Post Thanks / Like

Lets talk OLD single stage paint

How old? How about early 40`s. I have a little side project going on at the firehouse. I`m looking into breathing some life back into a 37 Ford that was re-bodied and repainted around 1942/43. This is old worn red single stage paint. I`m not looking for perfection here, but after a few rounds of the #7 Rub Down procedure the paint has come back to life. The plan would be to get he paint as good as I can get it and then have the lettering and gold leaf re-done. That should leave us with a relatively shiny truck that still has all the character and battle scars (it has plenty ) of the original paint.

I have done lots of reading about single stage pints here and it seems that some of the products referenced aren`t available anymore. at least not in quantities less than gallons. So what is the current favorite products and pads for my PCXP to do some gentle polishing and see how it goes.
    Big dreams, No cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed with a little bit of stupidity!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk OLD single stage paint

I would use Polish w/ Carnauba Blue .. it will only remove dead pigment and I would use it with a finishing pad to keep abrasion to a minimum and deoxidize the paint.

Follow with Black Hole and sit back and smile
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask MIKE PHILLIPS of Autogeek. He has over 20 years in the detailing industry and he use to work for Meguiars before moving to Autogeek. Autogeek is here on Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how Mike would feel about using M09. IIRC it has the same TSO as M07, does a (minimal) bit of correction and a little filling. I`d probably lean towards a M07 + M09 approach and I`d use wax for the LSP. That approach has been working on such paint since forever.

Sleeper-6- Good on you for applying the "first, do no harm" dictum and being gentle with it. Sounds like a great project!

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve done a few old SS paint restos and I still like the old-school Meg`s products. They just seem to play well with a M07-treated surface. My favorite was M80, but it`s no longer available. I`ve also used M02, M09 and M03. Of the three, M02 is the most aggressive, M03 the least. All respond to pad choice, including anything up to rotary/ wool. If I wasn`t looking for serious correction, I`d try the with M03 first. IMO, it`s kinda like M07, but formulated for machine use.

Bill

BTW, I`ve not used any Poorboy`s polish on an SS paint resto, but Black Hole is definitely a winner on darker colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick summary of the Mirror Glaze "oughts" products under discussion that I`ve used the most. Note that I haven`t used these recently so the newest formulations *MIGHT* be different, though I doubt it:

-M02 is an aggressive compound that has (or at least used to have) quite aggressive chemical cleaners. I always had to do a BIG follow-up as it`s harsh stuff

-M03 is an oilier version of M07 that doesn`t dry out as fast when worked by machine (works fine by hand too) and is functionally nonabrasive despite what people expect from it. And cut comes from the pad, not M03 (used gallons of it back in the days of my black ss lacquer cars, if it didn`t cut on them it doesn`t cut. I found it a complete waste of time/effort on b/c but it`s OK on ss.

-M05 is apparently discontinued. Too bad, easiest of the Pure Polishes to use

-M07 is functionally nonabrasive despite "containing abrasives" as some people would say. The TSO in it are wonderful on old-school single stage but I don`t like it at all on b/c

-M09 is slightly abrasive but I never had it do correction unless used via rotary (might do it with a long-throw). Does conceal though

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

dschribs- Always like seeing those projects Mike did, and the old-style bottles that I grew up with

Old-tech single stage is one case where "feed the paint" isn`t BS, it`s a practical necessity. Not the case with modern ss (at least not the ones I`ve worked on) but using the same stuff can still have the same basic effect if somebody wants to go that route (I usually treat *modern* single stage just like b/c and it`s always worked out fine).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    I`ve read that one a few times. Maybe I`ll have to try some of the Pinnacle products. Since I`ve only worked on newer stuff my go to products are usually the 105 - 205 combo. It`s worked really well on my vehicles, but I wasn`t sure how they would react with the #7 treatment and old soft paint.

Lots of good ideas here so far, I guess I have to pick up a few products to try. I guess I really need to find out what is currently available that is closest to the old Meguiars #80.
    Big dreams, No cash, but a whole lot of creativity mixed with a little bit of stupidity!

Thread Information