Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee`s 37 Paint Coating vs FK1000P

This thread is turning into an ad for Fk1000p, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Have to agree with silver fox on the "darkening effect." I put Gyeon mohs on my rear bumper just to experiment with it and because the rear hatch and bumper on my car attract dust and exhaust like crazy, and it`s very noticeable on the white pearl. Must have something to do with the quad tailpipes or something.
    I`m not sure it`s true "darkening" but there is a difference in the color. It looks like the bumper has been repainted and it didn`t look like that before the coating.

The quarter and doors have mckees on it, another product I`m playing around with. Nothing wrong with it, but I still prefer FK1000p. Before too long, I`ll be polishing off the coating and going back to FK.

Hope the pic shows up, I`m using Tapatalk for the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Very illustrative picture right there. I think I like the gyeon effect better thn mckees`. Which one would you say has a closer effect to, say, FK-1000?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure. I think I`ll do a light polish on the other quarter and apply FK to see what that comparison looks like. I do like the mohs look a lot, but I just don`t want to deal with coating the whole car. Too much hassle.
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    This thread is turning into an ad for Fk1000p, lol.
    Heh heh heh...IMO, that`s a clue

And yeah, I hear you on the "my paint just doesn`t degrade", it`s like the contaminants don`t stick/build up/need paint-cleanered away. I seldom even bother to clay before re-LSPing (which I figure is one of my Autopian Heresies, but it`s working fine for me).
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That`s a stark difference, and would annoy me greatly. What`s odd though is that in that particular light, the bumper seems brighter to me, not darker.

The backs of our cars get so dirty because they are hatchbacks, there is a turbulent low-pressure area behind the car and any road dust and carbon from the exhaust swirls around and can settle without being blasted off by laminar airflow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2119846`]That`s a stark difference, and would annoy me greatly. What`s odd though is that in that particular light, the bumper seems brighter to me, not darker.

The backs of our cars get so dirty because they are hatchbacks, there is a turbulent low-pressure area behind the car and any road dust and carbon from the exhaust swirls around and can settle without being blasted off by laminar airflow.
    It bothers me greatly as well. It`s less noticeable in other lighting conditions, but it was striking in that parking position when I was washing it at that time of day so I snapped the pic to post it. Will be polishing the coating off the rear soon. I do notice much less dirt on the back with the coating though. It`s lighter for sure; the "darkening effect" seems to be what happens on dark paints. I am curious if the "lightening" effect on my color has to do with the gloss or effect the light has on it.
    Coatings have their merit for sure, I`m just not going all in with it. I`ll stick to sealants for now.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure the above is the result of the LSP? IMO it`s likely simliar to many vehicles where the bumper covers are far different than the rest of the vehicle. I especially see this on cars with metallic or pearl in their paint. Blue Subaru`s are notorious. Even our minivan that has blue flake in it will show far more color and sparkle on the body panels vs bumper covers.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen a color mismatch on a VW in that area. Both of those panels are metal and should respond the same way to paint and aging.

Post Thanks / Like

Not doubting the darkening effect, but the picture may not accurately represent that. Look about 6 inches above the fuel door. The contours of a car have a funny way of playing games with colors and shadows.

Post Thanks / Like

McKee`s 37 Paint Coating vs FK1000P

IMO the rear bumper cover looks so much better in the picture bright and glossy. The rest looks blah

I would coat it all based off the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

" I don`t like the darkening effect on my bumpercover". "The bumpercover looks brighter than the adjacent panels."

Owner sees one thing IRL, Autopians see another, very different, thing over the internet. Reminds me why I simply never put all that much stock in online pix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update, beading shot and video.

https://youtu.be/LrU6DqWxUAA

The McKee`s absolutely has the edge on dirt release, there was almost nothing left after just rinsing, just a few bug splats. The FK1000p needed enough agitation to give Accumulator anxiety. McKee`s 37 Paint Coating vs FK1000P
    Likes nickclark08, MattPersman liked this post
    Thanks MattPersman, JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The FK1000p needed enough agitation to give Accumulator anxiety. McKee`s 37 Paint Coating vs FK1000P
    Perfect description!
    Likes Dan, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, yeah...I bet that gets the idea across clearly to most anybody here

!YMMV! in action, huh? Wonder why some people don`t get the same results with the FK that I do...although there`s one panel on my wife`s A8 that *NO* LSP ever lasts on including FK1000P...and if something like the McKee`s lasted OK on that panel then even I would sing its praises.

That`s after about a month, right? I haven`t FK1000P`ed yet *this year* and haven`t washed is since (gee, I`d rather not say ) yet the latest rainstorm I drove through left it nice enough for anybody except an Autopian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, yeah...I bet that gets the idea across clearly to most anybody here

!YMMV! in action, huh? Wonder why some people don`t get the same results with the FK that I do...although there`s one panel on my wife`s A8 that *NO* LSP ever lasts on including FK1000P...and if something like the McKee`s lasted OK on that panel then even I would sing its praises.

That`s after about a month, right? I haven`t FK1000P`ed yet *this year* and haven`t washed is since (gee, I`d rather not say ) yet the latest rainstorm I drove through left it nice enough for anybody except an Autopian.

Hehe... FK is not dead at all, just sheeting much more than the beading of the 37. The big difference is now things just glide off the McKee`s, FK is no slouch but this is a big difference. Both have about 1 month and ~1000 miles. Outside 24x7. Approx 3-4 light rains and maybe 1 or 2 heavy rains. This is very early, but the McKee`s is gaining my attention, Opticoat was not this slick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information