Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

New guy with Mustang Mystichrome

Hello,
    In my search for info on detailing I found this forum and it`s a wealth of information. My car is at Detailing Dynamics in New York and I`ll be getting it back this weekend. It`s a 2004 Mustang Cobra with only 4,600 miles (bought it last year with only 2,600 miles) and it`s been sitting in a garage for 10 years by the prior owner.

After it comes back, I`ll be storing it in my unheated garage for the winter. The cars doesn`t see snow, salt, rain, etc. but it will be exposed to the cold. Nobody goes in the garage but the car does get a layer of dust on it. /Should I throw a cheap car cover on it since it`s indoors?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy with Mustang Mystichrome

I would advise against car covers if its indoors, car covers are some what okay outdoors, but will mar the paint if not careful... just grab a few nice microfiber towels and good quality spraywax/quickdetailer and dust it off when you`re ready to take it out again.
    Likes HPLouis, Poorboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice Raymoche. I`ll leave it uncovered. Nobody goes in the garage so it should be safe. It`ll be dusty, but I can wash that off when I get it out of winter storage

Post Thanks / Like

<---- hates car covers
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    <---- hates car covers
    tough decision between bird droppings and tree sap or a car cover... (sometimes)...
    Likes Poorboy, Wolfster liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum .. if you are going to put it in a garage for the winter months get some ply wood and park on it .. not concrete or dirt .. need to keep moisture from going under the frame ... if there is electric you might also try a dehumidifier

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    <---- hates car covers
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymoche View Post
    tough decision between bird droppings and tree sap or a car cover... (sometimes)...
    yeah that`s when they do pay and people who work near industrial fallout ..
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome car! I don`t know much about storing things for winter...today will be a high of 97*!!! The cobra looks amazing, good find.
    Likes HPLouis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Poorboy. I noticed that people would do that and I always wondered why. I`ll get some planks today.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Having had I don`t know, a dozen car covers over the years, I would always vote for a good soft inside, cover that is light, breathe able, and fits tightly around the vehicle..

It will totally keep the car dust free and the better soft covers do not mar anything in my experiences..
    Look at California car cover dot com for some examples..

The lighter ones are great for not only keeping the dust off ,but also able to keep moisture from developing between the cover and the paintwork inside..

I always had car covers in California and Washington State and it was so nice to pull it off and the vehicle is dust/dirt/bird bomb/etc., free...

I think the reason it might mar for some is because its a big dorky, heavy one with several layers, and if its not ever washed, dirt will get under it, and rub on the paint, etc...

I never had that issue with the more modern lightweight, 2 layer covers..

Good luck with storing that beautiful Mustang !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a very light/soft dust cover for indoor storage over the winter (flannel is good). I don`t see a downside if it is put on and taken off with care. There should be no marring if put on a clean/dust free car. There will be no wind to move it around to induce marring and when you take the cover off in the spring it should be clean and almost 100 percent dust free. There is an amazing amount of dust collected after 3-4 months of storage, and the dust winds up in the most unexpected places.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful MysticChrome. I had a `96 Mystic until recently. I wish I wouldn`t of gotten rid of it, but it was time to let it go. If you do invest in a car cover spend the extra money on a really nice one. I have a friend that buys one for each of his vehicles he purchases and really likes the Covercraft line. Covercraft Custom Form-Fit Car Cover - Covercraft
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

HPLois- Welcome to Autopia!

I always seem to have a few cars stored/unused/mothballed, often for a year or more...never a big deal IME and I don`t do anything special to prep them for the period of inactivity other than hook up a trickle-charger (there are some fancy ones on the market these days!) or just disconnect the battery.

Unless you`ll be using "flat stoppers" (special pads that go under the tires), you might oughta overinflate the tires (I`ll set to ~50psi) while it`s stored so they don`t get too out-of-round. It`s usually not a big deal (drive for a while with the overinflation and they`ll almost always get round again though some times it takes a while, and *NO!* it`s not dangerous according to guys who know from such stuff) but every now and then it is a problem; I did once have to replace a set of very soft Summer Compound tires that were on a heavy car, but that`s one time out of many cars over many decades.

I`ve never had any problems from storing in concrete, but "better safe than sorry!" and all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car, and Welcome to the forum! I`ve always loved the color shift paint and really thought they would have taken off more..I guess they are expensive though. :/

When I had my show car I used a cover over the winter storage and during the times I knew I wouldn`t be driving it for a while. I ALWAYS wiped the car down with a good slick detail spray before putting the cover on and never had issues with marring. I liked that I could take it off and go without a build up of dust. It was a soft, tighter fitting cover but it was back in the mid 90`s so I can`t recall who made it. I would never use one outside though and the car should always be dry and completely clean before it`s put on and then stored in a clean sealed contained when it`s off the car.

Just my $.02
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing dynamics is amazing. What are they Doing for you ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information