Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angel High Gloss over or under Collinite 845?

I received my High Gloss last week but haven`t had a chance to use it yet. That opportunity will come this coming Saturday when I detail a friend`s Lexus SUV. That particular car has never seen much attention, so I will wash it, decontaminate it, clay it, polish it, and add some protection in the form of Collinite 845.

I also want to try the High Gloss, but I am concerned about its ability to stick to the 845, especially long-term. My instinct is to put it under the 845 -- if the wax won`t stick to the High Gloss that well, it a cheap fix. Not having any first-hand experience with High Gloss, my feeling is that I would like to protect the cosmetic properties with a wax rather than adding gloss on top of a already excellent wax.

Assuming my thinking is correct, how much time should I give the High Gloss to bond before putting the 845 on top?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish Angel High Gloss over or under Collinite 845?

This might not be very helpful to you as I just finished doing just the opposite of what you are purposing. I put the 845 on first, left it on for a couple of days, then topped it with the PA High Gloss. I am completely satisfied with the way the PA went on and am more than happy with the overall results. I put a second coat of the PA on 1 day after the first coat was applied. I don`t know how to tell if the PA "stuck" to the 845 but it seemed as though the PA went on just fine. As far as longevity is concerned, I have no idea as this has been the first experience with PA.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

That actually is helpful, it is one of the options I am considering, so hearing from someone who has tried it with some success helps. Did you observe beading of the High Gloss on the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, when I sprayed the High Gloss on the surface it beaded up.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I topped it over 476s. Of course I have no comparison point, but with low 50`s outside, PA seemed to go on fine and yield satisfying results.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Beading shots from this am: car driven in rain & traffic last night and been raining all night and am. Shots of roof & hood. Both only clayed & waxed 1month ago. No polishing. PA applied twice.

Likes RaysWay, arres liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to follow up on how things went yesterday. I went with my original approach of putting the High Gloss under the 845.

After polishing the car with 3D HD Speed I did a complete IPA wipedown to prepare for the High Gloss, which was applied with a very thin small microfiber towel, spraying onto the towel and then applying the product. I was surprised by the consistency of the product, and also by the fact that the deep raspberry color left no trace whatsoever on the white pearl color of the car. Application was an absolute breeze despite my fear that the directions of using a very small amount would make getting even coverage difficult.

I allowed the High Gloss to cure for 30 minutes, the topped it with the 845, applying it by hand with a foam applicator. After 30 more minutes to allow for hazing, the wax was buffed off.

I was impressed with how easy the process was and how well the products worked together. Subjectively the finish looked great, though the lack of sunlight late in the day toned down the results -- this is also why I didn`t take any pictures.

The bottom line is that Polish Angel High Gloss, as well as topping it with Collinite 845 gets two thumbs up from me. I`ll be giving my car the same treatment soon and will post pictures then.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With how much high gloss costs, I hope the solvents in 845 didn`t remove it....

Post Thanks / Like

I havent used it yet, but I see high gloss is a final final very final LSP wipe, luckily its not warm so I just keep these beautiful bottles next to me on my desk... in the summer time I think I will store it in my wine fridge. just to be safe since I probably wont be able to use it up too quickly.

If I had unlimited cash, I would have a Soul Red 17 Miata RF, orange peel leveled, cosmic 9H, viking coated on top of that, some carnuba wax from PA, wipe down with GZ, then final wipe with HG. lol!!! I am a huge sucker for the Mazda soul red, it speaks to me in volumes.
    Likes RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly does the PA HG bring to the party? Is it something that imparts a genuinely noticeable diff and if so what specifically is that difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    What exactly does the PA HG bring to the party? Is it something that imparts a genuinely noticeable diff and if so what specifically is that difference?
    The ultra, mega, super, crazy placebo effect. I am not particularly sure... I have yet to try it out.

If I have to guess, it would be gloss, which would require a gloss meter to measure... then there are multiple angles to check, and probably need a batch of data to average out. I would hope it can add gloss to >60 degree angles, which is hard to achieve... hence reflection shots are (pretty much) ALWAYS <60 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    go look at my thread on it, im on phone so i cant.
    the gloss is incredible and crazy slick . i havent washed the vette in 3 weeks, habent touched it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I did my own car yesterday: Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine two-bucket wash, IPA wipedown, Polish Angel High Gloss, topped with Collinite 845. Took some pictures this morning; in retrospect I wish I had waited for more (direct) sunlight, but it is what it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes arres liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ronkh- At the risk of sounding like a real [jerk], I`m not gonna do the dreaded SEARCH over it

Raymoche- Yeah...the Placebo Effect did come to mind Slickness/shine/staying "just detailed" for weeks are things I already take for granted.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks good but I`m still confused why you want to coat a pricey coating with 845? Not trying to be an a@@.

All posts I see on this forum are praising the insane gloss that PA adds. Why mask that with 845?

You`re paying almost $70 for less than 7oz of small batch speical made product, only to top it with 845...

From thier description
    "HIGH GLOSS is composed of special polymers, silica, and an extremely high content of titania, the most reflective element known to man.

Expect a durability of up to seven months. HIGH GLOSS can be used as a drying aid, maintenance spray, or standalone sealant with good prep."

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same sentiments as 392Hemi. I have on order a batch of High Gloss and purchased it with the express intent of using it as the "final final very final LSP wipe" as one poster mentioned. My order the other day also included Snow White Carnaubaflokencreme which will be my wax. Then top that with High Gloss which is made to intensify gloss and shine of whatever it is put on (at least that is my interpretation of what this product is suppose to do).

Over the years I have used many, many product on a Mercedes paint called "Diamond White". It is a beautiful white and a pricey option on their cars. My first was an ML350 SUV and I discovered that the German brands P21s and Sonax worked the best to make this particular paint pop and sparkle. I would wash and clay (if needed) and then chemically clean the paint with P21s Paintwork Cleanser. The paint looked terrific just after this application alone! I never once had to use an abrasive polish. Then I used Sonax Polymer Net Shield followed with a next day wipe of Sonax Brilliant Shine, which I also use as a periodic "topper". This system was the best of all the ones I tried.

Now I have a new and completely different car - 2017 CLS550, also in Diamond White which is my favorite white of all time. Since this is a far bit more expensive and rare vehicle, I decided to try something different in my quest to up the game in terms of durability and looks. Hence, the Polish Angel purchase. If I do it wrong I will have wasted a whole bunch of money but if I do it right and PA is as good as everyone says it is then the money is no object for a car like this.

Keep the tips and suggestions coming on applying High Gloss and the other PA product - and especially your impressions and reviews.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information