Post Thanks / Like

Remedy for towels that lint?

Is there a wash method that anyone uses to remedy towels that tend to lint? I have some good Korean towels (Kona Blue from ADS) and they lint horribly on just-waxed surfaces, even spray waxing and QD. I like the towels other than the lint, and would like to "fix" them if possible.

On a side note: Poorboy`s Microfiber not only tends to not lint, but they pulled up the lint left on the car overnight by the Konas!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for towels that lint?

IME (and I too have some MFs that I like but lint something awful), the only real solution is replacing them SOMETIMES the linting stops after a few washes if I dry them in the dryer, but not very often.

And yeah, I too use my no-lint ones (with a QD/etc.) to clean it up, but it`s hard to really get it all.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have found washing and letting my good waxing towels air dry seems to work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    I have found washing and letting my good waxing towels air dry seems to work well.
    If I air-dry I seem to get issues with some textiles (even my MFs) not coming out as soft, and I can`t help but think that all the MF lint I find on the dryer`s lint filter would`ve otherwise ended up on the vehicles. Nah, not knocking air-drying, it just doesn`t work well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    If I air-dry I seem to get issues with some textiles (even my MFs) not coming out as soft, and I can`t help but think that all the MF lint I find on the dryer`s lint filter would`ve otherwise ended up on the vehicles. Nah, not knocking air-drying, it just doesn`t work well for me.
    Yeah I hear ya! I have had some issues with it too but not always. Do you dry on low heat? I know high heat can cause issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    .. Do you dry on low heat? I know high heat can cause issues.
    Yeah, although I sometimes mess up and dry the MFs on the Medium setting that I use for cotton detailing towels. I`ve messed up even worse and dried some MFs on High, and/but it never did any damge to them. The dryer in the garage/shop doesn`t sem to get hot enough to do damage but I don`t want to press my luck either.

Just FWIW, I basically dry *everything* non-detailing (clothes, household towels, etc.) on Low also, and I take out some delicate stuff while slightly damp and hang it up or lay it flat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, although I sometimes mess up and dry the MFs on the Medium setting that I use for cotton detailing towels. I`ve messed up even worse and dried some MFs on High, and/but it never did any damge to them. The dryer in the garage/shop doesn`t sem to get hot enough to do damage but I don`t want to press my luck either.

Just FWIW, I basically dry *everything* non-detailing (clothes, household towels, etc.) on Low also, and I take out some delicate stuff while slightly damp and hang it up or lay it flat.
    Drying fabrics makes them softer (to the touch) because it straightens the fibers, and allows the fabric to stretch back out to as-new condition. Hang-drying causes the fabric to stay in the "wet position" while it dries, making the fabric more dense and less airy, Drying on Low is safe, and to me, a no brainer.

Now, about them linty towels, I`m thinking washing them separately, two times, with extra rinse at the end. In the dryer, I`ll throw in a few dry el-cheapo MFTs to catch the lint as it flies around the drier. If that doesn`t work, I`m selling these on eBay.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Drying fabrics makes them softer (to the touch) because it straightens the fibers..
    Yeah, that makes sense. Funny how it *really* applies to some textiles but not to others (I have some shirts and old washcloths that stay nice and soft no matter *what*).

Now, about them linty towels, I`m thinking washing them separately, two times, with extra rinse at the end. In the dryer, I`ll throw in a few dry el-cheapo MFTs to catch the lint as it flies around the drier...
    That`s a good idea, putting the cheapos in there to act as lint traps. I`ve made the mistake of washing/drying my linty MFs with my better ones, contaminating the latter something awful.

Post Thanks / Like

This can be a little tedious but its work for me. Get one of the old school red lint brushes and go over the towel a few times with it after drying the towel.
    Likes TTBear liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    This can be a little tedious but its work for me. Get one of the old school red lint brushes and go over the towel a few times with it after drying the towel.
    This is a great suggestion - thanks! I purchased a ton of silk-edged buffing towels, which are amazingly soft, and work really well, apart from the fact that they are linty like crazy. I`ll try this. Thanks!
    Anima sana in corpore sano

Current:

2020 Lamborghini Huracán EVO
    2023 BMW X4M Competition
    2019 BMW M2 Competition
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

I gave away my linty towels away to friends who just started washing their car, and/or don`t care about the lint. Then I upgraded to new/better quality microfibers, in the end it`s a win, win.

I had noticed that the towels started to lint much less after the 5-10 washes, but they still left some lint...

Post Thanks / Like

I never really have any issues with my MF towels linting. I always air dry my towels on wood racks and then put them in the dryer when dry for about 5-7 mins. I put in a set of dryer balls that cuts down on the static.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    I can totally see myself doing this, while watching TV, wife shaking her head. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I can totally see myself doing this, while watching TV, wife shaking her head. Thanks for the tip.
    That`s my Saturday ritual before my weekly wash. I am usually watching something on Velocity drinking coffee and combing through my towels.

My wife has just accepted it.

Thread Information