Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with 845 or PNS or Mckees 37 coating this winter

Hey guys been detailing forever, with the loss of my garage/hose access I have been stuck doing waterless washes using Chemical Guys Hose Free Ecowash and Touchless drive through washes when very dirty. Nearest coin op car wash is 30 mins one way. I am debating what to do for y next winter prep, it usually involves Clay, Klasse AIO and followed by 845. This has surprisingly lasted me almost 12 months in the NE winters. This included being washed and they wiped with Megs UQW or Lucas Spray Wax or Eagle One Wipe and Shine detailer (this seems to have some protection in it, makes the car VERY hydrophobic).

Im located in the Northeast(NY) and am currently traveling back and forth between NY and DC for work. I have an apartment shared garage where I can do some of my work, but there isnt a hose anywhere. I was thinking about using Sonax PNS this winter and purchased a can. It appears I need do clay, do an IPA or cleansing and then install PNS. I`ve never done IPA wipedowns and dont want to. At that point Im ok trying a cheaper coating. I see Mckees 37 paint coating is $35 and supposed to last 2 years.

My car has very very few light swirls, so I will not correct the paint since I dont have electrical access to use my PC in a garage. The car in question is a 2016 Charger RT Scatpack which is Torred (Bright red with no flake). I currently have in my arsenal, 845, Sonax Polymer Net Shield , Klasse AIO, CG Hose free ecowash and then 3 spray waxes (Lucas Slickmist, Megs UQW and Eagle One Wipe and Shine detailer).

So I have a couple of questions

1) I have read a lot of conflicting info, can I apply Sonax PNS over KAIO? Or should I clay and do an IPA wipedown prior to application?

2) Return the Sonax PNS, get the Mckees 37 coating prep polish and paint coating? Clay and apply the prep polish followed by the coating? I will continue to maintain it with the hose free and my spray waxes. Also I can I apply the Mckees paint sealant to wheels or windows (not windshield)? I see they have separate coatings for glass and wheels.

3) Stick to my old regiment of AIO topped with 845 and maintained with the spray waxes?

Also an issue I have is, I usually will "touch up" the car with the detailer and quick waxes every couple of weeks when it is dusty. If I get a coating I will continue to do so, hence my reservation about using expensive coatings. I dont want to spend more than 35-50 on the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stick with 845 or PNS or Mckees 37 coating this winter

I don`t think you can go wrong with 845 or McKees Coating. I don`t know about KAOI before PNS. If I had to hazard a guess I would say you would have no problems doing so. You`ve had great results using 845 so I would stick to something you know works. Try the McKees in the spring. Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d stick with what you know works.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used 845 and PNS. So I can only comment on them. If you have 845 use it. PNS is also good but I wouldn`t say better. My experience is put them both on thin and wipe off before totally dried out or they are hard to remove.

If you have used up your 845 the aerosol delivery system is convenient but from an economic standpoint overall the bottle of 845 is cheaper and will do way more cars than the PNS.

Both will get you through the winter easy.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, 845 is a "bullet- proof" wax and the ultimate Winter wax. Of course I`m an old school guy and haven`t gotten into "coatings" at all.

I would think Collinite 845 and a good spray wax such as Optimum should get you through Winter just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

imho

coating or 845
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help and feedback guys. I`ve always been a wax and sealant kinda guy. I don`t mind a coating, but I feel they require too much maintenance with specialty products and washes. Also most people I know with coatings are using spray waxes constantly thus negating the point of it.

I had high hopes for the PNS based on reviews I`ve read, maybe I`ll try a small test area to see how it compares. Sadly the new "wax" bug had bit me, but seems to me short of Collinite or FK1000 there`s no better bang for your buck in winter.

As with 845, my bottle is now over 6 years old and still half full. Even then I lost some from spilling my bottle. The bottle should last me another 6 years as thin as it goes on. I love it on my trim as well and the fact I can use my spray waxes on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a big fan of PNS for the winter time. I think it has one of the best beading effect. The winter salt and debris will rinse right off. The only downside to PNS is it is not an easy product to apply and take off, and it does not give the slick feel at all. I only use PNS during the winter months. I use Sonax hybrid wax in the spring through fall.

Post Thanks / Like

392hemi- Welcome to Autopia!

While you`ve apparently already spent for the PNS, I too am generally in favor of not fixing what isn`t broken.

KAIO + 845 works well, used it myself for a long time and still use that approach on one or two things. While I`m currently all about FK1000P (which works fine over KAIO and isn`t finicky about spraywaxes/etc. on top of it), I can`t help but think that you already have a good regimen worked out, one that you know works fine for you. Nice that both the KAIO and 845 are trim-friendly too.

