Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Black trim and rubber molding.

What products are recommended for cleaning and preserving (sealing) the black trim and rubber door moldings?
    I have smooth black,textured black, and smooth shiny black b pillars.
    Thank you. Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black trim and rubber molding.

Look into Gyeon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

rickyrue- Welcome to Autopia!

You`ll undoubtedly get a lot of differing suggestions on this one as there are a number of (generally) viable approaches. Here`s what I do:

-Clean them with Griot`s Garage Rubber Prep (no matter what condition they`re in or I`m gonna do)
    -Big Job Approach is to seal them with Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard Plus ("UTTG+")
    -Quick Job Approach is to just go over them with a Spray Wax (e.g. Optimum Car Wax- "OCW", Meguiar`s Ultimate Quik Wax/D156- "UQW")
    -Then at each wash I wipe them while drying the vehicle using a MicroFiber towel ("MF") or, if I`m in BIG hurry, I just go over them with whatever I`m using for my Drying Aid (which is sometimes one of those Spray Waxes anyhow)

Once in a blue moon I`ll redo the UTTG+, *maybe* doing a proper prep with the GG Rubber Prep, but not always as it`s just not 100% necessary every time.

Note that I do *NOT*, under any circumstances, use an Exterior Rubber/Vinyl Dressing ("ERVD"). Too much dust attraction/retention, too great a chance of streaking runs when the vehicle gets rained on. There are newer products that aren`t too susceptible to such issues, but I just stick with the above, which works *perfectly* for me, keeping my trim/seals in great shape for decades.

NOW...compare that with what others suggest and see what`s right for *you*.

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys trim restorer is pretty good if its really faded

Otherwise I find myself using UQW on the trim pieces on customers cars in the past but recently I switched to a silica spray sealant from a company not sold on Autopia so I won`t mention the brand but it works really well for me and that is the only thing I use that silica sealant for now.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

-Clean them with Griot`s Garage Rubber Prep (no matter what condition they`re in or I`m gonna do)
    Just to clarify, as I just picked up a bottle - The Griot`s Rubber Prep works for plastics as well? Thinking along the lines of BMW textured plastic trim or GM step pads/mud flaps/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Just to clarify, as I just picked up a bottle - The Griot`s Rubber Prep works for plastics as well? Thinking along the lines of BMW textured plastic trim or GM step pads/mud flaps/etc.
    Yes.

It`s worked fine on all the plastics I`ve tried it on: black/other color, smooth/textured, soft/hard. You name it, I`ve used Rubber Prep on it without any problems and with great results. Used it on those kind of things (exact same things in fact) numerous times, often scrubbing with the most aggressive thing I can get away with (without marring up the surface), using a LOOONG dwell time too.

Of course, since YMMV! only bites us when we make assumptions (such as "Accumulator`s experience will directly translate to mine.." ), you oughta try an inconspicuous area first, but I`d sure *NOT* expect any issues since I`ve simply never had any.

It never damaged paint or metal surfaces when I had an !oops! but it will strip LSP/etc.

You mentioned BMW exterior plastic trim- Hey, that`s *one* job it didn`t do! I had some ancient/previous-owner "white stains" on a piece of e36 beltline trim, and the Rubber Prep couldn`t get it out. Didn`t do any damage though, and nothing else could get the stains out either, ended up replacing it.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

rickyrue- Welcome to Autopia!

You`ll undoubtedly get a lot of differing suggestions on this one as there are a number of (generally) viable approaches. Here`s what I do:

-Big Job Approach is to seal them with Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard Plus ("UTTG+")
    Did you use the UTTG+ on the smooth rubber window trim with good results? I thoroughly cleaned the trim, applied UTTG and let it sit overnight. The next day it still looked wet so I went over it very lightly with a towel, and at that point it removed everything and the trim looked like it did before I started. I`ve tried it twice and both times it didn`t appear to work very well.

Thanks.

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kappy View Post
    Did you use the UTTG+ on the smooth rubber window trim with good results? I thoroughly cleaned the trim, applied UTTG and let it sit overnight. The next day it still looked wet so I went over it very lightly with a towel, and at that point it removed everything and the trim looked like it did before I started. I`ve tried it twice and both times it didn`t appear to work very well.

