Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Honda Accord Window Trim

I guess some of my black exterior pieces would qualify as "piano finish"..the "B" pillars of the A8/S8 and the sideview mirrors on the Tahoe. Smooth, very shiny, hard plastics.

I correct them as needed (which isn`t often, sure not annually), and do them with the Klasse Twins (numerous layers of KSG) and then maintain with the Sonus Acrylic Spritz.

Those are about the only black plastic/rubber bits that I don`t UTGG+ other than the tires and the bumpercover/beltline trim bits on the `93 Audi that *look* like textured black plastics but are really a satin black paint over whatever kind of plastic they are. Those wear FK1000P (which I thought might stain them, but no...all OK).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Celticsfan- I`ve never used that Menzerna product, but the ones I have used had *WAY* too many oils for me (when it comes to this application). Be sure to a) break the product down and especially 2) get *ALL* the polishing oils of/out of the plastic, otherwise it`ll be a real mess after they dissipate, which is often much later after you`ve thought all was well.

Don`t mean to scare you off the idea, but I dunno...
    Ahh good to know, ill hold off and try the wax lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    If they get bad enough they look rainbow ish

You can use essence on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What pad worked best for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Celticsfan- FWIW, if you decide to throw some $ at this, the HD Polish works fine for me. Finishes out OK despite not being a diminishing abrasive, cleans away nicely so you won`t have surprises. I still use some of my ancient other stuff now and then, but the HD is a pretty easy recommendation that I have confidence in.

I usually just do `em by hand with a MF, but my 3"-4" "regular polishing pads" (heh heh, note those scare-quotes..I`m not current on today`s pads ) work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, might as well add:

I`d *NEVER* recommend that anybody use M205 for the smooth/glossy exterior plastics. Worst stuff I`ve ever tried on them, even though it looked *FINE* for a few days. Left them (bits on the Tahoe) looking not only micromarred, but so dried-out that I was genuinely concerned. Once those pesky Trade Secret Oils dissipated it was a horror show...I didn`t even drive it until I`d fixed that.

Post Thanks / Like

I would start with a white pad if using LC pads. You could even use it by hand on a MF applicator or a dual sided foam one the kind that are black on one side and orange on the other . Since it’s a carpro polish it’s not a long working polish. It will add protection as well

It works well by hand for an area like that

Post Thanks / Like

Celticsfan- FWIW, if you decide to throw some $ at this, the HD Polish works fine for me. Finishes out OK despite not being a diminishing abrasive, cleans away nicely so you won`t have surprises. I still use some of my ancient other stuff now and then, but the HD is a pretty easy recommendation that I have confidence in.

I usually just do `em by hand with a MF, but my 3"-4" "regular polishing pads" (heh heh, note those scare-quotes..I`m not current on today`s pads ) work fine.
    I washed the car today and figured I`d try the wax route, tried BF Midnight Sun Paste Wax, and Pinnacle Signature Series II. Both darkened the trim but the spotting remained. I do have some Gyeon Water spot remover which I thought about after the fact so I`ll have to wait until that wears off.

I don`t have many compounds/polishes as I don`t really do much correction more maintenance, I had acquired a few samples of Mez 300, 400, 3800, and the 3in1. I also got some Essence, should I try that by hand with a white polishing pad?

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly can try to maneuver that pad by hand with the essence. You could even put some on a MF towel and rub it in. It’s really not much work should get quite a bit of dirt off it too essence cleans well too. It’s all trial and error to get a feel and look you like. I think you will like the results I’m no pro but I got 2 Honda’s right now.

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly can try to maneuver that pad by hand with the essence. You could even put some on a MF towel and rub it in. It’s really not much work should get quite a bit of dirt off it too essence cleans well too. It’s all trial and error to get a feel and look you like. I think you will like the results I’m no pro but I got 2 Honda’s right now.

Well first hand experience with the same thing is good enough for me! In theory couldn’t I just take the essence on a small foam pad (have the polishing pal handle) and just go over the panel with the essence ? That should remove the wax? I think I have orange white and red foam 3” pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep just got over it after it’s clean/washed to your liking anyways

Let us know how it works out

Post Thanks / Like

Yep just got over it after it’s clean/washed to your liking anyways

Let us know how it works out

Might attempt it today, cars been garaged since I washed it. Going to put PA rain on the windshield and rear window that I won last year in a giveaway...long overdue !

Post Thanks / Like

Didn`t polish the whole car, but used HD Speed on the chrome trim plastic window trim. Topped it all with Collinte 845 (side windows, paint and trim)

2015 Honda Accord Window Trim-crv.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with this. HD polish+ finishes amazing for a SMAT polish and wipes away without leaving a bunch of oils behind like menzerna. I use it directly over rubber window seals, smooth plastic trims, and even textured plastic trim like the side mirrors on some pickup trucks. Other than hyper polish, HD Polish is the only other finishing polish I know is safe on ALL exterior surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Celticsfan- I`ve never used that Menzerna product, but the ones I have used had *WAY* too many oils for me (when it comes to this application). Be sure to a) break the product down and especially 2) get *ALL* the polishing oils of/out of the plastic, otherwise it`ll be a real mess after they dissipate, which is often much later after you`ve thought all was well.

Don`t mean to scare you off the idea, but I dunno...
    Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    Didn`t polish the whole car, but used HD Speed on the chrome trim plastic window trim. Topped it all with Collinte 845 (side windows, paint and trim)

2015 Honda Accord Window Trim-crv.jpg

Looks great, the brown metallic color is really growing on me, any up close shots of the trim?

Didn`t end up getting to mine something came up...

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a quick 50/50 took maybe 30 seconds by hand. This one is pretty weathered.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s rather hard to capture on camera how bad they are all alone but the 50/50 gave a reasonable idea on this random car

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information