Thread: sunroof

Post Thanks / Like

sunroof

off topic, but close? looking at a sun/moonroof for new car. approx $1,300.00. does the "newness" wear off after awhile and you don`t use? would you buy again? thoughts? thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by alben View Post
    off topic, but close? looking at a sun/moonroof for new car. approx $1,300.00. does the "newness" wear off after awhile and you don`t use? would you buy again? thoughts? thanks in advance
    I`m not a sunroof person ... they take away too much headspace for me ... at least in the cars I`ve sat in that had one ... But I am/was a T-Top guy, I had two Camaros both with T-Tops and I loved every minute of them, summer, fall, winter, spring. The ONLY downside was that I had a very small leak on the front outside corner of them (yes both of them) that I never did figure out how to fix, but even with the leak(s) I would still buy another T-Topped car.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

It wore off for me. When open, they are noisy, Often it is either too hot or too cold to have it open. Most newer cars have excellent climate systems these days that are quiet and fuel efficient. Car interior accumulates a lot less dust when I leave it closed.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the extra light having just the glass closed provides.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one in my Buick Rendezvous...I liked it at first, then the switch got hinky making it difficult to close so I left it closed. As if that wasn`t enough, the drain for it messed up and caused water to pool on the passenger side floor. It had to be half torn apart to resolve.
    So I have mixed feelings, but I think I`ll pass on one in the future unless there`s a ride that has one with a deal too good to walk away from.

Post Thanks / Like

Would never intentionally order one in a new vehicle. I have one, it is not used.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m with GearHead. My loaded Caddy CTS-V happened to come with a sunroof onboard as part of the "luxury features" the car had when I purchased it. Having never owned a car with a sunroof before, I will admit that I was curious. It did not make the sale though. I drove drop tops for the previous 17 years, so I might be expected to have been disappointed...?

I don`t use the "hatch" at all anymore, as I find the sunroof actually noisier than having a well-designed drop top. In my opinion, these things are a joke, and I will not buy another car with a sunroof. Each to their own, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m kinda surprised by the dislike of the sunroof here. I always loved having a sunroof and drove with it open any chance I got. Don`t have a car with one anymore but miss it every warm spring/summer day.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it all the time. One I like the extra light and two, I often just keep it open and don`t use the A/C. All of the hot air in the cabin just escapes right out.

Now if I was getting something sporty like a BMW 2 series, I would NOT get one to avoid the extra weight on the top of the car.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had many vehicles with Sunroofs and never used them..
    I see most women using them and they seem to like them more..
    I dont care for the extra light, and heat when the cover is slid back.
    They are noisy when open and there is always the threat of the drains plugging up and then the water leaking into your car, sometimes, staining your headliner..
    The opener/closer mechanism can give you problems on some vehicles more than others, so there is that to think about..
    Good luck with your research..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve always used my sunroof when I had one. I currently don`t on my truck but my next vehicle will have one. I`ll buy a vehicle with a sunroof but am more hesitant to add one to a vehicle without one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Would never intentionally order one in a new vehicle. I have one, it is not used.
    What ^ he ^ said.

Got it, never use it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Same here, but many times you have to take it as options are now offered in "Packages"
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thread Information