Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Quick background - I`ve dabbled in detailing my own vehicles for many years. `I had a Jaguar X-Type that I kept gorgeous with Zaino products back in the early 2000`s, and a few other vehicles I babied with Opti-Seal and similar products. `Recently had an F-150 that couldn`t fit in my garage - mostly I Opti-Sealed that or gave it a coat of Collinite 476s (I think that`s the one) before winter.

`

Now I have a brand new Ford Explorer Sport in ruby red.

`

`

`

This is a daily driver that will be garaged at night. `During the nicer weather, it will be hand washed with ONR in my driveway/garage. `I`ll be open and honest - in the winter, it will go through a few tunnel car washes. `The one I use isn`t no-touch (I can`t find one near me), but at least it doesn`t have spinning brushes - it has those long felt strips that run over the car. `Yes, cringe, I know - but if I don`t go through those, the car just doesn`t get washed all winter and will be completely caked with salt and grime. ` Just accept this. ` Again, in the summer months it`ll be all hand washing. `(Note - garage is too small to wash a car inside with the door closed, so I cannot heat it and hand-wash there in the winter. `And from experience I won`t commit to using those quarter self-serve wash bays).

`

So, what products would you recommend? `Is there a good wax/sealant that can survive these tunnel washes in the winter? `Or is my previous-vehicle-strategy of a couple applications of Opti-Seal each year along with a coat or two of 476s in the Fall good going forward? `What would you recommend for the black plastic cladding?

`

NOTE: I fully understand that with these limitations I`m not going to maintain a show-quality car. `
    --FJCMustang

Post Thanks / Like

FJ, welcome aboard!` That`s a very pretty red!

`

Are you familiar with the new coatings?` They`re very durable and long-lived.` We see that Duragloss has entered the market, too.` Several products worth being aware of.` They would dramatically reduce your fussing over the paintwork while keeping the vehicle lookings its best.` I assume you`d also gain some protection against the Tunnel O` Swirls equipment (auto car wash).
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

fjcmustang- Welcome to Autopia!

`

For durability, I`ve switched from Collinite 476S to FinishKare`s FK1000P` and it lasts a lot longer for me.` If you got a few coats on there before winter it could very well last until spring, and IMO it`s the product most likely to.

`

That`s if you don`t go with the coating...

`

For exterior trim, there are some very good trim sealants these days (I use Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard), and after sealing`I like to maintain it with ValuGard`s Fast Finish quick detailer, which seems especially good for such surfaces.` I *DO NOT* use the typical "dressing" approach on such trim!` Messy, tends to run in the rain, needs redone all the time, sometimes retains dirt...yuck, just a crappy approach IMO.` Heh heh, can you tell I`m a bit opinionated about it?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom p. and Accumulator for the welcome messages! `I`ve actually been a lurker here for quite a while - since 2008 according to my profile. `Thus the user name - picked it back when I had my Mustang. `

`

The references to coatings - are you talking about something like Opti-Coat? `I`ve read a bit about it, but it scares me a bit, being so permanent - is it something that`s pretty easy to apply for someone that`s done probably a dozen applications of Opti-Seal on various cars in the past?

`

As for the cladding, thanks for the recommendation of Ultima Tire & Trim Guard - that`s actually a product I have on my list for the cladding, from doing some reading on this site. `I, too, don`t want to mess with a dressing that will run.
    --FJCMustang

Post Thanks / Like

fjcmustang- Yeah, "coating" = OptiCoat.` I can go both ways (pro/con) on the coatings, but it just might be the best idea for you.` I really don`t think the application is anything to be worried about, but then I`ve only used it on wheels so what do I know?!?` Otherwise, I`d do an AIO with a bit of abrasive (ZAIO or Speed come to mind) and top with FK1000P.` I`d be all about keeping the whole thing from being overwhelming...that`s not as big as my Tahoe but it`s not really small either.` Hmmm...that "size of the thing" has me thinking that maybe the coating *would* be a bit of a challenge, don`t think *I* would go that route, but then I never do anyhow (on the whole vehicle).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

`I`d do an AIO with a bit of abrasive (ZAIO or Speed come to mind) and top with FK1000P.`

I`m going to be applying FK1000P sometime this spring--so it`s OK to use Speed under it even considering Speed contains some POXY which contains some Montan wax??
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

pwaug- Hmm..maybe I oughta back off that Speed + FK1000p recommendation, at least a bit since I`ve never tried it.

