Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car care advice and tips needed

Quote Originally Posted by ride92 View Post
    So if the M09 won`t actually take out the swirl marks would M205 be suitable? I can usually find that at places near by. I picked up the mequiars 5" backing plate today for the DA so that should be much better then the original one.

Should I try to get the dealer to remove the swirl marks or will they most likely just make it worse?

M09 WILL NOT do what you`re after, M205 might. I`d *much* rather order some HD Polish instead, but that`s just me and if local OTC is a big factor then yeah, the M105/M205 twins and/or Ultimate Compound/Ultimate Polish twins are good products.

DO NOT under any circumstances trust the dealer to fix it; if they knew anything you wouldn`t have the issue period. I`m 100% confident that they`ll make it worse, maybe a whole *lot* worse.

Factory paint does not need to cure, it`s a different type of paint technology and it`s baked at high temps and is good to go long before you ever see the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will pick up some of the Ultimate polish and give that whirl hopefully it will remove the swirl.

I`m so confused about interior care right now my head is spinning. I`ve been reading threads and some say to use a leather conditioner, others say that leather conditioner is a waste since the leather is a coated leather. Others say that leather conditioner will actually hurt cause it might get into the perforations and lift the coating up, some say to just use a interior protectant, others say do nothing but use a cleaner. What is the right answer?

And what about all purpose cleaners? I know my CX-5 doesn`t need any interior cleaning right now but what can I use in the future? I`ve read about meguiars APC and APC+, what`s the difference between the two. I have several cleaners and degreasers in the garage right now, though none are specific to car interiors. Would anything like Simple Green Pro HD (the purple stuff not the green stuff) or Superclean, dilute way down work for cleaning? Can any of that be used on the exterior trim or tires? Not that I`m opposed to getting another cleaner but I`d thought I`d see if any of that would work, since I already have gallons of it.

Post Thanks / Like

ride92- I won`t/don`t use anything by Simple Green on my vehicles, period.

I bascially treat my exterior trim like paint- I use something like a spraywax on it if not a dedicated Trim Sealant. I don`t use Exterior Rubber Vinyl ("ERV") dressings on such surfaces.

Tires- I use Griot`s Rubber Cleaner or Optimum PowerClean or the green All Purpose Cleaner ("APC") from 3D/HD.

I just don`t think you oughta need to do much of *anything* to your new leather interior. Yes, it`s coated and until it developes cracks/microfissures/etc. it`d doubtful that any product will actually make it to the leather.

You could treat it with a *protectant* from Leather Doctor (my first choice, big PIA to order from him though) or LeatherMasters, but I wouldn`t bother at this point. I`d just by an Interior Quick Detailer product and keep it clean with that.

Our leather interiors get used *hard* (including hauling big, active dogs almost daily) but I never have to do much of anything to maintain them, even after many years. My approach is to merely keep them clean (with very gentle, known-to-be-safe products/procedures). I`m talking 6-digit mileage on year-round daily drivers at least a decade old (one is a `93)...they just don`t need all the [crap] that people try to sell you IME. Don`t use some oddball/mystery product that might mess things up; don`t put some slimy stuff on there that`ll retain dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    You could treat it with a *protectant* from Leather Doctor (my first choice, big PIA to order from him though) or LeatherMasters, but I wouldn`t bother at this point. I`d just by an Interior Quick Detailer product and keep it clean with that.
    That`s what`s so great about Optimum Protectant Plus (aka Leather Protectant) is great for coated leather and vinyl so it makes it easy to do the entire interior with one product. Has a mild cleaner in the protectant, not greasey at all and has a nice matt finish. I believe Dr G designed it specifically for coated leather.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

pwaug- The Optimum Protectant Plus sounds like a fine choice for those who need/want it. Don`t want to sound like I`m all close-minded about doing much of anything to leather (so I`d better post something to clarify that..hence this), I just seldom find it necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information