Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best Powerwasher Advice?

I`ve never had a powerwasher before, and was curious about what everyone is using (for washing vehicle specific).

Gas or Electric? Everyone I`ve ever known with gas has had engine issues eventually.
    Brand?
    Specs?

Seems like the electric (other than the cord) would be a little nicer and smoother to use for auto washing. I want something I can use a foam canon on.
    What brand/model is popular AND high-quality. Cost isn`t a major concern, as I`d rather pay a little more and have something that will work well AND last a long time.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Powerwasher Advice?

If you go electric you need to get pro pump from brands such as Kranzle. The best electrics do not have the cleaning power of most gas units but they are sufficient for cleaning cars. You can repair the pro electrics if needed If you need to do use it anywhere or anytime (no where near an outlet) then gas is the only option. You just have to deal with gas/oil/noise, etc.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Imo, I don`t use anything over 2000 psi an gas is a nono in my book for many reasons. It`s louder an the exhaust is just killer.

I`ve had karchers for many years without issue, safe, reliable, affordable and tons of attachments.

I`ve been using a K5.85 plus for 3 years now and VERY happy with it!
    Amazon.com : Karcher K 5.85M 1850PSI 1.5GPM Electric Pressure Washer : Patio, Lawn & Garden

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just don`t get too close to the paint or your be sorry.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Gave up on electric after having gone thru 3 Karcher`s in as many years. Went to a Generac 2800 psi (yes I`m VERY careful) from Lowes and never looked back. Now my undercarriage attachment has the oomph to blow the summer mud and winter salt away.
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

I just think the exhaust and noise of the gas (for washing cars anyhow) would get awful annoying. I hate smelling like gas when I`m done mowing the grass...I don`t want that after I`m done washing the car too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    I just think the exhaust and noise of the gas (for washing cars anyhow) would get awful annoying. I hate smelling like gas when I`m done mowing the grass...I don`t want that after I`m done washing the car too.
    Agreed.

I bought a 25ft. extension for the washer - that gives me 50ft. total wand hose - and use a 50ft. garden hose so I can move the washer as far away as possible. Still wear ear protection tho ...

And being fixed location, I actually run the washer outside the shop
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

I have two, a gas and an electric. I`ve rebuilt the electric 3 times and it`s a pain in the neck and I`m sure others have an even lower opinion.

The gas unit just keeps on working and hasn`t given me a hint of trouble in 4 years. Brand doesn`t matter if you stick to details: honda engine, Cat or General/National pump, preferrably not a Comet. Stainless steel cart.

Pressure is relative to distance. A 4500 psi unit has 0 pressure if you`re far enough away. If you`re only going to use it on the cars and not anything else around the house, around 2500 would be a good choice. Tip choice affects pressure too. Imagine a 15 degree tip as opposed to a 45 degree tip.

So, go gas. Noise a factor? Mine is about the same as the lawn mower and the weed eaters, less than the lawn tractor, less than the chipper/shreader and way less than an electric grinder, greater than the two leaf blowers.

Here`s a tip: Point the wand away from the car and cycle the unit. See if the tip is firmly attached to the wand. If it isn`t, it`ll shoot many feet across the lawn and not into the car. A rookie move and a tad embarrassing.
    Another tip: Put a quick disconnect on the wand body. Use a long/regular wand for normal power washing and plug the foam cannon directly into the quick disconnect. Really manageable that way.
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never had a problem with my electric pressure washer. About $80 for an off brand at Menards. Not as powerful as the gas ones. But I hate using my dad`s gas pressure washer to wash cars. I don`t use 3500 psi anyways and I hate having to start the gas pressure washer every time I want to use it.

My gas pressure washer is compact (fits under the bench actually,) breaks down easily so water can be drained from the hose, starts on demand (when the trigger is pulled,) is cheap, runs my foam lance like a champ, is cheap, and is MUCH quieter than gas pressure washers (only makes noise when you pull the trigger too.)

Unless you`re going to be cleaning decks and siding with the pressure washer as well I wouldn`t waste my money on a gas pressure washer.

As far as pressure being relative to distance... You don`t have to worry too much about that if you choose a pressure washer with an appropriate amount of pressure for washing cars in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the appropriate pressure for washing cars and using a foam canon? I think electric would work best for me...I just want a quality one. Is there a brand of electric or certain specs I need to watch out for?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe mine is 1800 psi. I can`t really speak to brands as I`ve only ever needed this one cheapo pressure washer. Power Works is the brand it is, but expect bashing to come following this post for this cheapo brand pressure washer.

The fact of the matter is I use my pressure washer to wash cars, then I take it apart, tip it on it`s side to drain the water from it, drain the hose, wrap it all up and put it back under the bench. I take care of it is what I guess I`m trying to say.

A lot of guys on here favor Karcher. TBH searching is going to be your best bet since this topic is covered on a regular basis and has been asked probably hundreds of times.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1800psi Karcher and its perfect for what I need to detail a car. 1800psi is plenty to get your car clean. The first one I was using was Karcher and it was my dads that lasted maybe 8-10 years before finally blowing a seal somewhere internal and it just wouldn`t work anymore. It power washed a deck and a wooden fence multiple times, and numerous cars over the years.

The one I have now I got in July and it lasted for maybe 5-6 cars before it wouldn`t turn on anymore. I believe it is just a switch issue that I will look to resolve next year maybe. Best part is the Karcher rapid exchange program was super easy and I had a whole brand new unit within a few days directly from Karcher. And on top of that you don`t have to send in your old one. So I`ll either try to repair it (pretty positive I can), or just keep it for parts. Now I have 2 hoses, 2 wands, 2 pumps etc. Worth the minor headache IMO for the free pressure washer. Just wish it didn`t fail while I was at a customers house doing a detail. Made that day a little harder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    What is the appropriate pressure for washing cars and using a foam canon? I think electric would work best for me...I just want a quality one. Is there a brand of electric or certain specs I need to watch out for?
    Get the one I posted, very reliable an solid. Some karchers are flimsy an have plastic fittings this has brass.

All you need to make sure is to purge it every time, if you do that you will increase the life ALOT.

Also stay away from AR blue clean, my friends been through 2 of them.

Post Thanks / Like

1800 psi is plenty, but having a quality gun and appropriate nozzle tip is critical.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the Karcher CAN BE a quality product. What is the tip(s) that everyone is using? Or are you just using it as a foam gun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information