Post Thanks / Like

I used Meguiar`s Hot Wheel Cleaner on my Audi wheels. I followed the instructions using it in a cool area and not letting it sit longer than 15 seconds before hosing it off and it left these stains on my wheels. I searched Meguiar`s general forum and several others have had this same issue with this product. The stain just looks like water stains - as much as I scrub, it doesn`t go away but I haven`t used anything beyond normal auto wash and also tried spraying Sonax wheel cleaner. The stain is most noticable on the machined lip but is also on the spokes as you can see in the pic below. Before I get a little more aggressive, what should I try? Anyone else have this issue from wheel products?

`

Post Thanks / Like

Try a chemical paint cleaner like Mothers Pre-wax Cleaner, if that doesn`t remove it just move up to something slightly abrasive (Megs Scratch-X, Ultimate Compound if you`re looking for OTC solution). Apply these via a short nap MF towel, it may take some elbow grease to remove those stains.

Post Thanks / Like

Were the wheels still warm/hot when you applied the cleaner? I agree with the others and would try a mild polish

Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-wax didn`t do it. I stepped up to a compound using a MF pad and that gave me a unique result.... When I used it, it seemed to have worked and eliminated the stains with a little elbow grease. But after several minutes, the stains came back on their own but not was noticeable as before. I used the same compound again with a little more elbow grease and then it went away without coming back. I followed up with a little wax just to seal it and make it easier to clean down the road.

RaskyR1 : it wasn`t hot but it wasn`t cold either. The car wasn`t driven nor was it sitting in the Sun but outside temps were in the 80`s that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Washed the car today and the stains came back ....although not as pronounced as before and wheels still look much cleaner than before.

`

Is it safe to step up to a more aggressive compound? I used Menzerna SF4500...I also have SI1500 and FG400 in my garage. Which would be safe to try next?`

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I`d quit while I was ahead.` You may hit a point of no return and make it far more noticeable.

`

I used to do weekly maint. on a Porsche 928 that suffered the same, albeit somewhat worse.` I could kinda hide it but it would re-appear by the time I tended to`the car again.` I suspect it`s caused by using a wheel cleaner that`s simply too strong.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, don`t risk making it worse by abrading away the wheels finish.` It seems that once a wheel`s finish has been compromised (often, it seems, by using some kind of cleaner that wasn`t safe after all) it just never fully recovers no matter what you do (short of having it refinished).

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so there`s some minor curb rash I was going to get taken care of soon anyways...I`m sure the person repairing the wheel will have to re-clearcoat it in the process. Is there anything the wheel repair person could do that will help while he/she has it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P Rock

Is there anything the wheel repair person could do that will help while he/she has it?

`

Yes, they should be true-ing up all the wheels.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

PRock- I notice you`re in Cleveland..who`s redoing the wheels for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

PRock- I notice you`re in Cleveland..who`s redoing the wheels for you?

`

I had a couple people in mind...I`ll PM you.`

Thread Information