Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for New GMC Sierra 1500 Onyx Black

Hi everyone,

I`ve been a long time reader/lurker. My brother just took delivery of a brand new GMC Sierra in black. I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding the paint. The goal is to do a full wash/decon/clay/correction and then ceramic coating. He uses his truck daily for work including often off road conditions. The company also prides their equipment and keep their trucks/semis/equipment in pristine condition.
    • Does anyone have any experience with the Onxy black paint, is the clear soft, med or hard? Trying to get an idea of what polishes/compounds we will need.
    • I/we realize ceramic coatings are not going to protect against scratches and abrasions, but want something that is going to hold up to tough conditions of a work truck and make it easy to clean since it will be washed often. It would be nice to have a product that will work on paint, wheels, glass etc, ie an all in one ceramic coating.

Thoughts and comments please!

Thanks,

Jeff H
    Jeff @ Pure Brilliance Detailing
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR - Super White II

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for New GMC Sierra 1500 Onyx Black

GMC is known for having hard clear coat. I would not use a ceramic coating on glass. Use a dedicated glass coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade it in for a white one!

Hyper Polish has finished down well for me on the ones I`ve worked on. Plenty of good coatings to choose from for the paint and wheels but glass will be it`s own coating.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro CQuartz can be used on glass, if you want to go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! He would rather have a white one but since it is a company truck he doesn`t really get a choice. I am leaning towards CQuartz UK for its durability. I like PA Viking Coat but seems as though the Viking spritz is integral to maintaining the coating and its a pretty pricey for a topper.

Post Thanks / Like

I used CQuartz UK on a couple of panels of my Landcruiser. Topped it with Car Pro Reload. Holding up nice.

Just be careful applying the CQuartz. Don`t over apply or you`ll end up with high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no telling about the clear until you work on it as it can be different if switched on the paint line. Highly recommend Griot`s boss system, has worked for me on everything! As far as coatings, I really have been pleased with polish angel cosmic v2. You can use Griot`s best of show on it for maintenance with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

While Mike is correct in the fact that you need to actually polish said paint to find out how it responds, every `13 and later solid black- Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Camaro, Yukon has been on the medium to soft side... with some being very finicky to finish down. If you can get away with just using foam to cut... I would heavily recommend that. It may take a little more time but it is worth it not having to do 3-steps. HD Adapt was my go to for cutting on these paints as it finished very well on an orange pad... unfortunately, HD no longer offers it. Followed up with HD Polish or Optimum Hyper Polish. (If I were coating... I would use CarPro Reflect as the lubricating oils are easily removed. Just watch your technique on the transitions for maximum clarity.)
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies! Lots of good info. I think our plan of attack (for now at least) is to see what kind of correction we can get out of CP Essence using either a foam finishing pad or mf pad if we need more correction. LSP would be CQuartz UK and kept up with a combo of Hydrofoam and Reload when needed for maintenance. IF we need more correction I`m leaning towards GG Boss creams or HD (both lines I have experience with and love both).

Thread Information