Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at some paint coatings such as Carpro Cquartz, Optimum Opti coating, and Gtechniz C1 and Hybrid Coating. Is it really worth the money because I currently use a synthetic wax and then a carnauba wax when washing/ detailing my car. They come in rather small bottles and cost around the same for what my waxes I use but the waxes I purchase can last me 5-6 cars vs 1-2 for the paint coatings I listed. My area I live in the winter is a little harsh so I was looking at them to help protect the car paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat 2.0 holds up extremely well, coming up on 2 years on my own car, still beads like crazy, slick and swirl free.`
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

fangster- I use coatings on my wheels but not on the rest of the car (but that`s just me and I have my reasons..).` No problem for me to get through a (tough Ohio) winter without using a coating, but many people do like them.

`

If you want to use a coating, you`ll need to do a very thorough correction first as you`ll "seal in" any marring and the coatings don`t conceal any such flaws.` While the coatings are generally harder than autopaint, you will need to wash in a relatively marring-free-type manner or you`ll scratch it up and just be back where you started, at least appearance-wise (the coating will still be on there protecting, but it won`t look so swell).

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator could you please perhaps explain your reasoning because as you may realize I`m in the market to get it for my cars, but I`m not sure if its worth the time and the risk because I have also read that if applied wrong it will require wet sanding and etc. But if somehow swirls (love-marks) and small marring start to appear on paint can I polish them out like on normal paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Coatings like Sonus ion and DG ceramic nano coating have made it ridiculously easy to apply them...whereas the others I`ve applied can be unforgiving in terms of environmental variables or human error.
    Having said that, there are sealants that are blurring the lines with coatings and in some cases preferable because they are dummy proof while giving coating characteristics. One example is the Sonax polymer netshield sealant. In my 40 years of washing and drying cars I`ve never seen anything like this product in terms water and dirt repelling including all the coatings I`ve tried since they became popular. This sealant is nothing short of game change status in my opinion. I`m talking touchless washing and I`m not exaggerating. I took my car through two weeks of rain drenched streets and sun drying cycles mixed in with the usual bugs and road crud....I hit the paint with a foam cannon, then power rinsed it off. I then dried with a metro blaster and I`m telling you I was stunned. Not only was the paint clean, but it was so clean I hit one section with a waterless wash after I dried it with a white MF towel...there was nothing....I mean nothing left behind on that white towel. I can honestly say that it allows as close to touchless washing as anything I`ve seen and I`m meticulous about car washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fangster,

I have Opti Coat 2.0 on my wife`s car and the Klaase Twins on my truck. I had some O

C 2.0 left so I applied it to my truck`s hood and roof.

As far as having to wet sand 2.0 to remove marring and such, from my reading, polishing with hyper polish is all that may be needed. I can`t speak for the others.

Since applying the 2.0 cleaning my wife`s car is a breeze. Most of the time using the foam lance and pressure washer rinse is all that is needed. The less you have to "touch" the surface the less chance you will introduce swirls and such. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to use the coating.

As far as swirls and marring proper wash technique is critical. If you search the site you will find some great threads on the topic.

I did a ton of research prior to taking the plunge and was very confident in 2.0 and it`s ability to withstand our north east winter`s.

As far as price, I bought it when a local site had a 25% off sale.

Finally prep, application, and maintanence will be your keys to coating success.

Good Luck!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

UncleGrandpa- You make that Sonax Polymer Netshield sound *very* interesting!` Heh heh, even us older dogs can learn new tricks now and then, I oughta look into that stuff.

`

EDIT: Eh, [darn] it`s an aerosol....not right for me because of that, but I`m still glad you brought it to my attention.

`

fangster- I`m far from a great authority on coatings, so take heed to what others post on the subject.

`

My biggest concern(s) in your case would be issues related to marring- can you get it good enough before applying the coating?` Can you keep it that way?` No, you can`t "polish the coating", AFAIK you`ll basically`have to polish *through* the coating down to the paint, continue polishing (the paint) until it`s OK again, and then reapply the coating to the entire panel in question.

`

I don`t want to influence you one way or the other; maybe a coating is perfect for you, maybe it`s not, and I can`t really make that call.` Just remember that, uhm....this is the internet and just because something works/doesn`t for somebody else, that doesn`t mean it`ll work/not for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleGrandpa

Coatings like Sonus ion and DG ceramic nano coating have made it ridiculously easy to apply them...whereas the others I`ve applied can be unforgiving in terms of environmental variables or human error. Having said that, there are sealants that are blurring the lines with coatings and in some cases preferable because they are dummy proof while giving coating characteristics. One example is the Sonax polymer netshield sealant. In my 40 years of washing and drying cars I`ve never seen anything like this product in terms water and dirt repelling including all the coatings I`ve tried since they became popular. This sealant is nothing short of game change status in my opinion. I`m talking touchless washing and I`m not exaggerating. I took my car through two weeks of rain drenched streets and sun drying cycles mixed in with the usual bugs and road crud....I hit the paint with a foam cannon, then power rinsed it off. I then dried with a metro blaster and I`m telling you I was stunned. Not only was the paint clean, but it was so clean I hit one section with a waterless wash after I dried it with a white MF towel...there was nothing....I mean nothing left behind on that white towel. I can honestly say that it allows as close to touchless washing as anything I`ve seen and I`m meticulous about car washing.

`

Hi UncleGrandpa, I`m curious to know if you have tried hydro2 or reload from Car Pro

`

I have both and used them but always been thinking about sonax netshield but never did. I have sonax BSD which works great but I didn`t find the finish to be too appealing.
    Check out my Youtube Channel!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both of those products and they are excellent. I`m particularly looking forward to the new reload product which boasts 6 months of protection. My take on this is simple...a spray on product to this point isn`t going to out perform (long term) one that requires some elbow grease. I also love the deep, wet look on red...which the sonax product gives me. Its not a slick surface but I`m not wanting anybody touching the paint so slickness is a non factor. Also the sonax product gave coating characteristics. The others you mentioned in my view act like sealants which they are. Having said that for wheel wells, and wheels I use hydro2.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings are awesome, but maintenance is still freaking important IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

UncleGrandpa- I usually equate slickness with dirt-shedding and thus value it highly...what`s your take on that given that (if I understand you correctly) the Sonax isn`t all that slick but IIRC you said it sheds dirt very well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not slick to the touch and I too thought slickness equated to repelling ability. I was wrong. Repelling is all about chemistry and electrical ion interactions....sonax has figured it out...but slickness as I discovered means nothing other than how the paint feels to the touch and other than myself nobody touches the paint... Seeing is believing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK, thanks for explaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Opti coat 2.0 is fantastic, it is however the only coating I have tried. It is tricky to apply, there are many methods everyone says there`s is the best. Lol. I got a new car two weeks ago and opticoated it yesterday. This is the third car I have OC and it was the most high spots I have gotten. Some have a theory you can apply to a panel and pretty much wipe off the high spots with a microfiber after a couple mins, I layed it on thick this time because I read many people do not use enough product. I used about 9 of the 20 in the syringe. I had many high spots as stated but it those came off extremely easy with poliseal another optimum product.

OC has made maint on our vehicles extremely easy, it`s expensive to purchase but does make quite a difference IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

How do the paint coatings last or stand up against automatic washes? In the winter I just don`t have to time to wash my cars and lots of detailers don`t do paint coatings so I`m thinking about detailing my cars right before the winter if they can stand up against them. What I mean is the automatic washes can they stand up against swirls, micro marring, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information