Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought a new car

I bought my wife our first brand new car on Saturday. I want to make sure to take care of the paint and protect it from the get go.

The vehicle: 2017 Explorer in White platinum tri coat metallic
    The tools: Driveway, canopy, elbow grease

I`ve been reading over the last couple of days, and frankly, my head is spinning! I want to stay away from paint correction at this time. We are so busy at work, both of us, it is near impossible to get the car dropped off with someone to get this done.

My plan right now is to wash, clay, wash, then seal/wax, aerospace 303 on the black trim. I`m wondering if I should hit it with some Iron X before claying it.

Where I`m confused and my head is spinning is the sealant or wax, wax and sealant, sealant and wax.

What I`m looking for: Protection and keeping the paint looking great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just bought a new car

Welcome and congratulations!!

FWIW - become friends with WOWA (Wipe On Walk Away) sealants. You can thank me later.

mjl

Post Thanks / Like

WOWA is where I have been leaning. There are just so many freaking products, it is hard to figure out what the heck to use! Then, do I wax before, wax after, not at all?!

I`ve always taken care of my own vehicles, and until I started really looking into paint care the last week or so, It was wash, wax, and occasionally clay bar. I learned about the ceramic coatings a year or two ago, though If I were to ever go that route, I would pay someone to do paint correction and put a coating on it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to wax, it would be after. I don`t unless I have a specific request to do so.

Detailer`s Mantra: Wash - Clay - Compound - Polish - Seal - Wax (other than Wash, the rest are as necessary).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    If you want to wax, it would be after. I don`t unless I have a specific request to do so.

Detailer`s Mantra: Wash - Clay - Compound - Polish - Seal - Wax (other than Wash, the rest are as necessary).
    Thank you for the quick responses. Any recommendation for a WOWA? Will waxing afterwards afford me any additional protection/logevity to the WOWA?

I wish I had gotten around to picking up a buffer and getting some practice on my old S-10.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the look you like. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal (the Camaro on the AG site for this product was my work) and Blackfire Crystal Seal are good, safe bets.

Typically waxes don`t last as long as sealants which is why they go on after. Normally, topping this way is more cosmetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Another sealant I like is the hydro blue you can do after all washing is all done. It`s activated by strong water pressure and will last bout 2-3 months or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Another sealant I like is the hydro blue you can do after all washing is all done. It`s activated by strong water pressure and will last bout 2-3 months or so

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Depends on the look you like. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal (the Camaro on the AG site for this product was my work) and Blackfire Crystal Seal are good, safe bets.

Typically waxes don`t last as long as sealants which is why they go on after. Normally, topping this way is more cosmetic.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

That Hydro Blue sounds like snake oil from reading the application instructions. It seems completely counter intuitive to spray a liquid onto a wet surface, then hit it with a jet of water! I`m sure its a legit product and its been a while since my fluid dynamics and materials science classes so I`ll take proven results as proof!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black2002ls View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations!

That Hydro Blue sounds like snake oil from reading the application instructions. It seems completely counter intuitive to spray a liquid onto a wet surface, then hit it with a jet of water! I`m sure its a legit product and its been a while since my fluid dynamics and materials science classes so I`ll take proven results as proof!

I use it quite often and am real happy with the results. It sure makes drying the car a breeze to and that`s no lie

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the first new car.

IMO It will be costly if you use the hydro blue compared to say Crystal seal or opti seal etc. you will more than likely use way too much hydroblue the first time. It`s only a 16 oz bottle will likely use 8 oz at least doing it. And realistic visual protection is 3-4 weeks. Not months. The wowa sealants are a much better value. One of those 4 oz bottles will do that explorer many many many times. Probably buy something else to fool with before half is used up. More work indeed but not a killer by any means.

Don`t get me wrong The spray silica sealants are cool and fun to use I have them. But it`s very common to use way too much product and the value goes down quickly.

You could just wash the car panel by panel with Gyeon bathe + or carpro hydrofoam following the initial wash ironx And claying and skip an additional lsp.

Could be wash with snow soap
    Clay
    Bathe + or hydrofoam
    Done

All depends what route you want to go with

It`s a great position to be in with all these good interesting product we have available.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I am leaning towards a WOWA.

So wash, ironx, wash, clay, wash, Wowa?

Post Thanks / Like

That will work.

My process would be: wash, ironX, rinse, clay with rinseless (preferably from same mfg as WOWA) at clay lube strength (double rinseless strength), WOWA - but I`m lazy. Mfgs tend to make their polymers work in a synergistic manner.

Post Thanks / Like

The reality of keeping a car looking great for decades is frequent washing and frequent re-application of a wax and trim product. Also getting bird bombs off as soon as you see them. Frequently people pop in here with a brand new car, go nuts on it, and then never really care for it again. Like dieting, it`s important to formulate a plan you can live with indefinitely.

Grab a bottle of Optimum Car Wax. You can cover the exterior of the vehicle with that stuff, works great on paint, glass, rubber, plastic, etc. I`ve been using it exclusively on my `13 Wrangler and it still looks brand new with no polishing and the trim looks better than most Wranglers than are 3 months old.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-SW200...dp/B00GG9FI8I/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the input everyone! I`m going to go with the wolfgang liquid spray seal. I was hoping to go through the process this weekend, however, I can`t get a good WOWA here by this weekend! So, it will most likely just get a good bath this weekend, then I will go through the ironX, clay, and seal next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Explorer!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information