Thread: Sheepskin Mitts

Post Thanks / Like

Sheepskin Mitts

What`s the saying goes - you can`t teach a dog new tricks .....

I spent the better part of last night looking at all the current wash media`s out there.
    Have the carpro mitt, etc, etc
    Seem like ALOT of people like the Meguiars...

I`ve a huge fan of sheepskin mitts.
    I don`t use them as mitts.
    I also de-cuff them
    There is a certain tactile feel I get from them that I don`t get from everything else I`ve used.
    If I`m feeling tension, I know I need to make a 2nd pass or be a bit more aggressive in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sheepskin Mitts

I use them as well. Like I`ve said in the past,you`ve got to pick them like fruit in order to get the most plush ones. They do provide that tactile feel.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not used a sheepskin in years. Currently use the dreadlock MF wash mitts. BUT....The best sheepskin wash mitt I have used was GRIOTS. They still make it. Another good choice is ADAMS WASH PADS.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn

Adam`s 10" Car Wash Pad 3 Pack | Wash Pads | Wash Mitt
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Heh Bil. My last order a 3 bakers dozen. Cherry picked them . Returned the ones I didn`t want.

I`m set for awhile on SS mitts until something fabulous comes along.
    Came across a oldie post - you still rocking those Duragloss Mitts

PA - $29 a mitt.
    I paid about that for the CarPro and a I hate it !
    I use the MF chenille for the lowers

$10 tops per SS mitt. I retire/dispose of them when I don`t think they are up to snuff.
    2 of my cars are dark. Stuff happens. For example, one had heavy tar I did not see. Mitt got disgustingly sticky/dirty. Retired. etc, etc. Hard to retire a $30 so easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve tried the sheepskin mitts but I don`t like how they get sort of stiff after they dry. And they sort of get matted down after awhile.

I`ll never go back to anything else after trying these.

Chemical Guys - Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt

I bought six of them...just in case they ever stop making them.

Post Thanks / Like

For those using Chenille, anyone use ALL of the good ones and tested/tried them.

I use the cuffless one for the lowers.
    I suppose some brands WITH cuff might have longer nap/density
    I`m thinking maybe the AG, etc might by a bit longer/fatter in density.
    Have not looked at those or bought to compare as I just like the already cuffless design on the one I`m using
    I don`t pay much attention to this type of media in research as it`s mainly areas where I use this to clean is ~not important~

Dschribs - They matt down a little from fresh, but it`s a natural product....
    As far as stiffness, I find that if I wash them in a bucket with laundry detergent, it gets rid of whatever soap is in them and they get soften up like fresh. I go the old school way and make up a DIY laundry string and hang them in the sun to dry

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for what Dschribs said. I have the same mitt from CG and it`s my favorite. I also have the CG sheepskin and it has held up decent too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have one with the thumb from Detailed Image and it sheds tuffs of hair and padding like a long-haired dog. It`s user error, as wool mitts/pads do require PROPER maintenance, cleaning, and drying care. I think most Autopians who do use and like (love) them have high-quality wool mitts that they pamper and dry.

One thing I have noticed it that emblems tend to "grab" the hairs out if you are not careful or rub/wipe too hard during washing/cleaning. I did a Cadillac XLR (Corvette Clone) that a well-meaning previous owner had obviously washed with a wool mitt. I spent at least a half-hour with a tweezers pulling out embedded/caught wool hairs from the emblems. They were fine and hard-to-see from a distance, but close up they were obvious and, like leaving traces of crusty dried-on wax around emblems, they needed to be removed to obtain an Autopian (and my)standard level of acceptably-detailed .
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, a mitt thread Leaving aside the little ones I use on wheels/undercarriage....

I only use sheepskin mitts after first getting the "big stuff" via a BHB (more gentle, better flushing), but they`re almost always the second phase of my wash regimen. The challenge is to avoid pressing the mitt against the paint too hard and to, of course, keep it flushed clean with the foamgun all the time...much trickier than with the BHB.

Dirt in the rinse bucket at the end of a filthy-vehicle wash means I messed up, the dirt should be flushed away, not stuck in the mitt (and thus dragged across the paint) until dunked in the rinse water.

I fold the cuff inside then fill the mitt with solution (rinse/refill as needed). Then I hold the cuff shut and gently whisk the mitt across the panel while the solution seeps out, spraying foamgun output at the point of mitt-to-paint contact at all times. I *always* move the mitt in short, jiggling motions, being sure to allow the foamgun output to flush any dirt away rather than letting it get trapped in the nap of the mitt. Yeah, it`s a little challenging the first few dozen times but after a while it`s second nature.

I`m not much of a Mitt-Snob, at least not the way I`m a BHB-Snob. I do differentiate between my Griot`s sheepskin mitts and my more conventional ones; the Griot`s has a much finer nap (it can trap some kinds of dirt like ya wouldn`t believe, so surface must be genuinely CLEAN of big stuff before I use that one). This mitt is one that can *REALLY* snag on emblems/etc. moreso than anything else I`ve ever touched a car with.

(Compare this paragraph with what Lonnie posted!) I don`t take good care of my mitts, just squeeze them somewhat dry and lay them over the edge of the bucket. They last just as long as they did when I rinsed them out, squeezed them truly dry, and hung them up making sure to keep the cuffs open. All of that was simply unnecessary *for me* (not advocating such neglect). (I also neglect my BHBs something awful with zero downside.)

I don`t delegate mitts-to-panels the way Bill D. does; I`ll use the same mitt on a hood that I used on the rocker panels. Guess I can do that since things are pretty clean before I use a mitt at all.

I CD-test my mitts but have never had a sheepskin/MF one fail the test.

I never use "synthetic sheepskin".

I sometimes use MF mitts, but they retain certain types of dirt enough that the foamgun doesn`t always rinse them clean (while in use) as well as it does with the sheepskin. I`m more likely to use MF mitts when using the GDWM as the final phase of a wash, after anybody else would say the vehicle`s already perfectly clean.

Never liked the dreadlock/muppet ones, can`t imagine why anybody does...but OK, to each their own. I prefer a fine nap over thick strands.

On my vehicles, there are *MANY* tight spots that I just can`t clean with a mitt (even with fine/long nap, can`t even come close to getting the dreadlock strands in there), simply have to use a long-bristled BHB (or a long handled swab) to get into those areas or they won`t get any (mechanical) agitation and thus don`t get truly clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of products have changed my detailing regimine process...

3D AAT makes my Menz/Sonax polishs take a backburner
    Griots PWM Drying Towels have exceeded even my former Dry Me Crazy and Rubbish Boys ~yellow~ towel
    I`ve got some Crazy Piles - about 8, but TRC has filled my stockings full. Boatload of Eagles in Orange/Blue, with a stash of their Glass Suedes and another bakers dozen of their Everest towels.

The one constant in my detailing regimine is SS mitts
    Just ordered a Incredimitt and IncrediPad. Who know if these will replace my tried and true media.

I know these are all subjective at the end of the day.
    Everyone seems to love the CarPro mitt. I hate mine and it`s been sitting in the original bag it came in, after a couple of attempts to like it.

Thread Information