high level guy in my surrounding area within 30-40min and there`s some wealthy towns bordering me. The trick is getting the clients who have multiple vehicles. For instance I just finished a BMW for a client yesterday. Today he messaged me to setup an appointment for his daughters Lexus and then wants to do his truck. It`s all about knowing your market, being knowledgeable and your reputation.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes upon3, RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Thanks upon3 thanked for this post

Thread Information