Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I Going To Be Disappointed With Bumper Repaint?

It`s not so much the thickness of the paint, but the process of taking it from bare metal to using several coats of products used to increase durability and adhesion, then painting and baking in a environment far superior to that of a body shop. They very much have it down to a science and don`t need to "cut corners" like body shops often do, things like simply scuffing and respraying instead of sanding all the way down and repriming. That`s where you lose a lot of durability, it`s in the prep work, and most body shops, when painting a bumper or fender, aren`t taking the paint off first, it`s scuff and shoot when not changing colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay..that`s all fine and dandy...but I still have a bumper cover that needs to be replaced.

Living with a dinged/damaged bumper really isn`t for me.

So what`s my alternative other than a body shop?

Serious question

Post Thanks / Like

melissa809- There really isn`t an alternative (whether independent or dealership, you need a bodyshop). Just find a good shop. If you`re just having the bumpercover done it`s simply not a big deal, oughta go fine just as ShaneB said. They`ll use the right stuff (flex additive) so the plastic stays painted, though yeah...it probably won`t be as durable/tough as the factory painted one was (voice of experience, I`ve had dozens of them done). That`s just the nature of the situation and I really don`t think you oughta worry about it.

The only challenge here is to find a good shop that`ll do a nice job while taking good care of the car. Politely but clearly explain where you`re coming from (hey, you are *NOT* the "typical female customer" that they`re used to dealing with! Not by a long shot...and they might not be the most, uhm...enlightened individuals on the planet) and if you have any reservations go talk with a different shop. Nothing wrong with getting a few different bids on it anyhow, though it`s easy for *me* to waste *your* time Don`t set anything up until/unless you`re confident that it`ll turn out OK.
    Likes MooreImpressive liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are "clean" body shops and "dirty" body shops. The difference is the end product. You can now buy bumper covers already painted. Tell them to "bag" your car to keep it clean. Be sure they are using decent paints. Some of the best are Spies Hecker or Glassorite. Some others are Dupont who just sold out, and a big company PPG which a lot of shops use. If the cover does not match then why fix it right? Who wants a car that looks like its been hit. It has to match. Sorry about your luck. Must have been someone on a cell phone. Its getting worse with these distracted idiots.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no alternative, you need physically add material. Detailing won`t fix the issue. I offered to help you out and recommend a good shop as did the rest of us, what more are you looking for? The answer is cut an dry. Go with detailing dynamics, I`m sure you`ll be happy.

As for the rest of us we have our people that were loyal to...

Post Thanks / Like

If they are replacing the bumper and not just fixing and painting the old one, be sure to ask if they intend to buy OEM or aftermarket. OEM usually comes as raw plastic, without any primer on it, whereas aftermarket (generally Chinese) will already be primed black or gray and they need to understand the difference when it comes to prep work. Of course, a reputable body shop will know this, so just be sure you go to one. Then, of course, it also means the price will be higher at those places. Don`t be afraid to go to the auto services section of Craigslist, I know lots of guys who paint at a body shop during the day and do very good side work at home. If you do your research and ask for pictures of recent work and/or references, you could probably save a couple hundred dollars that way. Just be sure to be very careful with it for a month or so, then apply the hardest coating you can find to help shell the generally softer than average new paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay...I`m going either with Detailing Dynamics or Finish Line...both top notch shops.

Thanks for your input, guys....much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

The car doesn`t have to be there for them to paint s bumper. If anythng just get them to order the part and paint it and you will come back to have it installed. I paint on the side and bumpers take all of 20 minutes to take off and put back on. Black will match with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    ...I paint on the side and bumpers take all of 20 minutes to take off and put back on.
    Heh heh, unless you`re doing the front one on of my Audis
    Likes jsou liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information