Post Thanks / Like

How bad is the black paint on Toyota RAV4`s?

No idea if the black paint is the same black paint they use on all Toyotas. But I`m looking at buying a RAV4 and not really crazy about any of their colors. So I`m looking at the old black that looks so good, but is supposedly hard to keep clean.

Searching through old forum posts, there were comments like, the BWM metallic black paint is okay, but STAY AWAY from the regular black paint...

Is black so so hard to keep clean that it would bug regular people? Or does it just drive detailers crazy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad is the black paint on Toyota RAV4`s?

Quote Originally Posted by levander View Post
    No idea if the black paint is the same black paint they use on all Toyotas. But I`m looking at buying a RAV4 and not really crazy about any of their colors. So I`m looking at the old black that looks so good, but is supposedly hard to keep clean.

Searching through old forum posts, there were comments like, the BWM metallic black paint is okay, but STAY AWAY from the regular black paint...

Is black so so hard to keep clean that it would bug regular people? Or does it just drive detailers crazy?
    Black is a beautiful color on a vehicle. However, black will show every light colored spec of debris or marring and swirl or scratch. As Mike Phillips says, black is not a color, it`s a full-time job

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On my 2012 RAV4 the black paint or the clear coat is really soft. Swirls really easy. Quality microfiber cloth can leave marks behind. Something like Meguiars M205 can get some good correction done. When It`s all polished up it looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

With the way paints are changed by the manufacturers there is no accurate answer to that question. Your car may have a different clear than the car in front on the line. The only accurate answer is a test spot. I just don`t understand how anyone can tell you this is hard paint or soft? I`ve had the same years and makes be totally different.
    Likes Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What year is it? I know Toyota used single stage black into the 2000s,and I think still uses single stage white on some vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnewxcv View Post
    What year is it? I know Toyota used single stage black into the 2000s,and I think still uses single stage white on some vehicles.
    It`d be a new 2017.

Post Thanks / Like

Go look at the cars on the lot and wipe a spot down a few on the lot with a couple average microfibers see for your self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Go look at the cars on the lot and wipe a spot down a few on the lot with a couple average microfibers see for your self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This ain`t a bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Are all dark colors more or less like black? No one in my family has ever driven a black car. But my Mom has a dark blue BMW. There is one scratch about six inches long under the driver`s window that looks white in color. But it`s pretty deep. If there`s any swirl marks or marring on the rest of the car, we don`t even notice it.

Probably the main reason I want black is just I don`t like the Toyota colors. But it`s hard to mess up black. There is a gray metallic color that`s a darker gray, but definitely not black. Would it be almost as bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently there`s also a Glactic Mica Blue that`s basically a dark blue. I like it one the webbut I have` seen it in person yet.

is dark blue gonna be the same thing as black?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how dark. I had a Midnight Blue Ford a long time ago and it was almost black. I wouldn`t worry about the color. If you like it, buy it. Black may show defects more, but when it is clean it is one of the best colors around. Black also has good resale value. As a generalization Jananese cars have soft paint where German cars have hard paint. Always do a test spot to determine actual paint hardness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Depends on how dark. I had a Midnight Blue Ford a long time ago and it was almost black. I wouldn`t worry about the color. If you like it, buy it. Black may show defects more, but when it is clean it is one of the best colors around. Black also has good resale value. As a generalization Jananese cars have soft paint where German cars have hard paint. Always do a test spot to determine actual paint hardness.
    The rare contrarian, even on a auto-detailing forum...

Thread Information