Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee`s 37 Paint Coating vs FK1000P

I have a couple of cars that are parked outside 24x7. I`m always on the lookout for something that can save some time. Its been a long time since I`ve done a coating. While the results I`ve had from Opticoat are indeed fantastic, the reality of it is I get similar results with FK1000P or OCW. The difference is one is pay up front (Opticoat) or pay in intervals (FK1000P/OCW). McKee`s 37 caugt my eye, its big on value and the ease of application seemed close to what I was looking for. If I was wishing for things, I`d wish for something like Opticoat that applies like Optiseal, but I think it`ll be a few years before Dr. G can make that happen.

In this test I wanted to see how little prep work I can get away with. I split the hood into three sections, the drivers side is FK1000P 2x, passenger side is M37. The bottom is prepped with a paint cleaner/polish then IPA`d 2x. The top was not polished, just IPA`d 2x. Then the passenger fender had zero prep work other than a wash. So whatever was on there before, and there was something, got M37 on top of it. We`ll see how they hold up.

One thing I was blown away with was the darkening effect of the coating, I`ve never seen anything this strong, if you look close in the pictures you can see the tape lines.

Likes nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks PRND[S] thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee`s 37 Paint Coating vs FK1000P

Interesting test.
    Do you like the darkening effect? From the pictures, I think I wouldn`t be confortable with that kind of finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely hated the darkening effect. I stopped with coatings because of that. I have a tinted clear coat and coatings just ruined the look. FK1000p is on the car now and looks just the way I like it....and it is the closest to a coating in terms of properties of any non coating LSP. Sonax PNS is close second

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    ..the results I`ve had from Opticoat are indeed fantastic, the reality of it is I get similar results with FK1000P or OCW.
    Interesting thread.

I do wonder what you mean by that, though? In terms of results, do you mean you get similar results in durability? Or etch resistance? Or other results?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting test--I`ve often thought FK1000 exhibits characteristics close to a coating.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I absolutely hated the darkening effect. I stopped with coatings because of that. I have a tinted clear coat and coatings just ruined the look. FK1000p is on the car now and looks just the way I like it....and it is the closest to a coating in terms of properties of any non coating LSP. Sonax PNS is close second
    What are your feelings about PNS versus FK1000? I`ve often thought of giving it a try in place of FK1000. The FK performs exceptionally well, but was thinking the PNS might be less work to apply.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    What are your feelings about PNS versus FK1000? I`ve often thought of giving it a try in place of FK1000. The FK performs exceptionally well, but was thinking the PNS might be less work to apply.
    You can`t beat the beading with PNS, but the durability was not impressive for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You can`t beat the beading with PNS, but the durability was not impressive for me.
    Interesting .... I`ve had very good luck with PNS durability. It makes me want to pick up a tin of FK1000P, but I also have a tin of Fusso 12 Month Wax that I need to try. I`ve shied away from coatings because I have too many sealants and waxes on the shelf. My other hesitation is if a coating changes the look (as in darkness), it`ll be more of a P.I.T.A. to remove as opposed to a sealant or wax.

Decisions .... Decisions!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I`ll ask...PNS? I`ve got a similar thread going about replacements for Collinite 845. FK1000 and Jescar Powerlock are top recommendations.

New Sealant Time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    Ok, I`ll ask...PNS?
    If the question is what`s PNS .... Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll be interested to see how the comparison plays out over time.

I get vastly different results between FK1000P and OCW, but still like/use/recommend the latter. The coating on my wheels differs from the FK only with regards to durability, but with all the !YMMV! factors....

On the darkening, the only time that happened in a huge way was with BFAFPP...hated it so much I stripped it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    .. I`ve got a similar thread going about replacements for Collinite 845. FK1000 and Jescar Powerlock are top recommendations.
    I still use the 845 for two specific applications (limited areas on the `93 Audi), but unless somebody has those sort of specific reasons for using it, or likes it`s ease-of-use/smell/whatever, I don`t see any reason to prefer it over the FK1000P and plenty of reasons to use the FK instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lloydrm View Post
    Interesting test.
    Do you like the darkening effect? From the pictures, I think I wouldn`t be confortable with that kind of finish.
    On this car, I don`t mind it, on a white car, I`m not sure I`d really like that sort of effect.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Interesting thread.

I do wonder what you mean by that, though? In terms of results, do you mean you get similar results in durability? Or etch resistance? Or other results?

Thanks
    I`ve found that with OCW application every few weeks or with FK1000P every two months, my paint condition does not degrade. There is no water spotting, bonded contaminant buildup or oxidation. The paint also stays relatively clean after a rain. While other products bead fantastically for long periods of time, they don`t seem to do anything for actually protecting the paint. I`m hoping this coating can keep the paint looking great with minimal effort and not a lot of prep work. I`m happy with the results of OCW or FK1000P but it would be nice to have be forced to re-apply something so frequently.
    Likes lloydrm liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with silver fox on the "darkening effect." I put Gyeon mohs on my rear bumper just to experiment with it and because the rear hatch and bumper on my car attract dust and exhaust like crazy, and it`s very noticeable on the white pearl. Must have something to do with the quad tailpipes or something.
    I`m not sure it`s true "darkening" but there is a difference in the color. It looks like the bumper has been repainted and it didn`t look like that before the coating.

The quarter and doors have mckees on it, another product I`m playing around with. Nothing wrong with it, but I still prefer FK1000p. Before too long, I`ll be polishing off the coating and going back to FK.

Hope the pic shows up, I`m using Tapatalk for the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

PS, the McKees on the quarter is the hi def sealant, not their coating. The Gyeon does look "glossy-er" under certain lighting, and the beading is excellent, but not excessively more so than FK1000p.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information