Thread: Multimatch 2?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Multimatch 2?

Has anyone purchased the Multimatch 2? I was interested in purchasing the Multimatch and a rolling stand. I went to the manufacturers site to learn more about the product, but it looks like the Multimatch is going to be discontinued soon and replaced by the Multimatch 2. I am having some difficulty tracking the newer version down in the US. The newer light offers two different colors along with a dimmer and battery gauge.

I would prefer to buy the newer model of the product if the previous model is going to be discontinued, unless for some reason the previous model is more reliable. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multimatch 2?

See this post from Mike Phillips. Based on what Mike P wrote the first gen will not be discontinued.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1450773

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I spoke with Jason Cox at SCANGRIP and the Sunmatch 2 is really more for painters, not detailers.

Autogeek will carry it however so if you want it you now have a sources. I just checked and we don`t have it yet so hang tight.
    On page 4

QUOTE=Marc08EX;1450831]Mike,

What are the improvements on the Sunmatch 2? From what I can tell, it`s mainly just the increase in lumens but I may be wrong. Is it worth waiting for the Sunmatch 2 or would this suffice?[/QUOTE]

The major difference is the increase in lumens.

I spoke with Jason Cox about this and we both agree this is not a feature that will help detailers.

I would not purchase the Sunmatch 2 for car detailing I would stick with the best tool for the job and that`s the one we carry right now.

Again remember... these tools originally were created for painters trying to create an accurate color match when blending paint for collision work. The Sunmatch 2 is really overkill for car detailing and simply a more powerful option for painters.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Mike thanks for providing this additional information. I just saw the SEMA video on scangrip`s channel and after seeing the new version I completely agree with you that the original is good enough. I look forward to mine coming in and trying it out.

Mike one other question. With the release of the sunmatch2, will the previous models be phased out or will they stick around?

To add on a little more to what Mike already provided, the scangrip2 will have two color options. 4500K and 6500K.

From my conversation with Jason at SCANGRIP the answer is "no".

That`s correct and I believe the reason for this is one light color option is for inspecting and looking at white and light colors and the other color option is for inspecting and looking at black and dark colors. Again, this is for when a painter is MIXING paint to make an accurate color match for doing collision work.

Just to note,

Collision work is when a body shop and painter repair just a panel or section of a car. They don`t repaint the entire car. Thus they need to make the paint they are going to spray match the existing paint.

A custom paint job would be getting the entire car painted.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Angus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thank you for your response back.I greatly appreciate the input. I think the Sumatch 2 light is very similar to the Multimatch 2 as far as the color temperatures go, therefore maybe it wouldn`t really matter which model I purchased. I do see both the Sunmatch and Sunmatch 2 listed on Scangrips site, only the Multimatch 2 is listed in their menu. At the bottom of the page they state "The MULTIMATCH, our first generation rechargeable colour match light, will be discontinued and replaced by MULTIMATCH 2.", so maybe they are planning on keeping both Sunmatch models around and only keeping the Multimatch 2 around?

It appears the Multimatch 2 has the capability to be a little brighter than the first model 2500lm vs 2000lm. I think the major advantage of the Multimatch 2 is that the brightness can be scaled from 250-2500lm in 5 increments which at the lower settings would allow for a longer battery life.

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re going to purchase from them directly, get a Nova 5K C+R. I have that model and it blows away the multi-match two. It comes with the revised gen 2 body style.

Original NOVA 5K C+R - SCANGRIP.COM A/S

I also have the Nova which is a must have for coatings, it shows flashing and high spots perfect.

A+ innovative and lightweight VEGA 4000 floodlight - SCANGRIP.COM A/S
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Thanks NLove thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NLove View Post
    Mike, thank you for your response back.I greatly appreciate the input. I think the Sumatch 2 light is very similar to the Multimatch 2 as far as the color temperatures go, therefore maybe it wouldn`t really matter which model I purchased. I do see both the Sunmatch and Sunmatch 2 listed on Scangrips site, only the Multimatch 2 is listed in their menu. At the bottom of the page they state "The MULTIMATCH, our first generation rechargeable colour match light, will be discontinued and replaced by MULTIMATCH 2.", so maybe they are planning on keeping both Sunmatch models around and only keeping the Multimatch 2 around?

It appears the Multimatch 2 has the capability to be a little brighter than the first model 2500lm vs 2000lm. I think the major advantage of the Multimatch 2 is that the brightness can be scaled from 250-2500lm in 5 increments which at the lower settings would allow for a longer battery life.
    I wonder if something recently changed. The first gen is good. Detailed Image carries the second gen on some of the scangrip lights.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post

I also have the Nova which is a must have for coatings, it shows flashing and high spots perfect.

A+ innovative and lightweight VEGA 4000 floodlight - SCANGRIP.COM A/S
    Where did you source it from?
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    Where did you source it from?
    I bought mine from a forum member in Denmark, they were selling a bunch in one shot.

The only online spot I know of besides ebay is this site, https://eng.worklightpro.com/all-sca...ip-nova-5k-cr/
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I reached out to Scangrip and they put me in touch with Jason from Innovative Tools. Innovative Tools works with a number of distributors, Detailed Image happens to be one of them. Scangrip will be discontinuing the Multimatch and Multimatch 2 will take its place, however there is still a large supply of the Multimatch. The demand for the Multimatch 2 isn`t as great in the US and after emailing with him it sounds like I would have to purchase the Multimatch 2 and rolling stand separately.

Innovative Tools does not sell direct, but they would be willing to work with me through Detailed Image to purchase the Multimatch 2. I could then pick it up in St Paul at will call in MN rather than have it shipped to me. I wish the light and stand came as a package, the cost difference might not be worth buying the newer version though. I will have a decision to make.

I hope this information is useful to people. I have a habit (good or bad you can decide) of purchasing newer versions of products vs older.

On a side note, I built a "Zach Light" this week and it is freaking awesome. Now I have the itch to purchase more lights though.
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The first generation is on sale on another site for $99.99. Price match time!

Thread Information