Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning and protecting tight area between a truck cab and truck bed.

Just got a complaint from a customer because we were not able to thoroughly clean and wax the area between his truck cab and truck bed.

This is what he said:
    "With a pick up truck there is an area between the cab and the bed that is VERY difficult to get to. I have used a brush with a long wire extension and a drill in an attempt to provide some protection for this area. I was told you have no such plan for this area."

I attached a picture of the area that he is talking about.

What is a good way to clean and protect this area?

Attached Images Attached Images

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning and protecting tight area between a truck cab and truck bed.

Well, as you know, it is possible to only go so far in and down, by hand..
    There are products made for trucks on plastic poles that hold a thick pad made for getting in between and washing this, but it will be hard to get it all perfect..
    You would not want to use anything with metal wire, etc., down there holding anything, for fear of the metal scratching the paint.. I would never consider that..
    Will try to remember where I bought that really good thick pad with a flexible plastic flat handle that allowed you to soap up and clean down there both sides of that area..
    Short of pulling the bed off and really cleaning and coating it, there is really no perfect way to get up there unless you have really long, skinny arms and little hands, and can get to this from every angle including the bottom, going up.. That would require you having a Lift or a way to lift up the truck and work it from the bottom..
    Good luck,
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

customer is nuts. Its like saying you did not wax under the hood or the door jambs. If this is a special request he should pay and I would loosen the box and move it back enough to get a hand in there to not only clean properly but wax as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Sleper - it would be like waxing under the hood, trunk lid and jams. I have a truck but not a solution for this....but I don`t wax under the hood either.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the smallest wheel woolie and some onr or APC. otherwise take a MF towel wrap it around some string, and floss that $h%#.

Then rinse and hit it with permanon and when he sees the beads, do not tell him how you did it and charge him a few extra bucks. Let him know it was very labor intensive.

PITA requests =PROFIT

ITS A GREAT COUNTRY THIS AMERICA RIGHT?
    Likes Robert DiTerlizzi, JHL88, jsou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the large Daytona Speed Brush or the large Wheel Woolie brush, go down from the top and in from the sides.
    Spray CarPro Hydro2 in there and rinse
    Robert DiTerlizzi
    Impressions fine automotive detailing
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Making Martin County shine - one car at a time
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert DiTerlizzi View Post
    ...in from the sides.
    I mean no offense but can only see this as a solution on a imited number of trucks. Many have beds that are lliteraly molded around the cab corners and there is a very little or no straight shot from the side. Chances of maring the paint using an extension may well make this a proposition where the reward doesn`t justify the risk. In some instances things look much different from the bottom, the world kind of opens up and an extension touching finish wouldn`t be a huge issue should one slip.

If the customer is dead set on this and money isn`t an issue... well if there`s a will there`s a way. 4 to 6 bed bolts (some bolts may have bed liner sprayed over them), perhaps a fuel filler neck and wiring connectors in extrme cases, 4 to 6 strong backs and you can move the bed back enough to get an arm in there. I don`t really know of another way to do this in a manner I would be proud in saying I`ve done. Now if this is all explained to the owner and he wants to do it knowing the expense, then damn the torpedoes.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Truck cap and camper brush from top of the line

Product Description from their website:

An Innovative Scrubber that "Cleans Between" the Truck Cap and Camper Shell.

You just had that beautiful camper put on the back of your pick-up and realized you have a new problem. How do you clean your truck`s rear window?

The "Kleen Between" Truck Window Washer is designed to stretch into those impossible-to-reach areas. The handle on the Kleen Between is 31" long and only 2" thick!

The Kleen Between can also be used on boats to wash transom stains and on RV`s to clean windows or that area between the RV`s side and the awning support arms. You can also use the long-handled scrubber in your home to clean and dust under appliances.

Truck Window & Cap Brush Features:

•31" handle
    •Head 8` x 4 1/2" x 2" thick (compresses down to 1/4")
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can see my way through the washing (have done so). Have used a yard stick wrapped in towels. The protection is a bit more entailed. Hydro may be the best solution.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think of it, AT LEAST FOR MY TRUCK, this is a good candidate for an undercoating product like Fluid Film and just let it be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sleper View Post
    customer is nuts. Its like saying you did not wax under the hood or the door jambs. If this is a special request he should pay and I would loosen the box and move it back enough to get a hand in there to not only clean properly but wax as well.
    Yup. pay to R&R the bed. I can understand asking, but the expectation it be done? Nope, Nope, and No f`ing way. Like Gearhead_1 said though, it`s really not hard to take a bed off, but better not be a few years old in the rust belt either. We had to replace an in-tank fuel pump in a buddies F-150 and it actually was easier to take the bed off than drop the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Do as I do and R&R the bed

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    Truck cap and camper brush from top of the line

Product Description from their website:

An Innovative Scrubber that "Cleans Between" the Truck Cap and Camper Shell.

You just had that beautiful camper put on the back of your pick-up and realized you have a new problem. How do you clean your truck`s rear window?

The "Kleen Between" Truck Window Washer is designed to stretch into those impossible-to-reach areas. The handle on the Kleen Between is 31" long and only 2" thick!

The Kleen Between can also be used on boats to wash transom stains and on RV`s to clean windows or that area between the RV`s side and the awning support arms. You can also use the long-handled scrubber in your home to clean and dust under appliances.

Truck Window & Cap Brush Features:

•31" handle
    •Head 8` x 4 1/2" x 2" thick (compresses down to 1/4")
    Paul Mitchell - That is IT !!!
    This is the only product I have ever seen and used that worked pretty good on the trucks that have enough space to put it in between there..

Thank you, Paul !!!
    Dan F
    Likes Paul Mitchell liked this post
    Thanks Paul Mitchell thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kleen Between Truck Window Cleaner

Here is the device Paul Mitchell speaks of - could they have used a more grainier picture

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Do as I do and R&R the bed
    Not really asking about your rate but would like to know how much time you would quote on the average bed R&R? I`ve honestly never heard of a Detailer offering this as a service though apparently there must be a market for it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information