Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How to get oil off the car

I`m posting this because when I did a google search not much turned up that helped my situation. I work at a refinery (the kind that processes crude into daily products) and was parked downwind from a decoking unit (the last step of processing) that blew hot oil on my car. Now this is quite different than hot tar from the road along the lower part of the car, as it was 800 degree oil blown from a 100 foot structure perhaps an eighth of mile up wind from where I parked. So I had pin head sized spots of oil on most all the car - not totally covering the car - sort of atomized in appearance spread over the surface

So I try my standard regimen of Goo Gone, Goof Off, WD40 and baby oil.... one of which removed this in the past.....well none applied with sacrificial mf`s budged it this time. I then clay barred and that did the trick but I knew it would be a long process doing it and would go through at least two bars to finish the job. So went to the auto parts store and bought a can of Stoner Tarminator, followed the directions, did half panels and removed 98% of the stuff. Then did a Dawn wash, claying the glass (wasn`t confident enough to use Tarminator on glass) then a topping of Duragloss 501/601 with a white pad and PC.... and that brought my car around to where I normally keep it. Hurrah!

Keep it clean,
    CA
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get oil off the car

Wheew. Maybe get a cover or 18. Each time they get too bad switch it out. That sucks
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Nah. I actually sold a black Mustang and bought a silver one just because of messed up circumstances when parking at work. I bought a high dollar cover for the black one.....they`re are a big pia to use. This really has only happened a few times through the years but still sucks when it does occur.
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Try apc
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

ValuGard`s "A" comes to mind as it oughta be safe for Auto paint/materials.

Potent degreasers like the ones used in the first step of Paint Over Rust processes will work great, but I dunno if I`d use `em for this.

Wonder if P21s Total Auto Wash would be potent enough...

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve also read of kerosene, mineral spirits, 3M general adhesive remover and diesel used without any ill effect - I`ve never used any of these - but listed what didn`t work. Just came here to post how well Tarminator did work for me and my other steps to restore the paint. Did a search on the threads here and this product is seldom mentioned although it seems like it may be readily available (I`m buying a few more cans today and stash away)

Keep it clean,
    CA

Post Thanks / Like

It`s usually a split vote between Tar-X and Tarminator. I`ve never used Tarminator , but Tar-X is my go-to for tar. Glad to hear Tarminator did the job for you.
    Likes Merlin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

citizen arcane- I`m a big fan of the 3M Adhesive Remover (though I would NOT use it for this application). Did you get the aerosol or the non?

SO many people seem to like the Tarminator...never used it myself though.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your opinion I wouldn`t use or advocate 3M`s use either - once again, just something I read. But can attest again to Tarminator in the aerosol can - as always read and follow the directions.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best and cheapest "solvents" for oil is gasoline itself. Now it is not healthy to use, nor is environmentally friendly. It DOES work to dissolve tar and oil on paint or chromed metal, but I would be reluctant to use it on plastic, vinyl, and definitely NOT rubber.

I am more "concerned" about the company that spews oil/tar into the environment without EPA or state department of natural resources/environment "intervention". Just saying......
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

citizen arcane- I`ve never had any problems on paint from using the 3M, but I just dunno about doing the whole car with it and/or letting it dwell for a long time. Just because it`s been fine for me, well...YMMV! and all that and better safe than sorry. Especially since the Tarminator works fine for you. Kinda funny that I`ve never used it for anything...

Lonnie- IME gasoline leaves a nasty film of its own...might just be the gas in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

Duplicolor Wax and Greaser Remover paint prep. Cheaper to buy it in gallon size than quart.
    https://duplicolor.com/product/grease-and-wax-removers

How to get oil off the car-greaseremover.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me - my go to would be mineral spirits or Tar X..

Please people, don`t use gasoline on you car`s paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post

Please people, don`t use gasoline on you car`s paint.
    Heh, I don`t make a habit of it and wouldn`t do it over a wide area but I`ve done that in a pinch.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Before putting yourself out the time and money getting things clean have you approached the company to make it right. My father worked at a plant that produced acid and they had a similar incident that resulted in pain damage to a bunch of cars in the lot. They covered the cost of having them repaired / repainted. If it effects enough people, they might be willing to make it right for you.
    Big dreams, No cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed with a little bit of stupidity!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information