Heh heh, when silverfox, dschribs, rlmccarty2000, JSFM35X, and I are all thinking "just stick with the 845" that seems like a pretty solid idea

BUT...sorry, can`t resist...had I not tried to "fix what wasn`t broken" I wouldn`t have switched from Collinite to FK1000P, and I`m sure glad that I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    392hemi- Welcome to Autopia!

While you`ve apparently already spent for the PNS, I too am generally in favor of not fixing what isn`t broken.

KAIO + 845 works well, used it myself for a long time and still use that approach on one or two things. While I`m currently all about FK1000P (which works fine over KAIO and isn`t finicky about spraywaxes/etc. on top of it), I can`t help but think that you already have a good regimen worked out, one that you know works fine for you. Nice that both the KAIO and 845 are trim-friendly too.

Heh heh, when silverfox, dschribs, rlmccarty2000, JSFM35X, and I are all thinking "just stick with the 845" that seems like a pretty solid idea

BUT...sorry, can`t resist...had I not tried to "fix what wasn`t broken" I wouldn`t have switched from Collinite to FK1000P, and I`m sure glad that I did.
    I got PNS off Amazon and can return it I think.

Accumulator you were the one that pushed me towards Collinite way back when. I still love it, even though I`ve seen you jumped to FK.

Which looks better on bright red with no flake? 845 or FK? I might pickup FK just for the wheels or to try something new.

Also I`ve read almost every thread here and AG regarding 845 vs 476 vs FK.

I was a member for a while back in 02 and lost/forgot my username and account. Haven`t been actively posting but still read and lurk.

Post Thanks / Like

No question, your Klasse + 845 is a great combo. But what personally draws me into detailing now is branching out away from the typical routine and trying different products out. That being said, it doesn`t sound like Polymer Net Shield is going to suit your situation. The real benefit of working with PNS is being able to see that crazy water performance over the weeks and since you`re without a hose, you`re not going to be able to observe that visual performance that is really satisfying about PNS. Also, I don`t like to use anything else on top of PNS except for Brilliant Shine Detailer. All other detailers and spray waxes and waterless washes seem to slightly reduce that aggressive water performance. So I treat it like a paint coating in that regard. It`s also much less enjoyable to work with, and it`s not as slick as other products.

FK1000P is the sealant to go with if you`re wanting to branch out from 845 or 476s. One of the best paste products on the market without a doubt, it`s durable, it`s aggressive with water, it`s known to be a great protectant and as the others said it takes well to spray waxes/detailers on top. Easy to apply and remove as well, MUCH easier than Polymer Net Shield, and you`ll notice a slicker surface. Doesn`t seem to be very particular about needing a super prepped surface. So I say save the PNS for when you have unlimited hose usage, until then I recommend FK1000P for the winter as something a little different than the usual 845. I haven`t tried the latest McKee`s coating out yet, I`m waiting for it to finally cool down outside before testing it out but I`m looking forward to that!
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes 04accord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

CG Butter Wax is a good LSP for winter if you don`t plan on driving it and don`t mind reapplying every week as it sits in an environmentally controlled garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    CG Butter Wax is a good LSP for winter if you don`t plan on driving it and don`t mind reapplying every week as it sits in an environmentally controlled garage.
    Um that doesn`t sound very good at all...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Accumulator you were the one that pushed me towards Collinite way back when. I still love it, even though I`ve seen you jumped to FK. ..
    Yeah, I *was* a big Collinite fan for a long time, and it`s still just as good as it ever was. I just find the FK1000P better for *MY* needs.
    Which looks better on bright red with no flake? 845 or FK?
    Noting that I haven`t done a red car in *decades*....I`d bet the farm on 845 looking better to an Autopian, but I wouldn`t be at all surprised if "normal people" thought the FK1000P looks better.

For an Autopian, the FK will be "too shiny and reflective", with "insufficient depth and jetting". But those scare-quotes are intentional IMO But#2 hey, that`s why FK makes their Pink Wax, for topping FK1000P in cases where the looks just isn`t quite right.

I might pickup FK just for the wheels or to try something new.
    That`s how I got hooked on it, got a little sample tin that sat around for *years* until it was "all dried out". Decided to just use it up on some wheels and was all impressed by how it worked out.

Also I`ve read almost every thread here and AG regarding 845 vs 476 vs FK.

I was a member for a while back in 02 and lost/forgot my username and account. Haven`t been actively posting but still read and lurk.
    Heh heh, then when it comes to my takes on these products, you`ve probably heard it all before
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ... But#2 hey, that`s why FK makes their Pink Wax, for topping FK1000P in cases where the looks just isn`t quite right.

I knew I forgot something on the last order!!! It was a freebie that day, the Pink Wax was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information