Post Thanks / Like

2 new vehicles advice

Hope everyone here is having a good start to their weekend I`ve been a member here for a while more reading than posting. Learned quite a bit back in the 80`s I would wash my vehicle with wisk laundry detergent and throw a couple of coats of kit or Simonize wax on it and hit the road. Things have come a long way. I have a 2016 magnetic gray metallic tundra bought new in aug 2017 Just got my wife a new 2017 blizzard white pearl highlander. First white vehicle. The plan for the highlander is wash ( 2 bucket always) dry clay I`m thinking maybe it won`t need polishing since its new, opinions on that, been using klasse twins and porter cable DA for the last 10 years on our 06 red rock pearl ridge line and it really shines and protects that color. Just looking for some professional opinions. The grey tundra I did clay and polish it about 2 months after I bought it but don`t know if the polishing was necessary. Also use Meguiars express spray wax and collinite 476s maybe once a year really like the chemical guys vrp protectant too. The white paint just not sure what is best for it and what would make the grey look it`s best Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 new vehicles advice

You`re using some really tried and true products, nothing is really going to outclass them except maybe a coating. If you have the time, always polish a new car, especially after claying, you`ll get more pop out of white or gray.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the new vehicles!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. One little funny. My wife has said that I was anal about my vehicles. Now she has a new one she keeps a bottle of quick detail and a microfiber cloth in the center console (LMAO)
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why dry clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

good choice.

2 new vehicles advice-img_1523.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- Welcome to Autopia!

I trust you meant to post "...dry [and then] clay..", right?

Some folks clay while doing the wash, others (myself included) prefer a chemical decontamination over the claying (not hating on clay; I spot-clay at every wash).

Only *you* will be able to determine whether any polishing is necessary. My experience has been that every single vehicle has required it, even the "untouched" ones where I took off the Transit-Wrap myself. All a matter of what it looks like and what your tolerance is.

Nothing wrong with the Klasse twins, but remember that the AIO is functionally nonabrasive and that the KSG really needs at least four coats to provide much durability.

Just FWIW, my current fave LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., "wax") is FK1000P, which lasts longer/protects better than KSG or 476S. Looks absolutely perfect on white IMO. But again, nothing wrong with what you have now.

I will say that I don`t use any ERV dressings any more, greatly preferring the Spray Wax approach for exterior plastics/vinyl/rubber surfaces.
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great info accumulator. Nah I use quick detailer when I clay I just finished washing and drying going to eat some breakfast and then start the real work I have Maguires express spray wax I think I will use that on all of the outside black trim I don`t have any FK 1000. What I was going to do was polish with Klasse AIO after claying, and then follow with power lock plus I have lake country smart pads in blue orange white black and red. Which color should I use

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- Sorry,can`t really help with the "which color pads?" as I`m pretty out-of-date in that dept.

With the KAIO (repeating...it doesn`t do any correction, just some paint cleaning), I`d use a polishing pad. Others like something softer, but not me. Just don`t use a pad that`s so harsh that it micromars the paint.

I`m not familiar with Power Lock, but given the size of those vehicles I sure hope it lasts for a good long time Why aren`t you using the 476S or the KSG?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the power lock back in the springtime. People talked highly of it. I was looking for something that I could really see good while applying it. Sometimes I will put 476 over the sealant. I think the sealants last a little longer than waxes. KSG isn`t the easiest to put on and take off. I used a white pad for the AiO. That`s all I wanted to do was clean the paint real good before lsp. That fk1000 has some really good reviews. Might have to try that

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- IME the trick with KSG is to put it on so thin you simply cannot see it readily on the paint, using far less than an ounce to do, say...a Suburban including its doorjambs/etc. Sounds like that might not be something you`d like, given how the "really see it" factored in with the Powerlock. Hmmm...hope that`s not a problem with other LSPs like the FK, I basically *never* put anything on so thick that I can really see it on the paint. Well, I can *see* it, but it`s more like a light haze..."?is there something on there or not?...than what I think most people do.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the ksg maybe 20 times and it will definitely last a long time. Just finished putting first coat of power lock plus on. Applied it with a black foam pad with the DA. That was the first time I have used the da for applying the lsp. It is so much easier than using a small microfiber pad. Puts it on nice and even and thin like they say to do. Spray waxed all the black trim. Highlander is looking NICE. Will put another coat on in a couple hours

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, sounds like you`re really making progress!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2016 Highlander in Silver and went through some trial as to what to use. In my opinion FK1000 is the best of all the products I have tried. Two coats split about a week apart add lots of pop. A neighbour of mine just got a brand new White Lincoln and I put a coat of FK1000 on it and again the colour just popped. I highly recommend it. Enjoy your Highlander.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Thread Information