Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratches inside front windshield

3 scratches inside front windshield. Can feel with finger nail.......

Suggestions?

(2015 c7)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratches inside front windshield

I had 2 on the inside of my Tundra windshield in my field of view. still there but a lot less noticeable, i used a few brand new razor blades and went over them a few times it took all the above surface glass off and made it a lot better. I am afraid to try polishing it for fear of slinging product inside the truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I had 2 on the inside of my Tundra windshield in my field of view. still there but a lot less noticeable, i used a few brand new razor blades and went over them a few times it took all the above surface glass off and made it a lot better. I am afraid to try polishing it for fear of slinging product inside the truck.
    Makes sense....

With as small an area the vette has, I wsa thinking if it had to be polished, it`s ibird time.
    (but I`ve never done glass & scared)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes DOdetailing, CerceS550 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WHAT! Wax waster man scared of a detail!!`
    I am also curios for the best approach, if you can feel them with the fingernail test, I doubt a polish would do much... and I wouldn`t use a compound or really any other means on the inside of a vette.
    What about a glass repair kit to `fill` the scratches, and then follow up with razor blade to smooth it out?

Some people also also swear by steal wool, but I don`t go that route (I have also only been detailing professionally a short while and have not run into what you have described)
    its a lot like medicine.... very few things are textbook, and it takes practice....

looking forward to the experience on this forum!
    Likes PRND[S] liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never achieved any decent correction on glass without using the Rayon CarPro pads + Ceriglass and it took a very long time(and was very messy)

Anything I could feel with a fingernail was not able to be removed. I hope you have better luck if you decide to tackle it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOdetailing View Post
    WHAT! Wax waster man scared of a detail!!`
    I am also curios for the best approach, if you can feel them with the fingernail test, I doubt a polish would do much... and I wouldn`t use a compound or really any other means on the inside of a vette.
    What about a glass repair kit to `fill` the scratches, and then follow up with razor blade to smooth it out?

Some people also also swear by steal wool, but I don`t go that route (I have also only been detailing professionally a short while and have not run into what you have described)
    its a lot like medicine.... very few things are textbook, and it takes practice....

looking forward to the experience on this forum!

Guess I`m not as good as I think I am...... Or people think I am, or oh well............

Yep, screwing up someone`s car worse than it is, scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    I`ve never achieved any decent correction on glass without using the Rayon CarPro pads + Ceriglass and it took a very long time(and was very messy)

Anything I could feel with a fingernail was not able to be removed. I hope you have better luck if you decide to tackle it.

I didn`t think so with the feeling it with nail either.........

Problem # 2 is my ibird is long neck.

Post Thanks / Like

bump for more wisdom

Post Thanks / Like

Might have to live with this one or have it replaced under warranty.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Might have to live with this one or have it replaced under warranty.
    Thank goodness it`s not mine.....

Can`t imagine how inside got scratched. Even the outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was scratched brand new factory fresh 1 day off the delivery truck. Guessing it was scratched in the factory during installation or earlier before it was in the truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Thank goodness it`s not mine.....

Can`t imagine how inside got scratched. Even the outside.
    Oh in that case you can relax a bit. If the one`s on the outside are not bad you could try ceriglass with the glass polishing pads to see if it gets rid of them. If they are are deep then there is really nothing you can do about it other than having the glass replaced. Same if the glass is pitted from rocks and what not.

Do you have ceriglass and the little hand applicator that carpro has for it. You could try that if you have access to that area. If not maybe putting a little polish on a microfiber towel and going to town. Is it noticeable?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Oh in that case you can relax a bit. If the one`s on the outside are not bad you could try ceriglass with the glass polishing pads to see if it gets rid of them. If they are are deep then there is really nothing you can do about it other than having the glass replaced. Same if the glass is pitted from rocks and what not.

Do you have ceriglass and the little hand applicator that carpro has for it. You could try that if you have access to that area. If not maybe putting a little polish on a microfiber towel and going to town. Is it noticeable?
    No, I guess I wasn`t clear.... I don`t understand how someone can scratch the inside of a windshield, or the outside for that matter (except I did scratch the outside of one scraping ice) (so outside isn`t scratched.)

I haven`t seen it yet. Will tomorrow, this is the red vette that I`ve shown here. He says he has 3 scratches (not in vision field) on the inside, and he can feel em with his fingernail. So I guess I`ll know more tomorrow.

I`ve only done glass with pb pro polish, only to clean, never tried to get defects off. Only thing I have here is the polish angel glass polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Ask your local windshield guy what he thinks. The resins they use to fill rock chips might just fill a deeper scratch in as well. Just spitballing here.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Ask your local windshield guy what he thinks. The resins they use to fill rock chips might just fill a deeper scratch in as well. Just spitballing here.

I`ll point out the scratches to the judges at tomorrows car show.......
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meant to ask and maybe you already told me this but I forget. How did the scratches get there?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information