Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lint from MF Towels

I`ve noticed the same "lint" or microfiber shedding on both paint and glass. On the paint I just hit the finish with my air wand and it gone. I`m assuming it`s static electric is to blame. As far as the inside of the window, it`s there when I`m done a couple days later it`s gone, probably opening and closing doors, riding with the windows down must blow it away.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ericssman- Ah, lucky you that it blows off so easily! Wish my MF lint did...
    Likes Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glass is much "Grabbier" than polished, protected paint

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting because I`ve never had towels lint and I use some pretty inexpensive MF towels like the ones you get in packs of 10 at WM. When dirty, I wash the towels using Era or Persil in warm water and dry just like the laundry. Never had a problem. I do have some staining on my WW towels that I use for ONR washes, but others have reported the same thing with ONR.
    Perhaps it`s the (electric) clothes dryer that removes any lint?
    For interior glass I spray one clean towel with Stoners Invisible Glass, wipe and then follow up with a separate MF towel. I usually do the entire interior (windshield first) with the same two towels. I suppose I would switch as/if necessary, but I don`t smoke and the interior glass is usually fairly clean anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

MiVor- Huh, that`s really something that you`ve never experienced MF lint! Sure wish I could say the same. Some are worse than others, some don`t lint at all (at least yet), but it`s something I`ve had to keep an eye on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had lint and now that I’m considering a coating in the spring I am revisiting this.

Typically I wash with dye and scent free detergent and then air dry. Is the air dry where I go wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jester7677 View Post
    I have always had lint and now that I’m considering a coating in the spring I am revisiting this.

Typically I wash with dye and scent free detergent and then air dry. Is the air dry where I go wrong?
    Retail Link Removed

And Esoteric recently came out with a few no-lint items to help during coating:

https://youtu.be/F71FXJjQF3o

https://youtu.be/gR2uCEDEivE

I`ve used all 3 products and like them; had some linting/dusting issues while doing some coatings last summer...its infuriating. I seem to do better with low nap towels. Gyeon PolishWipe towels are a nice, low lint option as well:

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gyeo...ber-towel.html

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has helped me is using a lint roller on towels that I may be having an issue with. I just lay the towel on the opened dryer door and run the lint roller over each side before I put them into there plastic storage bin. This also helps with pulling up the nap of the towels.
    Likes The Driver, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

fly07sti- No issues related to transfer from the lint roller (I`m assuming you`re using the "adhesive-free" type)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    fly07sti- No issues related to transfer from the lint roller (I`m assuming you`re using the "adhesive-free" type)?
    No issues with whatsoever.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had similar issues with glass. What I found was..
    Using my 16x24 Cobra WW drying towels to wash the glass, by spraying the towel not the glass.
    Then use the Blue Korean Premium glass towels from TRC to wipe dry & buff.
    Which helped with the lint because they are polyester, no pile type.
    I also use PBs window cleaner on interior only. Fast drying, good scent, streak less, & no water repellent.
    Same process for exterior but Pinnacle window cleaner for it`s water repellent.
    Works every time.

Post Thanks / Like

For the last 10 years I`ve been using Surgical Huck towels for windows and never had a linting or smear issue. Huck towels are made of a very hard cotton weave with a "grain" to the knit pattern that really cuts through the film on interior windows and grime on the exterior.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In that YMMV vein...Noting that I basically don`t have any problems with windows or other glass surfaces, whenever I tried Surgical Huck Towels (including ones sent by a fellow Autopian.."you`ve gotta try these, they`re great!") I had terrible results and hated them. Basically created a problem where I`d never had one previously.

Meanwhile, others (whom I respect/believe/give credence to) continue to use them with complete satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like

Have had best luck on glass using smaller Gyeon Silk Dryer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who has a brother, I built AR15’s for both of these guys. The brother always wanted to pay me my time though I didn’t want reimbursement. He’s a surgical nurse. He said that the towels they take into the surgerical room are thrown out even if not used after every surgery. He brought me 250 new blue surgical hucks. I had always been told that they don’t lint on windows. I washed them all before using them. Mine linted up windows like crazy. They were truly horrible for this purpose. Made me wonder what they were used for on a patient and if the lint was a problem. They make fine oil change or otherwise disposable towels.

I’ve had good luck with several other types of towels. The Ulitimate Cloth, Arctic White Waffle Weave Glass towels and Griot’s PFM Dual Weave Glass Towels all have a place in my collection. Oddly when one doesn’t quite seem to be cutting it one of the others does.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information