Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of days ago one of my customers contacted me in a bit of a panic. `In an attempt to remove the bugs from the front of his Lexus he sprayed it with Stoner Tarminator. `While Tarminator is an effective bug remover it turned out to be too strong for the plastic lenses of the headlights and turned them a chalky white. `The car also has a clear bra that he was lucky was not also adversely affected. `
    `
    He told me he decided to use Tarminator (despite having Poorboy`s Bug Squash at his disposal) based upon some good reviews he had read about it online.`
    `
    `
    `
    Several valuable lessons can be learned from this that everyone here should keep in mind:
    `
    `
    `
    1. `Carefully consider the source of any advice you receive. `There are many great detailers here who offer great advice. `There are also a lot of enthusiasts who offer suggestions based upon their experience but don`t really understand the risks of certain methods or products. `There is a lot, I repeat, A LOT of bad advice floating around on other, non-detailing car sites. `Oven cleaner for cleaning wheels is just one example. `Sure it cleans the wheel but it`s not a matter of if, but when it will cause irreparable damage. `
    `
    `
    2. `Always use a product specifically designated for the task. `Oven cleaner is for ovens. `Pledge is for furniture. `Whatever you need to accomplish on your vehicle, there is a product for it. `Windex is a perfect example. `There is a reason there are automotive glass cleaners. `Ammonia based cleaners can damage interior plastics. `Automotive glass cleaners are designed to be safe for tinted windows and most plastics. `There are exceptions to this but, unless you understand what the product is made of and how it works, it is best to consult a professional. `They may tell you to go ahead. `They may say "Stop! `Set it down and back away from the vehicle." `Or they may suggest a better product for the task.
    `
    `
    3. `Always start with the least aggressive method and allow the product time to do its job. `Step up only when necessary. `Sometimes a second application of the milder method is better than going more aggressive. `Testing in a small, inconspicuous area is also wise. `If you are going to have to fix a problem caused it is better to do it on a small scale than to have to fix the whole car. `
    `
    `
    4. `Read the directions... and follow them. `Particularly the warnings. `One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is using too high of a concentration of chemicals. `If your car wash soap says 1 oz./gal of water don`t think that 2 oz./gal will be better. `Allowing products to dry on the paint is also a problem as the chemical becomes more concentrated as the water evaporates. `If a product says not to use in direct sun or on a hot surface you best follow that advice. `My customer admitted that, after discovering the issue with his headlights, he decided to read the label. `Sure enough, it warns that it can damage some plastics.
    `
    `
    5. `When in doubt consult a professional. `Forums are great but there are also many groups on Facebook where many great detailers are at your disposal and questions are often answered much quicker. `I highly recommend looking into the group "Detailing for Dummies" `and `"Ask a Detailer" `Despite the name of the former it is not just for dummies. `Some of the best in the business answer technical questions daily. `
    `
    `
    `
    You might be thinking "Yeah. `I already knew all this." `Well, so does my customer but he had a momentary lapse of reason and wanted to take a shortcut. `In doing so he cost himself more time and money than if he had just done it the safe way. `
    `
    `
    I read a lot of posts of people are asking about ill-advised products or giving poor advice. `I encourage everyone to add their anecdotes to reinforce this concept so that anyone reading can learn from the mistakes of others.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post!

`

Cannot oceremphasize Point No. 3 more. It`s not just for compounding / polishing, but for everything. Try diluted solutions first instead of jumping to the maximum recommended concentration, whatever the amount of dirtiness.

Post Thanks / Like

As a corollary to this whitening/frosting of clear plastic, I had been detailing my sister`s red `98 Miata. She had the body shop spray some black coating on the under-sill between the wheels to prevent stone chips after having the car repainted. When I tried to use Tarminator to remove road tar that had accumulated on the lower door panels and front and rear`fender panels near the doors, the black coating turned`a milky white as well. I tried some trim restorer, which helped a little, and then followed with some Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, but it was never as "black" as it started out to be. Live and learn: watch out for plastic trim or mud flaps when using Stoner`s Tarminator.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Have addressed this issue several times. It always ends up with "but, they say or I heard", etc. Fact is there is an additional very active solvent, in a small percentage in the Tarminator that attacks many resin systems of paint, trim, etc.`

When you need to remove tar, etc, that require a hydrocarbon solvent, which bug deposits do not, just use regular mineral spirits.

For the bugs, wet the surface with water, let it dwell/sit for a couple of minutes than use either your car wash solution or APC on the wetted surface and go do other work, don`t play `rub-a-dub",just mist it to keep wet. The car wash solution or APC will do what it takes to safely "liquify" the deposits and they will wipe off in the normal wash. "LET THE WATER AND THE PRODUCT DO THEIR JOB, DON`T RUSH IT, GO DO SOME OTHER CLEANING!

If, repeat, IF there are still indications of "bug", then it is most likely that the paint is "etched" and that repair is a whole different set of procedures to correct.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I had a nice lady use scotch-brite pads on her silver Accord`s hood - to get the bugs off. Yeah, I can shoot that pesky possem that eats my cat`s food with a .460 Weatherby, but a .22LR HP works better!

And I did polish out the scratches on the Honda and made a friend for life!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great word to the wise and un-wise for sure!`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

6. Don`t rinse off your car in advance prior to my arrival and let it air dry!`
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information