Post Thanks / Like

Most Suds for the Buck ?

Ok which soap with the most suds to use in a foam gun for the buck that you can find locally ?
    I find Meg`s Gold Class expensive and mediocre. Anyone tried clothes washing detergent ?
    A jug of soap is heavy so ordering online is out of the question.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Suds for the Buck ?

EdLancer- I can`t see how laundry detergent would have the qualities you`d want for washing a vehicle, let alone for use in a foamgun. Note that some people use regular laundry detergent to wash wax/etc. out of their detailing textiles...not exactly what you`d want for washing your car IMO.

I don`t know from ordering in Canada, but can`t you find online specials where the shipping is either included or cheap? A five gallon bucket of something like 3D Pink Car Soap simply takes the issue off the table for a loooong time, and at a truly low cost.
    Likes EdLancer, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    EdLancer- I can`t see how laundry detergent would have the qualities you`d want for washing a vehicle, let alone for use in a foamgun. Note that some people use regular laundry detergent to wash wax/etc. out of their detailing textiles...not exactly what you`d want for washing your car IMO.

I don`t know from ordering in Canada, but can`t you find online specials where the shipping is either included or cheap? A five gallon bucket of something like 3D Pink Car Soap simply takes the issue off the table for a loooong time, and at a truly low cost.
    Hey Accumulator, long time no see !
    Yeah a good quality soap is good if you just wash and want the LSP to stay on, but most of my washing are just used prior to polishing and the suds for appearance to the customer if they stick around sort of say ...LoL

I guess I will have to stick with Meg`s Gold Class for now.
    Shipping is the killer here in Canada with Canada Post. Go figure is costs more to ship something down my street than to anywhere in the 48 states ! ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

I found Griot`s Brilliant Finish wash 64oz. at a car parts store. That is some sudsy stuff Fo` Sho` !

Likes EdLancer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried Auto Glym Foaming Car Wash ?
    Its currently on sale here locally and is a little less expensive than Meg`s Gold Class and a little more product 2.5L vs 1.89L

After seeing this vid, I want to try some ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

I use Poorboys super slick and suds. To strip lsp I add citrus degreaser and polish after.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The best you can find locally around me is prolly Duragloss` soap...Clothes washing detergent? What??? Oh, yr Canadian... I see - go ahead..

Foaming a car is mostly a waste of time (but kinda fun).... So, if you are going to do it - just use more of whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    The best you can find locally around me is prolly Duragloss` soap...Clothes washing detergent? What??? Oh, yr Canadian... I see - go ahead..

Foaming a car is mostly a waste of time (but kinda fun).... So, if you are going to do it - just use more of whatever.
    Hey if it works and the price is right its the same crap ...sodium hydroxide and surfactants.
    Actually foaming has physical properties that are useful in lifting the dirt from the surface, many industrial applications use foaming/froth to separate impurities to raise to the surface. A good foaming and a DI water rise can eliminate physical contact with the paint which is the goal of a touchless car wash if the car is not too dirty. Small amounts of marring will occur no matter how careful you wash your car when you touch it physically.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how the in country shipping is for you but maybe Steve will chime in here. I think I remember him pointing people towards sellers of Poorboys products in Canada. Their shampoos are top notch.

While I appreciate the Auto Glym Video, if it`s the foam/suds you`re looking at I think it`s more cannon than shampoo. I can get that type of result with just about any soap I`ve tried with my cannon and pressure washer. This said, Auto Glym makes nice stuff.

I`ve been using both Mckee`s 37 and Poorboys shampoos recently. I can`t tell you they are the least expensive product but I sure love the way they smell (love the mint). The end result has been very good with both of these.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Not sure how the in country shipping is for you but maybe Steve will chime in here. I think I remember him pointing people towards sellers of Poorboys products in Canada. Their shampoos are top notch.

While I appreciate the Auto Glym Video, if it`s the foam/suds you`re looking at I think it`s more cannon than shampoo. I can get that type of result with just about any soap I`ve tried with my cannon and pressure washer. This said, Auto Glym makes nice stuff.

I`ve been using both Mckee`s 37 and Poorboys shampoos recently. I can`t tell you they are the least expensive product but I sure love the way they smell (love the mint). The end result has been very good with both of these.
    Heard good things about Mckee`s 37, but unfortunately I don`t think it`s available in Canada.
    eShine is probably the largest retail detailing supplier in Canada and lately they have been out of stock of the most sought after products and don`t seem to be restocking them.
    I think I am going to pick up several jugs of the Auto Glym Foaming Car Wash today, there is a 30% off sale on them.

