Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need SERIOUS help with bugs!

I still maintain

PB Bug Squash & bug micro
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Last month I polished and coated my daughters car with CSL/EXO here is a before wash and after of the front. I used the Poor Boys bug squash (1:1 mixture) and towel which made removal quick and easy.

Thanks OpenRoad thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bug removal is actually the one task I`ll do after nearly every drive...

I`ve tried several of the insect removers out there, at all different price points, like 1z/NextZ, PB, Autosol, OPC... carwash soap at full strength... all sorts of things. This has always been a battle, especially with my Wife`s car when she was driving about an hour one-way to work every day. Personally, I`ve come to a point of just a using a coat of Opti-Seal on a clean base, then, bugs can be pre-treated with ONR at clay or detailer-strength. In some cases, especially on side mirror housings, I will take a Webril wipe soaked in ONR and stretch it over the bug area and let it sit to soften up the insects (looks ridiculous to do this, but it works). A MF can work too, maybe cut into 3"x3" sections. The material has to stay damp for it to work.

Bugs which have dried onto nonprotected paint are tough. I`ve had a little bit of luck with incorporating "almost hot" water into the wash/removal process. I`ve also tried some spot bug removal with a bit of the much-maligned Meg`s Wash-Plus. Not saying I`ve used a bunch of it, but it has helped in some cases. I will always take a 5-gallon bucket for whatever wash solution I`m using, then divide off a gallon into a smaller bucket for bug jobs, and keep changing that smaller bucket more often. Someone should make a smaller grit-guard setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Don- IMO you oughta just use a LSP that resists/sheds the bugs so you can just wash `em off.
    Likes OpenRoad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Don- IMO you oughta just use a LSP that resists/sheds the bugs so you can just wash `em off.
    the issue isn`t what *i* use for an LSP the issue is that these customers use for an LSP mainly nothing at all. So all these insectile suicides have nothing between them and the paint so when they harden, they are like cement. and I am supposed to be the miracle worker that is able to remove every wing leg and antennae without leaving any scars on the paint even though they have been there for weeks
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    the issue isn`t what *i* use for an LSP the issue is that these customers....
    Oh oh oh...my bad, sorry...somehow missed that this was about their vehicles and not yours

Post Thanks / Like

I have so many applications of Souveran meguiars ulw that it must be close to an inch thick by now and I wash my car almost 2 times a week nothing has a chance to stick
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Don- Heh heh, with the way Souveran (doesn`t ) last for me you *must* have an inch of it on there to work so well! Now if those customers would just get on the ball....

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out these things are `Mayflies` or `Canadian Soldiers.` And the closer you get to Lake Erie, the more prevalent they get.
    Yep, know your pain. We have lake flies that are very similar from Lake Winnebago and bay flies from Green Bay (West-central Lake Michigan). This little critter`s larva is what the sturgeon that live in these waters eat and thrive on. This is THE time of the year when they hatch and if you happen to drive into a hatch swarm (usually late evening) they can decimate a vehicle and cause accidents because they cover the windshield upon impact and make the road slippery when they are run over (really!)
    My wife had that unfortunate experience of running into a hatch coming back from southern Door County next to Green Bay about 7 years ago at about sunset this time of year. She had to stop twice to clean off the windshield so she could see out. I should have taken pictures!. It was a light blue Nissan Maxima and when I saw it the next morning, it was black on the hood, front end, and half the roof!!! Yes, I cleaned it off with a bug pad and lots of elbow grease. Luckily, those little buggers (pun intended!) came off easily as it was the next day. If you leave them bake on in the summer sun, (as many drivers do), that`s a different story.
    The WORST bugs to get off are grasshoppers. They will etch your paint, literally, if you leave them on for any length of time. I feel sorry for those of you in the Central and Upper Plains who have to encounter those many big bug splats!!
    GB detailer
    Likes OpenRoad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have so many applications of Souveran meguiars ulw that it must be close to an inch thick by now and I wash my car almost 2 times a week nothing has a chance to stick
    Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax is what goes on the front of the vehicles in my house....doesn`t keep everything from sticking, but makes removal much easier

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s really bad, I soak a beach towel in warm/hot water. Then spray the front/bug invested area with your favorite bug remover (I use P21s Auto Wash) and let then drape the front of the car with the moisten towel. Let it dwell for 10-15 minutes then use a bug sponge and gentle agitate. Should do the trick - presoaking is key!
    Likes OpenRoad, Nosnibor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray, let it set for a minute or two but don`t let it dry. Wipe off with a damp cloth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax is what goes on the front of the vehicles in my house....doesn`t keep everything from sticking, but makes removal much easier
    I tried typing Souveran AND Megs Ult Liquid Wax, and yes it does make things stick less drastically to the paint.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

here`s bugsquash and a soled for 15 minutes bug sponge at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Ronkh, BadgerRivFan, Poorboy liked this post

Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet another vote for diluted PB Bug Squash.

For all the customers who bring you cars who expect Miracles? NOT. Can you convince your customers to add some form of protection to their paint, so that the nasty/etching-bug-guts won`t actually initially damage the factory paint? Modern paint skins seem more akin to driving less than 20 miles to WallyWorld, with the least bit of concern for the driver/purchaser?

Been through May Flies, as well as Love Bugs, BIG grasshoppers (Horse Lubbers), etc. My cars have always spent life on the "real road" (throughout Canader/USA). Why, drive a car, if it can only be a Garage Queen? Surface protection certainly does help against dissolving/removing these nasty tiny varmints (only second to bird poo?). My rides tend to be protected inside a garage almost daily, but that doesn`t mean that they don`t forge into nasty tiny critters who love to eat away modern (and not-so-modern) automotive paint? Damn those teeny-tiny bugs?

Hasn`t been under 106 in a week here (106-110), so please forgive my rants. My "recent/new-ride" still plastered from bugs a few days ago.

Good surface prep, sealing, in combo with PB`s? Great product.
    Likes Ronkh, Poorboy liked this post
    Thanks Civicclutch thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information