Post Thanks / Like

So yeah, dealer didnt quite listen when I said "DO NOT WASH".` All the dirt and grime from the winter in CT was wiped around my black car, and now its swirl city.

`

Luckily, at least MOST of the car was Opti Coated (Ive questioned some spots because they didnt bead/sheet like the others, but for now my goal is just get rid of most of the swirls)

`

What would be my best plan of attack?`

`

Can I assume the swirls are just in the Opti?`

`

What products are recommended to try and correct it?` The underlying paint is VERY soft (Infiniti Malbec Black) which is why I chose Opti in the first place, so I really want to go light and slow even if it takes a whole lot of time.` Id rather under-correct than over-correct in this case.

`

Thanks in advance.

`

-Chris

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with a fine polish and a white or grey pad. That will probably clean up most if not all of the lighter marring. If they pulled an "old fashion" SUPER MASSIVE DESTRUCTIVE car wash, good luck, no coating will stop an idiot from ruining something.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had that happen to a couple customers, most of the marring was contained in the coating itself and removing the marring wasn`t nearly as time consuming as it otherwise would have been. I did re-coat the cars, I know one of them got the dealer to foot the bill.`
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    This one was washed as well, even though it is in the computer to not wash it. Almost one year later I had to correct it and re coat $1000 out of the dealer`s pocket.

P1030022.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

`

Im definitely bringing it up with the dealer, service manager is supposedly calling me back tomorrow.

`

I got a quote from a local mobile detailer, not in writing but if the discussion gets far enough with the dealer I will mention the price (it aint exactly cheap, as Opti usually isnt).` He did seem very confident I could fix it myself, and if the dealer isnt going to help me out with cost I figure its worth a shot ordering a few pads and some product.` (He suggested white lake country pad + Optimum Hyper Polish spray)

`

The car was coated 3 years ago by a pro detailer.` It may have been time to touch it up a little, but the dealer just turned it into a full on correction of the coating and possibly recoat

`

Thomas - that car is beautiful!` Love the color.

`

Thanks again.` It hurts to look at the car in this condition, but the funny thing is I bet only an Autopian would see it that way.` My wife thinks Im nuts (as usual).

Post Thanks / Like

If you warned them not to wash it and they didn`t listen and damaged your vehicle it`s on them to pay to fix it. The key is to document it <u>IMMEDIATELY</u> with the dealership and not let them try to fix it. You`ll need a quote from a professional detailer and the dealer should be on the hook.`

`

Without seeing the marring or doing it a test spot it`s literally impossible to know what step(s) will be required to correct this damage. Try a finishing polish and go from there.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I did call them as soon as I noticed it... It was Saturday so the manager wasnt there but I did at least tell them.

The funny thing is that they offered to wash it again for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Fail X2!

`

Keep us posted on it. Concentrate on the fact that you gave them a direct order not to wash your car and they failed at listening at your request. And explain that your car was perfect and now it`s F`d.`

Post Thanks / Like

David - tried to send you a PM but it wouldnt go thru....is in your inbox full?

Post Thanks / Like

I just cleared my messages. Feel free to resend.`

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

I just cleared my messages. Feel free to resend.`

`

Hmm, it still bounces back saying you cant receive any new messages.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to e-mail me then. Not sure what`s going on?

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to get into exact numbers here, but an update:

`

The dealer is going out of their way to take care of me.` Im more than satisfied with the agreement I have with them.` They didnt balk at all when I declined their invitation to have their detailer fix it, they pretty much understood I dont want anyone there touching the paint on my car anymore.` And they`ve assured me its noted "up and down and up again" in my file to never wash my car.

`

Im as picky an Autopian as the rest but Im pretty easy to make happy with stuff like this.` When in the market for a new car, I will most likely be purchasing from them.` So in the long run they gained a customer, instead of losing a little $$$.

`

Thanks for all the encouragement....for sure I wasnt expecting a quick and easy resolution, but it looks like thats what I got.

`

A few pics of the carnage (apologies for the pics being all sorts of incorrectly oriented, not sure what happened there)

`
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:23467]
    `
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:23466]
    `
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:23465]
    `
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:23464]
    `
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:23463]

Post Thanks / Like

That`s great news! Thanks for giving us an update!`

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a little while, but the saga is now over.` I hooked up with Rich Grasa from Explicit Details here in CT and he undid the dealers handiwork today.

`

Pics are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0322669&type=1

`

Huge thanks to Rich for working everything out.` My wife told me today that she kept her "its just a car" thoughts inside her head, but once I showed her the 50/50 shots she agreed it definitely needed to be fixed.

`

Thanks again Autopia and Rich!

`

-Chris

Thread Information