Post Thanks / Like

Just got back into detailing after a long time away.

And I`m not off to a great start.

First thing I did was buy some really nice MF towels from the rag company, about $250 worth. They came fast and were really nice towels. I wanted to wash them all before use. Earlier in the day I polished my tail pipes with steel wool. I used some of my old towels for this. These old towels were ready for the trash so I put all the used up steel wool in the old rags and put this in a bucket. Somehow (I don`t live alone) this got mixed into the washer with all the new towels. What a mess. Perhaps I could have got all the steel wool out but I couldn`t risk it, I threw them all out and reordered. And I had to clean the washer out.

I bought some optimum 3" mf cutting pads for my new rupes mini. This combo did not work for me. The pads lasted less than 5 minutes before the microfiber came off the foam. I will try the rupes brand mf pads next. I just like optimum products so much I thought I`d try this.

I bought some iron x spray. The spray head fell apart in shipping and made spraying the iron x much harder than it should have been. I wasn`t sure if I should use another sprayer because of the metal spring. On the plus side the smell was fine, I was worried after reading about how bad the smell is.

I have great respect for everyone who does this for a living, really hard on the body. My back is still sore.

I can`t wait for my next project.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just got back into detailing after a long time away.

Yeah... things don`t go the right way all the time. And it`s usually when you are `starting` something.

Unfortunate but you did the right thing throwing out the towels... the steel wool particles could have never been purged.

No experience with the Rupes mini but Meg`s smaller MF cutting and finishing have held up well for me on a traditional R/O.

Iron-X gels `can` be a better alternative than the spray version in certain circumstances... but the spray works perfectly fine too.

It will get better... don`t fret. And keep the rotary skills fresh... they are still relevant.

-Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the addiction
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The forum.

I like to use SOS Pads to clean white lettering, white walls and exhaust pipes.
    I remember I used to dip the pad in my wash bucket until one day while washing the side of my truck I see scratches.
    Come to find a nice piece on my wash mitt.
    Anytime I use steel wool or SOS I wet with the hose and toss it in the trash after use no matter how much life it may have left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LosGatosJim View Post
    Perhaps I could have got all the steel wool out but I couldn`t risk it, I threw them all out and reordered. And I had to clean the washer out.
    Oh man, what a disaster!

I bought some optimum 3" mf cutting pads for my new rupes mini.
    I love Optimum products but their MF pads....eh.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    I like to use SOS Pads to clean white lettering, white walls
    That must be a Jersey thing...of course I haven`t had any whitewalls or letters to clean at my house since...er...about 1988? Did work great though.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like me ....MURPHY`S LAW

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia - Recognizing the obsession is the first step of self awareness. Sadly, we know of no cure and can only help you feed the beast with tips, tricks, products, procedures and the like.

It sounds like you`re off to a rough start, but hang in there and rest up for the next adventure.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Welcome to the addiction
    My wife was asking why I care so much about cleaning the cars and not the house. Made me wonder, are there housekeeping forums where people are posting 50/50 shots of shower doors? Perhaps. I started thinking. My house is 3 months old so it`s not that dirty yet. I started by pressure washing and foaming the whole house. Cleaned all the windows and watched them sparkle without drying using my DI water. Then I moved to the interior. Steam cleaned the bathrooms, even my steam shower. I was going to apply a coating to the shower door glass, but it already has one - damn. Polished and sealed all the chrome. I was kinda sad I couldn`t use my carpet extractor as my house has no carpet or rugs. Tonight I was back to the cars.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife was asking why I care so much about cleaning the cars and not the house. Made me wonder, are there housekeeping forums where people are posting 50/50 shots of shower doors? Perhaps. I started thinking. My house is 3 months old so it`s not that dirty yet. I started by pressure washing and foaming the whole house. Cleaned all the windows and watched them sparkle without drying using my DI water. Then I moved to the interior. Steam cleaned the bathrooms, even my steam shower. I was going to apply a coating to the shower door glass, but it already has one - damn. Polished and sealed all the chrome. I was kinda sad I couldn`t use my carpet extractor as my house has no carpet or rugs. Tonight I was back to the cars.
    Now that`s funny!
    And since you asked... Housekeeping Forum

Post Thanks / Like

When detailing, always wear a back brace or a cervical brace. Couple of known details have disc herniation that is permanent, leading to arthritis and bone degeneration. These diseases can not be cured and will progress in the future, leading to severe aches! Just a heads up but welcome back!

Thread Information