Post Thanks / Like

So about a month or two ago I had a set of brand new Hankook RS3`s mounted on my dad`s BMW M6 and there was tire mounting lubricant all of the sidewalls. Shop denied they caused it, saying the tires came like that. Yeah yeah...

`

Anyways, I`m looking for the best way to remove this crud without damaging the sidewalls since not only are these brand new tires, but the car doesn`t rack up a ton of miles each year, so I`ll be forced to look at the after effects for quite some time, so this NEEDS to be fixed as it is aesthetically unpleasing to the eye.

`

I have tried literally everything from simple green, gasoline, 3m adhesive remover, and even a light amount of brake cleaner. I also tried scrubbing hard with a damp towel, which seemed to work the best, but is an incredibly slow process, so not really time effective.

`

What have you all done in a situation like this with BRAND NEW tires? It`s too late to blame the shop, so I need a method I use to tackle this myself.

`

Found this on another forum which is basically my issue:

2003 BMW E46 M3 TiAg/ Cinnamon 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered some Tar-X from Corey and as I was spraying some on the inside of my fender wells some got on my tires.` The brown stuff just started to roll of my tires.

`

I was just about to buy a blue or white Cyclo brush mounted to my DA.` I`ve heard of a lot of guys using this method.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to give Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew a try.` Pepboys has it`` http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/891431/01648` After spraying give it a good brushing before wiping off.`` Had the same problem as you a year ago and a couple of hits with the Mothers did the trick.`` Keep in mind this is not a dressing but a cleaner.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll have to give the tar-x a try. Otherwise, the brush attachment to my DA might work, but it`ll be difficult on 19` lo-pro tires without nicking the wheel

Post Thanks / Like

When I used the Tar-X, I had a stack of index cards there and just held one in place as I went around the tire with my hand held brush so I wouldn`t hurt the rim.` I just used a cheap dish brush from the dollar store.` It probably wouldn`t have hurt it but I never like to take the chance.

`

If you are worried about marring a rim with the DA brushes you can use Gorilla duct tape and then use 3M adhesive remover to get rid of any residue that might be left.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve removed that stuff with Griot`s Rubber Prep and a brush. `Lots of product, long dwell-time, still took a while but it worked.

`

Much as I like 3M Adhesive Remover, I wouldn`t use it for this and I`d generally avoid using solvents on tires unless I *knew* they were rubber-friendly.

`

You might have to give up on the "time effective" aspect of this....

`

And yeah, gotta match the brush to the tire in question. `Some "summer only" tires are so soft that most any brush will mar them (permanently), so in some cases you gotta use a cotton towel (MFs are awfully gentle for this sort of thing).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

I`ve removed that stuff with Griot`s Rubber Prep and a brush. `Lots of product, long dwell-time, still took a while but it worked.

`

Much as I like 3M Adhesive Remover, I wouldn`t use it for this and I`d generally avoid using solvents on tires unless I *knew* they were rubber-friendly.

`

You might have to give up on the "time effective" aspect of this....

`

And yeah, gotta match the brush to the tire in question. `Some "summer only" tires are so soft that most any brush will mar them (permanently), so in some cases you gotta use a cotton towel (MFs are awfully gentle for this sort of thing).

`

`

`

<span style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">You raise a good point. The cotton towel was the one that made the difference. Just ordered the griot`s rubber prep and their 3" scrubbing pads for the DA. Will report back my findings. Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Thegenius46m- That Rubber Prep is great stuff to have around anyhow, best product I`ve found for not only rubber, but also plastics. `I`ve never gotten around to trying my GG scrubbing pads (not sure what I`m saving them for!) but they might be perfect for this. `I do think I`d do the initial work with something disposable like an old rag since that [stuff] might really trash the scrubbing pads fast when you`re getting off the bulk of it. `And consider a brush for any weirdly textured areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Thegenius46m- That Rubber Prep is great stuff to have around anyhow, best product I`ve found for not only rubber, but also plastics. `I`ve never gotten around to trying my GG scrubbing pads (not sure what I`m saving them for!) but they might be perfect for this. `I do think I`d do the initial work with something disposable like an old rag since that [stuff] might really trash the scrubbing pads fast when you`re getting off the bulk of it. `And consider a brush for any weirdly textured areas.

`

`

Will do thank you.`

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a chance, post back about how the Rubber Prep works (or doesn`t!) for you. `

Thread Information