Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee`s 37 Paint Coating vs FK1000P

Cool thread.
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    While the results I`ve had from Opticoat are indeed fantastic, the reality of it is I get similar results with FK1000P or OCW.
    I can`t speak for all coatings but the coatings we apply offer protection that waxes and sealants can`t. The look, feel, hydrophobic affect might be comparable but the level of protection isn`t.

Acids and solvents can break down waxes and sealants where as the coatings we apply are unaffected by them. Coatings offer a much better barrier to protect the paint finish from being scratched also. If you do get marring type scratches, they happen to the coating and not the paint finish.

One of my long time clients drives an hour to work and an hour home on the interstate every day. Before coatings I was using a synthetic polymer wax when I detailed his cars 3 or 4 times a year. He isn`t the most diligent about cleaning off bugs so he would get a lot of bug damage on his car. His last car he has had for about 3 years and I coated it when he bought it. He has me wash it about every other month and it has no bug damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@Protekt View Post
    I can`t speak for all coatings but the coatings we apply offer protection that waxes and sealants can`t. The look, feel, hydrophobic affect might be comparable but the level of protection isn`t.

Acids and solvents can break down waxes and sealants where as the coatings we apply are unaffected by them. Coatings offer a much better barrier to protect the paint finish from being scratched also. If you do get marring type scratches, they happen to the coating and not the paint finish.

One of my long time clients drives an hour to work and an hour home on the interstate every day. Before coatings I was using a synthetic polymer wax when I detailed his cars 3 or 4 times a year. He isn`t the most diligent about cleaning off bugs so he would get a lot of bug damage on his car. His last car he has had for about 3 years and I coated it when he bought it. He has me wash it about every other month and it has no bug damage.
    Troy, I realize you have a vested interest in this, however are you sure Opticoat outperforms FK1000P in absolute paint protection? I certainly wouldn`t lump in "polymer sealant" in a group with FK1000P. There are Polymer Sealants <cough> Zaino </cough> that actually worsen environmental fallout, those that really don`t do much, and then KSG and FK1000P which are pretty much bullet proof. I`ve also had zero issues with any sort of paint damage using just OCW. I certainly concede a coating will outlast any of those. Lets not forget many coatings have waterspotting issues.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, and noting that all bugs/bird-bombs are different, I`ve left such stuff on my vehicles for extended periods (months, and I don`t mean just three or four) without any etching through my FK1000P. IMO you can`t generalize too much about "waxes" and "sealants".
    Likes Dan liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information