Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Foam Cannons that work with Hoses?

It looks like most foam cannons are made to be used with pressure sprayers. Are there any that work as attachments on a garden hose? Also, once you`ve applied the foam, do you rinse it off before you start using a mitt and other car wash, or do you just start wiping down the foam?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Cannons that work with Hoses?

Quote Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
    It looks like most foam cannons are made to be used with pressure sprayers. Are there any that work as attachments on a garden hose? Also, once you`ve applied the foam, do you rinse it off before you start using a mitt and other car wash, or do you just start wiping down the foam?
    The sprayers that are used with a standard garden hose are typically referred to as Foam Guns where the ones that work with a pressure washer are called Foam Cannons. Essentially they accomplish the same thing though a Foam Cannon does a better job when it comes to creating copious amounts of "FOAM". Many users start with a Gun (price to enter the game) and somewhere along the way make the shift to a Cannon. There are a number of threads on this forum where users have complained about Cannons not being all that they had hoped for but after playing with the various settings find something that works for them. For me personally there really is no comparison. I still use my Gun to wash the garage floor but not vehicles. I`m not aware of any that have decided the Gun to be better tool and actually switched back to the Gun having made the jump to the Cannon. Just my .2 Cents.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes rlmccarty2000, mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a gun and after several uses I can`t decide if it`s worthwhile. Foam is supposed to loosen the dirt and make for a better and more efficient wash. Don`t know.

Post Thanks / Like

Living in an apartment, ya do what ya gotta do.
    I do it for a pre-soak, and to get some pressured soapy spray in wells & wheels. It`s also FUN !

Likes GearHead_1, nickclark08, Bindytou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Too cute, is this one yours?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Too cute, is this one yours?

Don`t think so, my son is 37, even my grandkids are older
    Thank you though Foam Cannons that work with Hoses?
    Likes Poorboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both foam guns and cannons. You can either presoak or foam and then wash directly. It is not a miracle clean all and if you have road film bonded dirt a regular soap will not remove it. I have used "stripping soaps" and AF Snow Foam, Adam`s, CG Citrus Wash and Gloss did make a noticeable difference.

Some use the foam / wipe method where you foam as you wipe the paint as a just in time foam method so the mitt is always wiping on foam.

In any event, there is a fun factor about it.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Regulars here know that I rely on my foamguns, used in conjunction with mitts and, *especially*, BHBs for my (relatively) marring-free washes. Utterly indispensable for me, couldn`t avoid the marring without them and I sure tried for decades.

I find the foamgun presoak to be of very limited value, but I do it anyhow if only to provide a well-lubed surface. And yeah...to slightly soften up the dirt. Not at all effective in the sense of actual cleaning compared to a pressure washer pre-rinse though.

I do *NOT* cover the vehicle with lots of sudsy output (I just can`t really think of it as "foam"..) and then rinse it off in an attempt to do a touchless, spray-on-rinse-off type of wash. Not even close to effective and an utter waste of shampoo IME.

For me, the trick is to spray foamgun output at the point of BHB/mitt-to-paint contact. The sudsy output provides constant lubrication and flushing. By moving the wash medium in short, interrupted, jiggling motions, the foamgun`s output flushes the vast majority of dirt off the vehicle; the dirt doesn`t get stuck in the wash medium and thus dragged across the paint (potentially causing marring). The BHB is especially good for this, and infinitely easier to use than a mitt, which IMO must not be worn as a glove nor pressed firmly against the vehicle (my version of "how to use a wash mitt" is pretty involved..). I try to get as much dirt as possible off with the BHB/foamgun before switching to the mitt/foamgun, but that`s challenging as, *used properly*, the BHB/foamgun is one awfully gentle process.

Although I do use Rinse Buckets, at the end of a filthy-vehicle wash there is seldom any dirt in that rinse water. With my boosted pressure, I can often just skip the Rinse Bucket during the BHB step as they rinse clean so thoroughly that there`s simply no dirt stuck to the bristles. No idea whether that`d work without the pressure boost though, so be careful if you try that.

