Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What`s you defintion of a coating vs. a sealant

In some recent reviews, there seems to be some blurb/verbiage on what X product is

What`s your definition on what`s a coating and what` a sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s you defintion of a coating vs. a sealant

I`ll leave "coating" to people who know about them, but with regard to "sealant", to me that`s just another term for "synthetic wax".

Heh heh, back in the day, Meguiar`s M07 was named "Sealer and Reseal Glaze"! These terms mean whatever people want `em to
    Likes danlc95, Old Pirate liked this post
    Thanks danlc95 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Organic. vs. inorganic....
    I dunno. Just kinda threw me for a kurveball when one referenced said product falls into X catagory

Post Thanks / Like

beats me...
    some products confuse me on that too

like cosmic v2 for instance.... "this german patent coating system......no paint sealant on the market has such a layer which is resistant to harsh environmental influences."

I suppose it depends on how you interpret "sealant" in that referenced context

from having it on my car a few months I can tell you it sheets like a sealant...doesn`t bead up as much as my CSL+EXO (but then again I don`t think much does/would)

flooding water behavior is that of a strong sealant IMO with sheeting as opposed to breaking up into lots of tiny beads like the GTECH "coating" on my car does

consider me confused a little I suppose

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

But I`ve had some sealants that would bead up nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    But I`ve had some sealants that would bead up nicely

me too...fk is a sealant and its got great beads...every product varies a little...I guess that goes back to the OP

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

"Just one word: plastics"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the sealants I`ve used (not an awfully long list...maybe a half-dozen or so) all bead too.

And yeah..Klasse SG *is* on plasticy product! Actually feels like you`ve shrink-wrapped the vehicle once you get enough layers on there.
    Likes danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, the sealants I`ve used (not an awfully long list...maybe a half-dozen or so) all bead too.

And yeah..Klasse SG *is* on plasticy product! Actually feels like you`ve shrink-wrapped the vehicle once you get enough layers on there.
    i guess when you use so many products like myself, and wear multiple coatings on both of your vehicles...."beading" standards inherently change, lol

csl+exo beads and water behavior have spoiled me

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll give my definition of sealant vs coating - coating permanently bonds with the paint and cannot be stripped off with harsh chemicals, sealants don`t require mechanical removal.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Some products in my ~catagory~ of what I would consider a sealant, are not easily removed via chemicals...
    Ah, I think I`m getting into the grey area myself...

Post Thanks / Like

I use a whole bunch of different things but here are the three categories.

Waxes - are the traditional route and last around six months. They offer excellent protection from the elements and make colors "pop" the most. Wax is best for vibrant colors such as greens, reds, yellows and oranges. It also works best on metallics.

Great ones I use ~ Megs M16, Pinnacle
    souveran, Blackfire midnight sun.

Application time: 30 - 1hr

Sealants - Offer more durable protection than waxes and are the easiest to apply. They do not have as much "pop" but instead are a lot more reflective or glossy. This is ideal for dark or neutral cars like Deep blues, blacks, Greys or whites.

My Faves - Car-pro Reload, Car-pro Hydro2, Menzerna Powerlock.

Application time: 20-30 mins

Coatings - The most intensive of the bunch. These are not quick wipe on`s. The paint needs to
    polished beforehand to remove any defects. Coatings are 10X thicker than waxes or sealants. They offer light scratch resistance (typical swirls induced from traditional washing) and can endure any weather and even most acids. They add an enormous amount of gloss and enhance color. They also last the longest at 2+ years you don`t need to do much. The water repellency is the greatest; water literally shatters on the paint`s surface. With coatings, there is no need to clay bar as sediment doesn`t get trapped in the paint. This of coatings as an actual physical shell rather than a simple polymer barrier like sealants or waxes. It`s basically a more element resistant clear coat.

My choice - Car-pro Cquartz U.K.

Application time: 2 hr`s + prep (Around 8 hours)
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes mobiledynamics, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Driver summed up more or less my POV on where the catagory of LSP stands. On a recent review.....of a new product similar to Hydr02, there was word verbiage that said product was a coating. Flame suit on, and I`ll need to re-read the thread again to confirm, but that statement sorta struck me as odd in that respect (presuming OP should have put it more into the sealant category).....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Driver summed up more or less my POV on where the catagory of LSP stands. On a recent review.....of a new product similar to Hydr02, there was word verbiage that said product was a coating. Flame suit on, and I`ll need to re-read the thread again to confirm, but that statement sorta struck me as odd in that respect (presuming OP should have put it more into the sealant category).....
    I would call those temporary coatings. They do have the silica elements in them just not the same quantity and the bonding process is different

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Are you referring to the review of McKee`s 37 Hydro Blue? The product page does list it as a coating, and the verbiage says "After rinsing, dry as you normally would and start enjoying the benefits of your freshly SiO2 coated paint!"

I honestly ignore most manufacturer claims and wait to see how the community responds to it or what my testing shows. I throw out all product labels, categories, etc. because I`ve gotten much better durability out of "waxes" than I have with some sealants, and I`ve had a "gloss enhancer" do the exact opposite. I find it better to not get hung up on what a product is labeled and focus on how it performs. Products called ceramic/paint coatings all look and act very similar(small bottles, hardening factors, no hazing like waxes/sealants, how they are applied, etc.) so I treat them as coatings. Paint sealants/waxes... don`t really care what they`re called as long as they work. It`s just not worth trying to keep up with all of it. My definitions are pretty much what Driver`s are, FWIW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information