Thanks.
    Are you sure that you used the Rubber Prep and not the rubber cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    Are you sure that you used the Rubber Prep and not the rubber cleaner?
    I used Mother`s Back to Black Trim Cleaner, and then Optimum All Purpose Cleaner. Is the Griot`s Rubber Prep that much different or better?

Post Thanks / Like

Kappy- With one more nod to "YMMV as you just never know...", I`ve used the UTTG+ with complete success/satisfaction on those surfaces (smooth rubber trim around vehicle windows) numerous times on *very* different vehicles with trim ranging from "oughta just replace that" to "showroom new".

And yeah, the GG Rubber Prep is a very special product. I`ve never used the B-t-B but I have used Optimum`s Power Clean (which I do really like for greasy messes). I`ve also used a lot of other APCs and a few Rubber Cleaners (including the oh-so-mild GG one). For this particular job (exterior plastic/rubber surfaces) I get the best results with the GG Rubber Prep.

If something`s really nasty I`ll use other means/products on it first to do the heavy lifting. E.g., I`ve had to spend a *LOT* of time getting some exterior rubber decent enough for the GG Rubber Prep, it was just so deteriorated/oxidized that I needed to "get the dead rubber off first". Scare-quotes as I don`t know if that`s a truly accurate explanation of what I did, but it was like that for practical purposes. I used a known-OK-for this compound (oh man, don`t use the wrong stuff or you`ll never get it off) for the first of literally countless passes. Heh heh, on some vehicles like my Tahoe I literally spent more than a full afternoon just getting such stuff good enough to switch to the Rubber Prep. While this just wouldn`t fly for a Pro, I was willing to spend a good week on it and I`ve never had to do a Big Job on it since, easy to keep it nice once you get it that way.

But hey, that was awful trim that many would`ve written off. I bet yours is a lot nicer so the GG Rubber Prep oughta get it ready just fine. Now if you DO use that, and the UTTG+ still doesn`t penetrate...well, I`ll apologize in advance while reminding you again how !YMMV! always applies, and/but I`ll also encourage you to get hold of Ultima and see what *they* have to say about why their product isn`t working for you in its intended role.

Absolute worst-case is that you`ll have two swell products on the shelf that just didn`t work for one specific application. Lots of other uses for both...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the "detailed" explanation.

I only have one car, and like everyone else, I already have a cabinetful of products that I bought that didn`t live up to expectations and have no use for any of them. Having said that, I`ll watch for a sale that`s too tempting to resist and think about ordering the GG Rubber Prep. In fact, I have a neighbor who is restoring a 1985 Porsche that`s been sitting in his garage since 2005, and maybe I can talk him into ordering the Rubber Prep so I can borrow it.

Post Thanks / Like

kappy- Heh heh, yeah...let your neighbor gamble on it being All That And yeah#2 I share your disdain for products that others rave about yet failed for me; I don`t recommend that GG Rubber Prep/UTTG+ combo lightly and if it does NOT work for you I want to be the first to hear about it.

Post Thanks / Like

kappy- Heh heh, yeah...let your neighbor gamble on it being All That And yeah#2 I share your disdain for products that others rave about yet failed for me; I don`t recommend that GG Rubber Prep/UTTG+ combo lightly and if it does NOT work for you I want to be the first to hear about it.
    What`s your preferred method for applying the UTTG+? I`ve tried to apply various trim products using a small foam brush, microfiber applicator, and a piece of foam that`s about the width of the trim, hoping to avoid getting it on the paint. It`s not too difficult around the base of the window, but there are other places where it`s even more narrow, and takes a steadier hand than I`ve got.

Post Thanks / Like

kappy- If something really tricky to do I use a small swab or even one of the little disposable Touchup Brushes. Sometimes I`ll take a wooden swab stick and feather the end of it with a razor blade to make a little brush.

Fortunately, IME it`s not a huge deal if you get a little UTTG+ on well-LSPed paint, and I usually do the trim sealant after the LSP.

Eh, in general, I find UTTG+ to be one mighty easy, forgiving product...it`s definitely in that Accumulator-proof category.

I will note that this is another of those things where I might take a *LONG* time to do something that others would want done in just a few hours, but once it`s done I can just maintain with Spray Wax for ages so it`s worth it *to me*.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, again.

I bought the Rubber Prep to see if it will make any difference. Once it arrives I`ll try it on one small section and let you know if the UTTG works better than it did previously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information