Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1931 Chevy Detailing

FIDOAG14- OK, yeah that`s what I figured. Doing it on the upshifts *is* trickier by far IMO.

JustJesus- See how things change? I was taught (lik... by *every* book, every instructor) that the double-clutching/heel&toe/etc. was simply how you did it. Period. Every. Single. Time. Zero wear on the sycnchros (if a car has `em), always at the exact right RPM range for whatever you`re doing at every single moment. Hence our deciding that a manual is an awful lot of work when just running errands.

And yeah, my wife drives quite well (INSERT usual "everybody needs serious Driver`s Training" lecture here). Sher`s never needed a clutch or snychronizer despite putting high miles on some of her cars, which is more than a lot of folks can say (look at how many exotics need 2nd gear synchros! I used to simply budget that in when buying used sportscars).

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator,

It`s also a three speed, and I stay away from these Dallas highways. I don`t often get out of second. So shifting is minimal, to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

FIDOAG14- Heh heh, yeah...I bet modern freeways are a bit much for that old-timer!

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the Carburetor for cleaning last night. Pretty nifty, it`s an Updraft Carburetor made by Carter.

I had already pulled the bowl off in these pictures. The float had quite a lot of build up on it, so I`m almost scared to see what is in the accelerator pump and the innards of the carburetor.

Just to keep things detailing related (somewhat) the running boards (steps) are covered with some kind of grooved vinyl/rubber. Boy, they hold dirt bad, I sweep them off but does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning and protecting them? I included a picture where you can sort of see what I`m talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    JustJesus- See how things change? I was taught (lik... by *every* book, every instructor) that the double-clutching/heel&toe/etc. was simply how you did it. Period. Every. Single. Time. Zero wear on the sycnchros (if a car has `em), always at the exact right RPM range for whatever you`re doing at every single moment. Hence our deciding that a manual is an awful lot of work when just running errands.

And yeah, my wife drives quite well (INSERT usual "everybody needs serious Driver`s Training" lecture here). Sher`s never needed a clutch or snychronizer despite putting high miles on some of her cars, which is more than a lot of folks can say (look at how many exotics need 2nd gear synchros! I used to simply budget that in when buying used sportscars).
    WOW, they sure have changed! I hadn`t even taken into account heel&toe shifting. Geez. I can see why it`s a lot of work! Nope, I can`t even imagine just how much work that would be. My morning commute (LA style traffic, 24 miles, about an hour drive) would drive me crazy.

I bet Accumulatorette can drive better than most I know, including me! My wife, I try to avoid her driving the Yaris. She`ll likely burn the clutch out. [shudder]

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Pulled the Carburetor for cleaning last night. Pretty nifty, it`s an Updraft Carburetor made by Carter.

I had already pulled the bowl off in these pictures. The float had quite a lot of build up on it, so I`m almost scared to see what is in the accelerator pump and the innards of the carburetor.
    That carb is a bit bigger than I would have thought. I was thinking along the lines of the old Strombergs. Clean that sucker up

Can`t help with the rubber/vinyl. That part of detailing is still new to me. Still playing with different products myself.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Yeah, Accumulatorette drives quite well. She`s ended up *lapping* guys in really fast cars while driving a stock Benz luxo-cruiser.

FIDOAG14- I`d clean the rubberized running boards with Griot`s Rubber Prep and then seal them with Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard+.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update since I haven`t been on here in a while.

Cleaned the carburetor up and got it put back on. Started the car and gas started spraying back at the engine!!!

Seems the compression fitting on the fuel line and pinched and the line was flaring out a bit, so it wasn`t seating back quite right. So on Christmas, my dad and granddad came to my house, and we pulled the fuel line between the pump and carburetor. It`s thick wall, 5/16" copper tubing (kind of hard to find) but my dad`s HVAC guy had some laying around that he gave us. So got it all bent and cut to fit and bought new fittings for a whopping $2.99 at AutoZone and it`s all put back together! I plan on starting it tonight (had to charge the battery) and if I think of it, I`ll take a video of the whole thing and post it on here.

And before anyone says anything, copper fuel line and compression fittings were what was on the car when I got it, when my dad had it, and when my granddad bought it. Is copper the best? no. Are compression fittings the best? no. But I`m "keeping it original" at least to my knowledge. Plus replacing it that way was cheaper than the $25 steel reproduction piece.
    Likes nickclark08, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic- does your user name have anything to do with the Corps at A&M?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    Howdy,

This post is going to be a bit lengthy but here goes:

I have a 1931 Chevy 5-Window Coupe (see attached) that is currently being stored at my granddads. I plan on bringing it down to my garage in either mid-may or early-june. Im pretty excited about bringing it down, still working on convincing the wife its a good idea though. Now to the best of my memory my dad had it stripped to bare metal and had it repainted sometime in the early 90s and it has always been kept stored in a garage. Im not 100% sure but its pretty doubtful that the car had a clear coat sprayed on when it was repainted, though the paint is very thick. It does have some minor garage rash from being stored for 20 some odd years but overall paint and body are in very good condition given its age etc.

