Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Classic rust action on my mazda3

How would you guys go about fixing this rust before it gets any worse? I want to repaint the whole car so there is no worry on that topic as a few people have mentioned to me.

I bought this car with the rust shown, I had a buddy of mine fix the rockers so I could get it on the road, but the rest is still sitting and getting worse. Now that I have a steady income on its way, I want to get this stuff fixed up!

Along with the rust I have a nasty scrap on my window that I have no idea where it came from. Fixable?

+ Some stone chips and some sort of bubbling on the hood.

How would I go about treating such stuff? I apologise, I know this doesn`t have much to do with car detailing, but I couldn`t really find more of a appropriate place for it, and figured the car gods of this forum may have some insight.

Thanks in advance!

uploadfromtaptalk1437252539182.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437252568627.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437252619836.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437252654314.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437252691103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437252725040.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437252768295.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classic rust action on my mazda3

What has been mentioned to you previouisly is what needs to be done to fix your problem. Chances are that nothing short of body and paint would be of any real benefit. It`s just beyond any type of detailing fix and this same thread might best be served on a body and paint forum as opposed to a detailing board.

Having rust along those seams and eybrows is an issue and hopefully when you get to that place you`ll get a body man that will take it to the point of a real fix and not just shoot paint over it. That likely includes cutting the rust out of those wheel arches and welding new material in. Even blasting it would likely come up short and the repair wouldn`t be sound. The cancer lives on the other side of those wheel arches. It`s a tough one.

If you don`t mind me asking, what did your friend do to the rockers?

I don`t know if your glass can be repaired but the product that 3D has coming out would be worth a look once it`s available. Maybe you should get a hold of them and offer to be a Beta tester.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes diericksetim liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    What has been mentioned to you previouisly is what needs to be done to fix your problem. It is beyond any type of detailing benefit. Truth is the sooner the better. Having rust along those seams is an issue and hopefully when you get to that point you`ll get a body man that will take it to the point of a real fix and not just shoot paint over it. It`s a tough one.
    What would be the better route? A brand new body? Or having the rust professionally fixed?

My only concern is pouring a ton of money into my beauty and it breaking somewhere down the line to the point where I can`t afford to fix it. She`s already hit 250,000kms.

Any insight is very much appreciated,

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, i hate rust. What year is the car? To fix rust PROPERLY is a very time consuming and therefore expensive repair. And no body shops that i know of like to do it. Rust sucks but look at how the manufacturers make these vehicles and its no wonder how it happens. Stupid engineering, combined with cheap as possible components. For people living in the rust belt, it is crucial to keep your undercarriage rinsed clean to try and help prevent rust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    Yikes, i hate rust. What year is the car? To fix rust PROPERLY is a very time consuming and therefore expensive repair. And no body shops that i know of like to do it. Rust sucks but look at how the manufacturers make these vehicles and its no wonder how it happens. Stupid engineering, combined with cheap as possible components. For people living in the rust belt, it is crucial to keep your undercarriage rinsed clean to try and help prevent rust.
    It is a 2005, and that`s why I figured perhaps fixing the rust myself would be a little cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diericksetim View Post
    What would be the better route? A brand new body? Or having the rust professionally fixed?

My only concern is pouring a ton of money into my beauty and it breaking somewhere down the line to the point where I can`t afford to fix it. She`s already hit 250,000kms.

Any insight is very much appreciated,

Thanks,

Well... a new body is probably out of the question when it comes to the value of the car. Replacing panels or just arches is going to be the answer. I had a not to disimilar situation when I was 19 years old. I had a vehicle I loved and it needed more body work than a bucket butt kid could afford. I was going to college during the day but signed up at a local trade school in the evening to learn a bit about body and paint. I did it for 2 semesters and learned a great deal. I had a great instructor that helped me and I learned to weld panels, pound and pull dents, a bit about fabrication, spread filler (very limited quantites) and learned a bit about body and paint work. I got to work on my vehicle as my project all while using their equiptment.

Doing something like this would insure a proper repair up to your standards and probably save you more than enough to pay for the classes. Not to mention those skills will serve you the rest of your life. I learned a some valuable lessons through this experience. Most importantly I am not a commercial body and paint guy, I could never have done this for a living. I found that I`m just to particular (read slow) to actually make money doing this. That said, I was always pleased with the end product and felt the work was done correctly. The other thing I learned was to make friends with a good body and paint guy and trade him your needs for mechanical work, those people are invauable and deserve everything they can get.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    Yikes, i hate rust. What year is the car? To fix rust PROPERLY is a very time consuming and therefore expensive repair. And no body shops that i know of like to do it.

This. And most body shops don`t want to because they have to guarantee for life these days and most will do their best to exempt rust repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing panels or just arches is going to be the answer.
    Get a body shop quote and you`ll see that this probably ISN`T the answer vs the value of the car.

To give you an example I just had my Dodge Challenger Pass side rear quarter repaired because of rust. It was a warranty claim, and I guarantee that most here can`t get as low a price as Chrysler warranty will actually pay. The bill was $2120. I hate to say it? A rusty older Mazda really doesn`t have any value except to you. Either get out of it or drive it until the wheels fall off.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s all relative and dependant on how much you love your car and you`re probably right. I guess my point was it isn`t like you can lift the body off of a uni-car and set a new one on.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

It`s all relative and dependant on how much you love your car and you`re probably right. I guess my point was it isn`t like you can lift the body off of a uni-car and set a new one on.
    I don`t love my car enough to spend over 2,000 to fix rust. I can put a whole new crappy plastic body on for half that price and fix my rust issue. Minus the rockers. That`s still fun for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

So setting rust aside, the mad chip in my Drivers window. Is there any good way to fix that? It`s a nasty one. But I`m not going to buy a whole new window haha.

Post Thanks / Like

For a 2005 with 250,000 kms (155,343 miles) you either do the body work yourself or just accept that it`s now a beater. You`d need to grind/sand the rust back to bare metal, chemically treat/covert any remaining rust, bondo, prime, paint...oh yea, and use a rust prevention/inhibitor product behind some/all of those areas. It would be a lot of work....but could take the car to the end of days... but give up the notion that it will ever look new again...it`s just not worth a restoration. ALSO, even assuming it`s mechanically sound, have a good look at the undercarriage - it may be even rougher than the body and there`s no point wasting time and money on a car that`s pretty much had it.

For the glass, there are polymer repairs that may work, but I`m uncertain of any DIY product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    For a 2005 with 250,000 kms (155,343 miles) you either do the body work yourself or just accept that it`s now a beater. You`d need to grind/sand the rust back to bare metal, chemically treat/covert any remaining rust, bondo, prime, paint...oh yea, and use a rust prevention/inhibitor product behind some/all of those areas. It would be a lot of work....but could take the car to the end of days... but give up the notion that it will ever look new again...it`s just not worth a restoration. ALSO, even assuming it`s mechanically sound, have a good look at the undercarriage - it may be even rougher than the body and there`s no point wasting time and money on a car that`s pretty much had it.

For the glass, there are polymer repairs that may work, but I`m uncertain of any DIY product.
    So she`s a beater. Disappointing, but understandable.

Post Thanks / Like

Time go start saving for a new car, any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diericksetim View Post
    Time go start saving for a new car, any suggestions?
    If buying used, make sure it doesn`t already have similar rust issues.

Get it rustrpoofed and get into the habit of cleaning out all the dirt/salt/etc. in those areas so the new one doesn`t rust out the same way. That rust in the wells/around the lips is from not keeping those surfaces clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information