Thread: trim

Post Thanks / Like

trim

i see a lot of posts lately about trim and just figured id ask, how in the world are you guys getting product in those tight little spots...? cotton balls? special tools? what am i missing? i use a tire dresser but it doesnt reach everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: trim

Try a small brush or a q-tip. A cotton ball will soak up a lot of product unnecessarily
    Likes ascarbo27 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

sweet, didnt even think of a qtip... lol ill give that a shot, how about for around windows? just move with caution? or do you tape it off

Post Thanks / Like

Q tip..or I go to Sallys (mainly because of the brunette that works there-haha) and I pick up some makeup applicator wedges and random things to try out..some work pretty well

Right now I`m using Tuff Shine dressing applicator pads (orange ones) cut up into different shapes and smaller pieces

Brandt K.
    Likes ascarbo27, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ascarbo27 View Post
    sweet, didnt even think of a qtip... lol ill give that a shot, how about for around windows? just move with caution? or do you tape it off
    That`s just your preference. If you have time and feel like taping it off, that`s probably the best and safest route, but taking good care and wiping extra off of windows, paint is also an option

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a pressure washer first to get as much little stuff in those areas out the first time..
    If they look really stuck in there like mold that you see in the Pacific Northwest, I will pre-spray those spots with a good APC, rub them with a small brush, and go all around the car quickly in this manner..

I do the inside of the gas filler door and the entire area around the gas cap at this time..
    Then, come back with the initial pressure wash and I usually get all that little stuff off..

In absence of the Pressure Washer, I have probably used over a 1,000 Q-Tips for cleaning and even careful polishing (they can be abrasive) around and in between those numbers and letters on the back trunk lid..

Sometimes, it`s better to remove the logo, etc., off the back of the area/s and that way it`s really easy to get that part perfect, and the removed piece/s cleaned on the bench..

This part is one of the real Detailing parts of the craft...
    Dan F
    Likes pwaug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I use a pressure washer first to get as much little stuff in those areas out the first time..
    If they look really stuck in there like mold that you see in the Pacific Northwest, I will pre-spray those spots with a good APC, rub them with a small brush, and go all around the car quickly in this manner..

I do the inside of the gas filler door and the entire area around the gas cap at this time..
    Then, come back with the initial pressure wash and I usually get all that little stuff off..

In absence of the Pressure Washer, I have probably used over a 1,000 Q-Tips for cleaning and even careful polishing (they can be abrasive) around and in between those numbers and letters on the back trunk lid..

Sometimes, it`s better to remove the logo, etc., off the back of the area/s and that way it`s really easy to get that part perfect, and the removed piece/s cleaned on the bench..

This part is one of the real Detailing parts of the craft...
    Dan F
    man Dan you got me really wanting to add an electric pressure washer now

I use Steam for like my 6.1 hemi logo etc..works pretty good but Q tips are usually my go to for that type of logo stuff- yet they still don`t get everything as we all know

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Q tip..or I go to Sallys (mainly because of the brunette that works there-haha)
    HA!!!, nothing wrong with that honesty

Dave
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    HA!!!, nothing wrong with that honesty

Dave
    I might even have an unnecessary membership

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandt -
    For sure, pressurized water with only a Wide Fan Tip will get a lot of little stuff out of places faster than anything else..
    If you can work it out with your time constraints, have to have it out, set it up, etc., and then go around the vehicle, it should definitely save you a lot of time..

I use an old gas powered one, the hose is over 50 feet long, it does a lot of cleaning of everything else, and for example, the engine compartment of your Mopar - ( I have a Hemi in my Jeep), I can spray that down in a few minutes and it will look beautiful when its dried and very, very, clean..
    And nothing will be harmed in the process.. It will start right up...

It totally knocks out gunk in wheels and saves a lot of work there more often than not...

Totally gets all those little places - tail lights, around the front end all those little places, all those fine lines of dirt next to body side moldings, trim, etc...

I have a good steamer too, but the pressure washer will send out 2 gallons per minute and that`s way more than the steamer can do, and you don`t have to fill it, plug it in, wait for it to heat up, fill it again, etc..

As for the lovely lass at the Beauty Shop - how about you make an appt. with her to cut your hair ?
    No better way to get to know her and vice-versa....
    And she will put your nbr on her phone so you can text/call her direct for the next appointment, right ?
    Dan F
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For very tight spots, check out something called "Swab-Its". Also, I sometimes use the tiny disposable brushes made for touching up stonechips/etc.

Thread Information