`

Besides ZAIO + FK1000P, I`ve used FK1000P over 1Z Pro MP which leaves "wax" behind, but that one contains "synthetic waxes" and I dunno just how the Montan might be. I`d try a test area, but I wouldn`t be so pessimistic that I wouldn`t at least *try* it, could always just go back over it with Speed if it didn`t work out (smeary, not-bonding issues oughta be readily apparent).` Just inspect under good lighting, watching for psuedo-holograms as well as more obvious smearing-type problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator!` Perhaps I`ll just stick with HD Polish and avoid any issues in the first place.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are familiar with Opti Seal, then Opti Coat

works almost just the same. Very same application,

but surface prep is more intense.

Yes it is permanent, but it is very easy to fix early.

It hardens over 3 months from 3 or 4 up to a 9.

If you don`t want Opti Coat or seal, then you should check out hydr02. I personally haven`t used it, but you just spray it on and flush it off with water.

Have you thought about bucket heaters for winter washing? We don`t need to think about that in South Texas, so no experience here, just an idea.

Post Thanks / Like

wwww-willywallywashwax- Not to cast stones at something I have no experience with, but the whole idea of the hydr02 gives me pause...just to, uhm....uncontrolled with regard to where it goes/doesn`t .` E.g., what about all the nooks and crannies that retain water?

Post Thanks / Like
    And this is why I like the idea.

It gets all of the crannies.

Typical gets only rubbed surfaces.

Now, it won`t bond add well in crannies

that aren`t cleaned.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the recommendations, I`m going to do some research on them and see which ones to try.

`

Any recommendations on tire dressings? `I prefer a little shine, but not that oily wet look. `In the past my go-to has been Zaino`s Z-16 tire product, which just gives more of a new-tire look (which isn`t bad, IMO). `I may just stick with that, but I`m willing to try something else if there`s something that`ll give just a tad more shine without introducing any slinging issues.
    --FJCMustang

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fjcmustang

`

`

Any recommendations on tire dressings? `I prefer a little shine, but not that oily wet look.

`

I`d strongly recommend Meg`s Endurance.` Stuff is cheap, it lasts thru rain, no sling.` Glossier than some of the others.` Outstanding, OTC value

`

I`ve got a boat-load of these dressings, some quite pricey.` I can`t believe I`ve had to go thru so many to find one as good as this!

Post Thanks / Like

fjcmustang- I`m down to my last bottle of (old, "lemony-scent" version) Z16 and I`m not sure what I`ll buy next either.` I`ve been thinking about one of the DuraGloss products (forget the name/number...), one of their offerings sounds like that "new-tire look".

`

As for sling, as long as you buff off any excess (I use an old MF) I wouldn`t expect any problems.` I can`t really recall ever having sling from any of my dressings.

`

tom p.- I`m gradually using up two old (and I mean *old*) bottles of Endurance on the `93 Audi, especially its snow tires.` Is Endurance still a really thick product?` I find it a genuine PIA to use, even with a toothbrush and a few (old) MFs.` Too glossy for my good cars too, but it does last quite a while.

`

wwww-willywallywashwax- That`s a good point about the Hydr02 being *good* for the nooks/crannies.` I forget that most people don`t bother doing those areas the way I do (lots of time with an assortment of tools to reach in there and polish/LSP and then wash/spray-wax or QD at every wash).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Is Endurance still a really thick product?`

`

it is.` I apply (with a HD spray head)`a bit to one of the Eagle 1 tire swipes and kind of scrub it in with that.` Then I`m done.` I`ve been very impressed with it.` Someone sent me one of those little foil packs with a sample in it.` I tried it and liked it.` I ended up buying a bottle at W*mart maybe a couple years ago and it`s lasted a long time!` And the stuff is super durable.` Superior to anything else I`ve tried.` It`s good for one or two rain days.

`

I like the Mother`s FX tire dressing, too.` That`s really attractive but doesn`t have the staying power of the Meg`s product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information