Post Thanks / Like

With all the car wash soaps out there, both over-the-counter and "boutique" types, I still like Megs Professional No.62 Wash Conditioner, but it`s cost is about 3 times the Gold Class, SO it may not fit into your financial budget of a cost-effective car wash soap. it`s an exceptional wash for maintenance car wash cleaning via the 2-bucket method.
    The best "value" is 3D`s Pink Car Wash in a 5-gallon pail.

I would not use clothing soap due to its lack of lubrication; great for cleaning off dirt, BUT terrible for car finishes. Some have used Dawn Dish Soap with its cleaning ability, but again it`s lack of lubrication has been the subject of debate within this forum. Improper washing and drying techniques or improper or dirty wash and drying media are the main reason many vehicles have the dreaded swirls that are the bane (highly disliked by) of every detailer. Proper (AKA good) car wash soap is just part of that equation.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    With all the car wash soaps out there, both over-the-counter and "boutique" types, I still like Megs Professional No.62 Wash Conditioner, but it`s cost is about 3 times the Gold Class, SO it may not fit into your financial budget of a cost-effective car wash soap. it`s an exceptional wash for maintenance car wash cleaning via the 2-bucket method. The best "value" is 3D`s Pink Car Wash in a 5-gallon pail. I would not use clothing soap due to its lack of lubrication; great for cleaning off dirt, BUT terrible for car finishes. Some have used Dawn Dish Soap with its cleaning ability, but again it`s lack of lubrication has been the subject of debate within this forum. Improper washing and drying techniques or improper or dirty wash and drying media are the main reason many vehicles have the dreaded swirls that are the bane (highly disliked by) of every detailer. Proper (AKA good) car wash soap is just part of that equation.
    I have never really invested in wash soap mainly because I had a 5 gallon pail of a generic brand (Blue Corral) for the longest time until it ran out this summer. I mean washing the car wasn`t the real goal, it was the polishing and since the majority of the time a good wash meant it was going to be detailed there was no need for any expensive wash soap. Anyways I got enough Auto Glym Foam Wash and Meg`s Gold Class to last me a couple more years now. This summer has been awful here, never two days of sunshine ...rain, rain and more rain no need to wash the car !

Post Thanks / Like

EdLancer- Ah, I gather that you`re almost always correcting the vehicle afterwards, so I guess that my Shampoo criteria are utterly different from yours.

Lonnie- Ah, I`ll be using both the M62 and the 3D Pink as soon as I sign off here!

I`m still using up my M62 on wheels/wells/undercarriages and I`ll miss its scent after so many years (might even buy more). It might *cost* 3X GC, but it`s a solid 30X better IMO.

The 3D Pink (which I still mix 50:50 with Griot`s) remains, especially in the 5-gallon buckets, my overall fave. Only add the GG for a little added lubricity, otherwise the stuff is simply perfect IMO.

Heh heh, you dared to mention Dawn Dishwashing Liquid People can sure get worked up about that stuff... I agree about the lack of lubricity, and/but I`ve never experienced the "residue" post-rinsing that people sometimes talk about, nor does it strip LSP all that effectively for me, nor has it ever messed up any rubber/plastic. I still use their old (I think it`s "old" and discontinued..) Dawn Power Dissolver to clean my Pads now and then (another Lifetime Supply Product I`ve accumulated ).

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Accumulator; .....Heh heh, you dared to mention Dawn Dishwashing Liquid People can sure get worked up about that stuff... I agree about the lack of lubricity, and/but I`ve never experienced the "residue" post-rinsing that people sometimes talk about, nor does it strip LSP all that effectively for me, nor has it ever messed up any rubber/plastic. I still use their old (I think it`s "old" and discontinued..) Dawn Power Dissolver to clean my Pads now and then (another Lifetime Supply Product I`ve accumulated ).[/QUOTE]

Yup, discontinued in March of 2014, according to P&G because of low demand (IE, no 25% profit margin). If you see some anywhere, it is indeed, Old Stock. Last place I saw some was at Gordon`s Food Service, a bulk produce and party goods store that opened in the Green Bay area about 2 years ago in a 32-oz jug.
    GB detailer

Thread Information