Post Thanks / Like

Does burned paint eventually peel?

I picked up a BMW from Carmax with 100k warranty on Friday. Absolutely gorgeous car, except a 1.5x1" round burn on the bottom of the left quarter panel. Has anyone ever experienced a burn leading to clear coat failure/peeling around the burn? The burn itself is so minor that I can deal with it, and I`m going to bring it to CarMax`s attention to hopefully have leverage should it peel in the next 5 years under warranty, but just wondering if I have a repaint to look forward to due to peeling?
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does burned paint eventually peel?

No clue as to the answer to your direct question, but if it is a "burn through" will lead to failure.

But I am wondering if it could be that a sticker/decal could have been there and it`s a color shift due to that.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lets see a pic. Id love to see Carmax or any car dealer honor a warranty of almost any kind in 5 years, specially paint related and especially paint related on an already used car. I think you shouldnt hold your breath on that one man.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Pics please.

Post Thanks / Like

BluBrett- Not in my experience. I`ve bought cars with NASTY rotary-burns, and those were merely unsightly; never failed, at least not before I had them repainted.

I suppose it`s theoretically possible that enough heat could cause the paint to separate/unadhere, but I`ve never see it.

That said, I couldn`t live with it and/but I`d be leery of opening that can-o`-worms...sure hope you know a great painter if you do decide to fix it.

Ronkh- Since you`re on the other side of this fence from Yours Truly, I`d be interested to hear about any case(s) where you *have* observed it leading to outright failure. My experiences sure aren`t, uhm... absolutely authoritative.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed a tiny burn on the edge of my 1/4 panel as soon as you open the door and it killed me seeing that, but I`m positive it will not fail if I stay on it and keep it protected. I keep an eye on it and there is zero signs of spread failure ever since we got the car like almost 2 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I noticed a tiny burn on the edge of my 1/4 panel as soon as you open the door and it killed me seeing that, but I`m positive it will not fail if I stay on it and keep it protected. I keep an eye on it and there is zero signs of spread failure ever since we got the car like almost 2 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    BluBrett- Not in my experience. I`ve bought cars with NASTY rotary-burns, and those were merely unsightly; never failed, at least not before I had them repainted.

I suppose it`s theoretically possible that enough heat could cause the paint to separate/unadhere, but I`ve never see it.

That said, I couldn`t live with it and/but I`d be leery of opening that can-o`-worms...sure hope you know a great painter if you do decide to fix it.

Ronkh- Since you`re on the other side of this fence from Yours Truly, I`d be interested to hear about any case(s) where you *have* observed it leading to outright failure. My experiences sure aren`t, uhm... absolutely authoritative.
    These two responses make me feel better. Hopefully the fact that it`s a lower side panel and not a hood, boot, or roof, that will help the paint last long.
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red

Post Thanks / Like

BluBrett- Even if it does eventually fail, it won`t happen any time soon and you can always deal with it IF/when it actually becomes a genuine issue. If the appearance doesn`t bother you then I just wouldn`t worry...I mean..gee, I`ve had spots on the Tahoe that`re down to the e-coat for years and even with salty Ohio winters they`ve never become a rust-out issue or anything like that. Just keeping compromised stuff clean and protected can go an awfully long way IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Managed to get a burn mark the size of a Quarter on the rear bumper of my daughters M35X when I first detailed it five years ago. Nothing came of it.

Got it repainted for free as part of a quarter panel and door repair by the body shop that fixed the damage caused by a driver pulling out into traffic and hitting the car.

PS excellent body shop!

Post Thanks / Like

I have first hand experience with this. My old Pathfinder was in the 40-70 micron rage all the way around. The CC was soooo thin & there were a few tiny "burnt spots"...One I had for years - and it didn`t peel.

However, I would say the caveat is the difference between vertical and horizontal panels. If it`s on the roof/hood/trunk & the car sees a lotta sun - it`s more likely to peel. Horizontal panels not so much.

Also, color will make a difference. I would assume reds, blues, blacks will peel before silver and other light colors..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    .. I would say the caveat is the difference between vertical and horizontal panels. If it`s on the roof/hood/trunk... it`s more likely to peel. Horizontal panels not so much...
    Typo perhaps? Just askin`...

Thread Information