Note that this approach (especially the initial passes done with the BHB/foamgun combo) is *so* gentle that multiple passes are required to get all the dirt off. Failure to do all those passes can result in panels that *look* clean, but are still sufficiently contaminated as to result in marring if rubbed with a Drying Towel.

The above approach has worked so well for me that I basically no longer do whole-vehicle corrections, period. Just no need as my paint no longer gets marred up. Utterly changed Detailing for me.

Credit where credit is due: the now MIA YoSteve first introduced me to the foamgun. I worked with the idea for countless washes before I decided upon a system that works for me. No, it wasn`t something that I could get all sorted out in just a few dozen washes

Just FWIW, everybody who`s ever seen me do my wash regimen...and I`ll note that these were not Autopians...said the same thing- "You`re nuts, there`s no way I`d ever do that, not for any reason, not ever." Just too much hard work...and I bet that even the obvious thought that goes into every second of the process is more than most would want to invest; takes complete, focused concentration even after having done it countless times. I don`t even have the radio on lest it distract me. Most people would probably rather just have scratched paint.

Post Thanks / Like

It is called a Gilmour foam gun and there are other brands and variations. My car sits at work where it is quite dusty due to spotter trucks moving trailers around our building. Even though it is a tarred parking lot and roadway around the building a lot of dust still gets kicked up and of course it seems to land mainly on my black car. I noticed that when using it that it does a nice job of removing this dust layer better than just spraying it with water alone. I have a compact/portable pressure washer and it is a pain to hook up just to spray water, no attachment or no way to induce soap with it. I just use cheap Blue Coral car wash and save the higher priced soap for the hand wash. It only costs a few bucks for a half gallon and I mix in about 3 to 4 ounces into the quart cup and it makes nice suds. I have it set quite heavy so I use it up in one soaking. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it off then hand wash. I only use one bucket and when done there is very little if any dirt in the bottom of the bucket when I am done.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Foam Cannons that work with Hoses?

If one wanted one - is a Gilmour the way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few options out there Gilmour happens to be the higher end and adjustable. I have the BlackFire branded Gilmour and like it but still think it was on the high priced side. I just did a quick search and looks like are are more simple, cheaper, versions that do the same thing. It comes down to budget and how much do you want to spend.

They also have tornado cleaners that use air that I actually thought about buying but my compressor doesn`t have the output to run one.
    Dean.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I started with the Gilmour and even organized one of the first group buys so many years ago. I have used it on and off until this past year when I tried a foam cannon .

The difference is night and day and with soaps now geared at these machines they work even better as a pre-soak .. NO it will not replace a good mitt and a few buckets!!

It will start to soften the dirt, it will give more lubrication than if nothing was used , and it does add some fun to the wash

I would not cheap out on a foam gun as the brass fittings and adjuster will last and the plastic copies will break .. The foam cannons all seem to have brass or similar metal.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

skibik- Comparing your success using the foamgun that way with how it went for me just goes to show how YMMV! always applies. But then I do let mine get *awfully* dirty before I ever wash `em too It bet it works great on that dust you`re dealing with, and I can even think of reasons why it might be *better* than using the pressure washer in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I would not cheap out on a foam gun as the brass fittings and adjuster will last and the plastic copies will break ..
    Good advice IMO, not that I ever tried Gilmour`s Foam MasterII with the plastic dial...couldn`t figure out how I`d take it apart to clean the orifices for one thing, and adjusting the brass mixing bar (to change dilution or switch to clear water) gets to be second-nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Pov

I`ve got the (plastic) Gilmour Foam Master II. It`s taken a beating and still works as well as the day I purchased it. I don`t know if it`s 10 yrs old yet, but can`t be far off.

I`ll replace it with the same if that become necessary.

I, too, was worried about it getting rinsed out and getting plugged up. That`s never happened. I rarely rinse it any longer.

Post Thanks / Like

tom p.- Ah, OK, thanks for that. Sounds like my durability/cleaning/clog fears were unfounded...well, at least in your case; I do have to take mine apart to clear the orifices now and then, even with the softener.

Gotta admit that a big part of my preference for the sliding bar is just familiarity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information