Post Thanks / Like

Forum Questions about Detailing that Keep Coming Around (the Never-Ending Story)

OK, so it`s late winter and living in the upper Midwest, cabin fever sets in (although the record-setting temperatures lately is more like late March in the upper 50`s°F and low 60`s than mid February and the Dayton 500 is almost here this weekend on Feb 26th). Being a long-time member and reader in this forum, I`ve seen a lot of the same questions being asked over and over again. So, out of the boredom of winter doledrums, I`ve comprised a list of questions that have been asked over-and over again within this forum. NOT that there is anything wrong in doing so! I mean, that`s how you learn, and the only "dumb" question is the one never asked. Be that as it may, here are some of those questions, in no particular order.

1) What is the best wax/sealant/coating for the color black?
    2) Who makes the best care-care chemical for (you fill in the detailing task)? (Yes, I am guilty of asking that on several subjects!!)
    3) Who makes the best car-care equipment for (you fill in the detailing task)? (Guilty again!)
    3) Is detailing a skill or an art and why ? (One of my favorites, over the years)
    4) Should I charge more for doing the color black?
    5) What should I charge for this detail?? (A loaded question, if there ever was one)
    6) How come my vehicle doesn`t look as good as the pro`s if I use the same equipment and car-care chemicals?? (do we REALY need to answer that one)
    7) What ever happened to (you fill in the care-care chemical manufacturer that no longer gets"the love" in this forum or was flavor-of-the-month 6 years ago)?
    8) Which is better: rotary buffers or long-throw DAs?? (Kinda like a political question of which party is "better")
    9) How do I get started in detailing full time? (Answer: spend LOTS of money on equipment and chemicals and spend LOTS of time detailing. Notice this is not asking, "How do I become a SUCCESSFUL full-time detailer?")
    10) Which compound/polish/pad combo do I use for (you fill in the vehicle manufacturer and color)?
    11) Do I really need to use a Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG) or do I really need to tape edges and trim while compounding or polishing? (See pictures of burned-through paint of those individuals who have not)
    12) Should I let a car dealer do a complimentary car wash while my vehicle is in for service? (Answer: NO!!. Unless YOU are the car washer at the dealer, then it`s your job and YOUR car)
    13) What should I do about my new vehicle that the dealership washed "by mistake" and now looks swirled-to-heck? (And you thought negotiating with the dealership to BUY the vehicle was a hassle!)
    14) How do I wet sand this paint problem Or should I wet-sand out the orange peel in my new car? (Another loaded question)
    15) Is detailing really that physically-demanding an occupation? (Did you ever detail a never-been-cleaned-before 5-year-old soccer-mom`s full-size SUV for 14 hours in one day by yourself?)

I am not looking for answers. Just add your own additional question(s) and comment(s) about these questions or your own questions to this list.
    Sorry if I come off as kind of a snooty know-it-all, I am not trying to be. It`s just my personal observation list of forum "topics and discussions" over the years
    GB detailer

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forum Questions about Detailing that Keep Coming Around (the Never-Ending Story)

think this has been tried before

my resolve for the winter blues was to move south
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forum Questions about Detailing that Keep Coming Around (the Never-Ending Story)

Wax/Sealant/coating durability.

I always thought it would be a cool project to create a searchable spreadsheet, with Wax->Durability->Location (i.e., Florida sun vs NE winter)-># Coats->how Maintained? (spray wax, coating booster, rinseless, touchless, etc.)->Characteristics (FK1000p self cleaning, or sterile / glassy/ deep, mutes flake, etc.)

Whew, that would be a project.

Post Thanks / Like

And, sigh....the big Q never gets asked: Why is my paint marred up and how can I avoid that in the future if/when I correct it. All the discussion about taking off that precious clearcoat as if it`s simply not a big deal I gather people only keep these vehicles for a few years before moving on...
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And, sigh....the big Q never gets asked: Why is my paint marred up and how can I avoid that in the future if/when I correct it. All the discussion about taking off that precious clearcoat as if it`s simply not a big deal I gather people only keep these vehicles for a few years before moving on...
    and i thought the big question is ... isn`t there a magic product that removes swirls, repairs chips, makes my clearcoat thicker, cleans my interior and removes all stains and odors and at the same time does all the work for me and I can just drive ?
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes ShakingHorizons, Ronkh, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    and i thought the big question is ... isn`t there a magic product that removes swirls, repairs chips, makes my clearcoat thicker, cleans my interior and removes all stains and odors and at the same time does all the work for me and I can just drive ?
    Where can I buy THAT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    vaporwax
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Think it`s the package the dealer sells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly though....... If that were done:

1. It would be obsolete tomorrow. Products, tools, techniques change daily.

2. It would take all the "brainstorming" & give and take with people of different calibers. (do you really want to learn how to play baseball from a aaa reject, or do you want to learn from someone who has a great deal of experience?)

3. Why would there be need for a forum then?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information