Post Thanks / Like

Question on ceramic coatings??

I have tried a few coatings and had good results...22ple and Kamikaze. After each application, the small application pad always gets a little ridged from the coating curing on it, tells me is working.
    So yesterday, I had to polish my wife`s Q50 again, as she was driving down the street and the local cable guy dropped the line he was working on across the street as she was driving by...the cable hit the hood and went up the A-pillers before she could get the car stopped.

I was able to getting the paint corrected...ended up going over the complete car and thought I would apply the Gyeon Quartz Q2 Mohs coating to test it.

24 hours later, pull the car out of the shop and it looks great, happy with the results. The question is on the small application pad. It does not feel like to the other coatings at all. It is still soft and very pilable.

Did I do something wrong or is there something different about this coating over the others? I was really expecting the small applicator to be stiff as it had 20 hrs to cure...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on ceramic coatings??

Dunno the answer to your ?, but car sure does look good.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

No real answer either, but with PBL coating my applicator never hardens either. I`ve always wondered why.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Gyeon certified detailer. Have used all of the coatings they offer and the felt will never get that hard. You did an excellent job!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I was expecting one thing...and got another.
    The weather this week will be a good test, Rain tonight turning to snow and colder. Once I get some better weather again, I will give the car a good wash and see how everything looks. Only a matter of time to truly judge this coating. Here are a few more pics of the car.20160206_164042_zpsjvw3elj5.jpg20160206_164057_zpslfbb1g5t.jpg20160206_164143_zpsktzrh0x3.jpghttp://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/BLK3V/20160206_164217_zpsfmiww4ru.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I was expecting one thing...and got another.
    The weather this week will be a good test, Rain tonight turning to snow and colder. Once I get some better weather again, I will give the car a good wash and see how everything looks. Only a matter of time to truly judge this coating. Here are a few more pics of the car.20160206_164042_zpsjvw3elj5.jpg20160206_164057_zpslfbb1g5t.jpg20160206_164143_zpsktzrh0x3.jpg20160206_164217_zpsfmiww4ru.jpg20160207_121544_zpsdxr7tbnt.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

You`ll find some coatings will harden applicators and others will not... just depends on the exact chemical make up of the product and does not at all indicate performance, hardness, durability, etc.

In fact, CQuartz Finest will not completely harden an applicator, though we have tested it against many other products and it has proven to have the most durable hydrophobic properties through our midwest winter conditions. Just an example.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

The optic coat, gloss coat and EXO all harden the applicators, the Polish angel and 22ple did not as much. All worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the fact that the coatings are made to bond to paint and not foam may have something to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    The optic coat, gloss coat and EXO all harden the applicators, the Polish angel and 22ple did not as much. All worked well.
    I used the newest version of gloss coat and it did not harden the suede applicators I used. I did put them in a bucket with DP Pad Rejuvator to soak prior to washing them.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

dont have experience with that company but your wifes car came out great
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My question to Chris Thomas at Optimum a while back...... "Why don`t the applicators get very hard from applying opti-coat pro or gloss-coat?"

His answer "It`s because the resin that we use becomes silicon carbide through a chemical reaction with the paint its applied to. It`s a prepolymer that is completed during the reaction.

Because Opti-Coat® actually becomes one with the topcoat and doesn`t simply sit (or glued) on the topcoat, its state is different dried to foam than it would be if dried to paint. You can actually wash and reuse applicators that have applied Opti-Coat®."

This answers why they don`t get hard with those two products. I don`t have the answer for the others. I believe Optimum is the only coating using Silicon Carbide
    >>>> Follow PROTEKT on Facebook
    Likes rlmccarty2000, GearHead_1, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Thread Information