Post Thanks / Like

Just switched vehicles & really want to keep the new one in showroom condition (2015 Audi SQ5 - Glacier white metallic). `I like taking the time to detail vehicles, especially the wax (some people find gardening therapeutic...I like keeping a car shiny!) `Our winters here in Southwest Ontario though can be a bit harsh...icy roads, & often a fair bit of salt. `I generally prefer waxing (over a sealant), but wondering if it might not be best to apply a good sealant before winter hits? `It`s often hard to wax regularly in the winter (i.e. hose is frozen!!), & I`m not sure I like waiting 3-4 months between waxings. `Any thoughts/advice?

`

Cheers,

`

Al

`

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Collinite 845, it claims to be a wax but seems to last longer than most sealants. It also looks fantastic on white.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on collinite 845 and/or 476s for protection. #845 is more user friendly (and trim friendly) than 476 and I enjoy applying it.

I often end up doing waterless washes in the winter and top with some spraywax or QD to tie me over until spring.`

I live in Maine btw, so I know a bit about harsh weather and daily drivers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great advice guys. `I`m by no means an expert, but also don`t mind doing the research & taking the time to take care of our vehicles properly. `I`ve heard great things also about Blackfire`s Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, especially after applying a clay bar treatment. `I was thinking of going this route, at least for the winter to try to get a more durable finish through the winter months. `Our winters here in London (Ontario) are relatively mild, but the city puts a fair bit of salt on the roads to keep them clear & free of ice. `Any experience with this product? `Thanks again!

`

Cheers,

`

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Blackfire looks great and beads water like crazy. It is not durable and offers questionable protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 476 protects very well, apply a panel or two at a time, then go back and remove. Very nice, warm glow.`
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

Zune- Welcome to Autopia!

`

Fellow Audi-nut here, and I expect my LSPs to last *at least* all through any tough winter. `Short answer: FK1000P. `Just get that and be happy. `Seriously`

`

Collinite is good stuff. `Many sealants don`t last nearly as long as Collinite, and 476S outlasts 845 by a considerable margin IME. `I use 476S on my `93 Audi, but for very specific reasons and it needs redone a *lot* more often than the vehicles with FK1000P even though those get used a lot harder.

`

Heavily layered KSG (at least six layers) lasts longer than Collinite. `FK1000P rivals the heavily layered KSG without having to do *nearly* as many layers.

`

For durability in a conventional LSP as opposed to a coating, I`d put FK1000P up against anything, which is probably the main reason why so many of my vehicles wear it. `On white it`d be a complete no-brainer for me (it`s what I used on the white Crown Vic daily driver I used to have). `At some point I suspect that I`ll switch even more of my vehicles over to it.

`

BFAFPP looks very carnauba-like. `It darkens colors like Audi silver too much for my taste and isn`t very durable IME, certainly not something I`d use for winter. `Eh, it`s NOT something I`d choose for a white driver period. `Ditto for 4-Star UPP (which I`m still using on the S8 despite its terrible lack of real protection against etching).

`

Back where I started- just get FK1000P. `You might consider spritzing it with FK425 after each wash as a drying aid, the two products work nicely together.`

`

EDIT: rather than claying, I`d do a proper decontamination with ValuGard`s ABC, especially on a white car.
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Thread Information