Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Post Thanks / Like

Re: About to start paint correction - need some help

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    If you do the washes right and avoid any touching between those washes, you shouldn`t have to polish annually (I virtually *never* polish my vehicles, not for years on end). Whether or not you need to use a polish (well, at least an abrasive one) will depend on whether the paint needs any correction or not. If for some reason it needs worked on for other reasons (removing oxidation, stripping off "dead wax" artifacts, etc.) you can use a Paint Cleaner or All In One and remove less clear than regular polishing would.

The iron-removing chemicals can get off (ferrous) contamination that the claybar didn`t completely remove (clay will often leave minute amounts of stuff down in the pores/etc. of the paint). I used to occasionally get recurrent "rust blooms" when I only clayed, but eliminated the problem for good when I used the chemical approach. But hey, if you don`t have any ferrous contamination issues, then you don`t need to use something that resolves those issues.

I would`ve pulled the wheels off and done the barrels and the backsides of the spokes too, but that`s just me. The LSPed areas will stay a lot cleaner than the bare areas, but that only matters if it matters to *you*.
    I was wondering about the annual polishing since I`ve seen some posts about it on the forums. I`m assuming this is something your alluding to - if you wash and maintain the car properly, there wouldn`t be a need to polish. As far as rust, I don`t see much of it on the car - just a few very small scratch specks.

Question about Fk1000P: Do you think using a spray wax after washes is a good idea when using this product? I`m assuming it is but you know more about this product than I. I actually tried the FK1000P last week but to be honest, I initially wasn`t really happy with the looks. The gloss and depth seemed to be slightly muted. There was shine though. I have heard that over time, the product cures and might make it look better. So I`m going to try FK1000P again and see how it does. It did seem like a durable product though.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Nav45- I`m surprised that the FK1000P was lacking in gloss (unless you can I define "gloss" differently, which is possible), but not that it had muted depth. My take on it is that it`s so shiny/reflective that it appears shallow, hence no real "fall into it..." type depth.

It usually does look a bit different after a day or two, but by now it looks the way it`s gonna look. Huh...the idea that the gloss is muted sure has me scratching my head. I`m assuming the Final Polishing left it looking *great* even after any polishing oils were stripped away...

Eh, it`s look just isn`t everyone`s cup of tea. I didn`t (at least initially) like it on the metallic black Yukon I used to have, but the durability and protection were more important to me.

The closest I`ve come to using a Spray Wax on FK1000P was Garry Dean`s Beyond Infinity Sealant (a wipe-on-walk-away LSP) and I only used that in the out-of-the-way areas like the trunk jamb/etc. No issues at all with that. I generally skip a spray wax (such as Meguiar`s Ultimate Qwik Wax) because I don`t want to risk messing up my ability to add more FK1000P and I don`t know how compatible such products might be.

SoI just use FK425 or FK146 or Garry`s Infinite Use Detail Juice ( "IUDJ", a rinseless wash that plays nice with all LSPs I`ve tried it on) as a drying aid, and I always use one of those unless I`m applying more FK1000P. They (especially perhaps the IUDJ) do seem to give it a little added pop.

Yeah, IMO the right wash/dry regimen (and avoidance of touching the paint between washes) can pretty much eliminate the need to polish. But there are just *so* many variables that you`ll just have to see how it goes and what your Threshold of Acceptance turns out to be (no, vehicles don`t have to be perfect...not unless *you* insist upon it).

Doesn`t really sound like you need further decontamination IMO, but I can`t help thinking that you might`ve done better to use the "ABC" approach back when you did the initial Big Job, instead of the clay. I`d just keep an eye on things and see how that goes as well (gets worse, decontaminate; doesn`t, don`t think about it).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nav45- I`m surprised that the FK1000P was lacking in gloss (unless you can I define "gloss" differently, which is possible), but not that it had muted depth. My take on it is that it`s so shiny/reflective that it appears shallow, hence no real "fall into it..." type depth.

Got a feeling that you hit it on the head. Not used to the shallow sealant look.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Accum, I am still learning the terminology so I should be careful when I use the words gloss, depth, shine, etc. I`m almost acting like I know what I`m talking about .

The shine and gloss (similar I think, right?) were fine under most conditions but the overall look was different from the other LSPs I`ve tried. I think the look was a little less "wet" and deep (again, I think I know what these generally mean). I may not have properly used the finishing polish before I applied the Fk1000P - not sure, but I will try it again. I was very pleasantly surprised when I over-applied the FK to the car`s rear matte black diffuser and it came out really nice! It darkened it up quite a bit and made the faded trim look great. On one other area of trim on the car, it did not work so well though but overall, I was happy about that.

I want to use a durable LSP but one that also adds to the car`s looks. The current LSP I have on is a spray sealant and while it does add to the look, I`m not sure how durable it is. I do have to be honest about the FK1000P though: it felt like a substantial product and something I think would be quite durable. I will try it again not far from now.

Good to know how you use the FK1000P. With a lot of the LSPs, many people use some sort of "booster" to maintain it. I`m wondering if this sort of thing is dependent on the type of LSP used or preference by the user? Maybe both?

I`ve seen some nice reviews on the IUDJ by you and some others so I`m interested in the product. I would use it as a rinseless wash mainly though. I will have to look into the ABC approach - thanks for the recommendations.

Regarding the FK1000P, you have mentioned that you just leave bird droppings on the car because the product provides protection against them. This is a great quality of the product. I`ve had bird droppings on the car the past two days. Yesterday, there was a larger dropping so I figured I would wash it and ended up washing the whole car. Today, there was another one and I was using my hand and fingernail to sort of wipe it away. Then I realized this might not be the best way to approach it so I just poured water over it and it came off.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Nav45- Yeah, the whole Detailing Terminology thing can be, uhm...problematic. IF the polishing is up to snuff, then all that`s left is whether a LSP has the look that *you* want (or can at least live with).

You could always top the FK1000P with a wax if you simply can`t stand the look. Will preclude adding more FK1000P though. Eh, even FK acknowledges that the look isn`t right for everybody, they sell a "Pink Wax" just for topping it.

On the trim where the FK1000P didn`t work too well, a pretreatment with Klasse All-In-One ("KAIO") can really help.

Regarding the IUDJ, it can be a fine line between "rinselss wash" and "quick detailer", all a matter of how you dilute it, and at QD-strength it definitely leaves plenty of [poly-whatever-it-is] behind, much like a "booster" product.

Glad to hear the FK1000P is protecing *your* paint from the birds same as it does mine. Probably best to not push that too much, but yeah it`s nice that the guano doesn`t immediately etch the clear. To get `em off safely, I spritz IUJD onto a MF until it`s pretty wet and gently press that against the dropping so it softens it (without getting the IUDJ everywhere as can happen if I just spray it). I also spritz a cotton swab. Then I *very gently* agitate the [crap] with the swab (if necessary to break it loose) and blot with a plush MF, first with the MF damp with IUDJ and then dry.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information