Way on down the road Id love to spend the money to have the car brought to true "show car" level but for now it is good enough to be a Sunday/Parade driver. It has a few small mechanical issues (that I am aware of) but once those are resolved it will be in "driving condition". My granddad has kept it in running condition up till about a year ago when he started having trouble with the starter.

I doubt it has been washed in several years, though it is typically covered in the garage. Needless to say its dusty.

Heres where I need the help of Autopia, what would your suggestions be for properly caring for the paint?
    Is taking a clay bar to it too risky?
    I havent done a close up inspection of the paint in a while some Im not sure what the swirl situation is, but would it be too risky to attempt polishing them out? I plan on waxing it with PB Nattys Blue (because thats what I have and I like it). I have a griots garage 6" RO, some BF finishing polish and whatever pads came with the polisher (I dont remember as I sit here typing this, I think a yellow and a white) I know one is for wax/super fine polishing, and the other for fine polishing.
    If the dusty and dirt has embedded itself into the paint, what should my approach be?

Furthermore, (and I hate this piece but what am I gonna do) when I bring the 31 down it will take my cars spot in the garage, forcing me to park my DD outside. I assume a coating would be my best bet for protection since it will be outside all the time, but I cant go forking out $100 bucks for that, are there any good <$50ish coatings out there? If not, sealants? My DD is a 2015 Mazda 6, absolutely love the car, always keep a fresh coat of Nattys on it. Should I look into buying a car cover for my Mazda?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help and suggestions, Ill be sure to keep this thread up to date with my progress on the car and post more pictures once I get it in my garage.
    -G

Depending on where in the metroplex you are I would be happy to help you out. I`ve got a wide assortment of equipment. G21, Rupes 15 Mark II, Rupes mini and ibird, Flex XFE7, and PC, paint thickness guage. Probably 10 different compounds and as many polishes and finishing polishes. I`m not a pro but do have a lot of experience. I can help on the Mazda as well, again depending on where in the metroplex. PM me if interested.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Off topic- does your user name have anything to do with the Corps at A&M?
    Haha yea. Made this account when I was in school, lack of creativity shining through.
    I was D-2 class of `14.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Thought so. Knew some guys from D-2 when I was there- would have to think hard to remember their names now. Nice bunch.

SQ-16 c/o 2008 myself. Small world.
    Likes FIDOAG14 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Depending on where in the metroplex you are I would be happy to help you out. I`ve got a wide assortment of equipment. G21, Rupes 15 Mark II, Rupes mini and ibird, Flex XFE7, and PC, paint thickness guage. Probably 10 different compounds and as many polishes and finishing polishes. I`m not a pro but do have a lot of experience. I can help on the Mazda as well, again depending on where in the metroplex. PM me if interested.
    I have actually sold the Mazda and upgraded to a Ram 1500 (picture attached).
    As for the Chevy, I need to go back and do the Megs #7 Glaze technique (discussed on page two or three of this ) thread to the front fenders. The rest of the body is "as good as it is gonna get" without wet sanding, which I will eventually do. I`ll PM you though! I`m smart enough not to turn down help!1500.jpg

NickClark08,

Yea small world for sure! I actually only did freshman-sop````re year in D-2 then I was 1st SGT and C/O of C-1.
    Last edited by FIDOAG14; 01-31-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the picture!

Post Thanks / Like

Fun little update for you guys:

I finally got the brakes done this weekend. Once we got it figured out they were rather easy to adjust. I must say, though, I have no intention of doing them again without a lift.

After finishing up the brakes, we, of course, had to take it for a few laps around the neighborhood to test them out! Boy, the ol car is running like a champ!

My wife took a short video of us pulling away
    https://goo.gl/photos/syuJi6niN3xGB3sTA

Here is a picture of it, I need to detail it again since we`ve made a mess replacing the fuel line, making idle adjustments, and generally leaned on the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)
    Likes nickclark08, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FIDOAG14- Ah, you must be about finished now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    FIDOAG14- Ah, you must be about finished now.
    Accumulator,

That is a very dangerous statement to make! There are plenty of "small" things I still need to do to the car.

I want to replace the starter switch.
    Find a trunk latch.
    Fix the driver side window lever.
    Find and replace 2 of the hubcaps.
    Actually clean all four of the wheels.
    Reconnect the horn.
    Figure out why my brake light isn`t coming on.
    ...And the list goes on.

But yea as far as running and driving it goes... It`s pretty well finished!

Like I said a lot of small stuff but nothing that can keep me from stretching its legs on these beautiful Texas evenings.
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)
    Likes dschribs liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information