Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and good day everybody.`

in the past I have 3M` PPF installed on my` last ride for 4.5 years` with no issues over that period.

`Little over a week ago` had an Xpel ultimate ppf installed on my new ride covering the whole front of the car.

The install was good except I have a small area on the rear of the hood where the edge of the film is lifting.

The next day after` the original install I noticed it and ran my finger over it to see if it would stay down and it did for a little while.

Seems like the edge of the film stops just past the hood on a round section .

Any ideas on how I could get the edge to adhere better, wet with solution and try and get it to adhere?

Hate to take it back to the original` installer as it would be another 4hr drive and the cost of gas but at the same time I want it to last and not peel up.

Figured I would ask here before calling the installer and demanding they fix it and reimburse me for the hassle of having to come back.

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s a little place, I`d use a tiny bit of clear nail polish, we used to use that on tinted windows (another DIY job that I`ve tackled many moons ago).
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug

If it`s a little place, I`d use a tiny bit of clear nail polish, we used to use that on tinted windows (another DIY job that I`ve tackled many moons ago).

`

`

Thanks for the suggestion. was thinking of some type of adhesive that would just help tack the ppf . hoping for something that will not damage the paint . I know I can mix a solution of baby shampoo and IP and wet the area but not sure if that will hold.` it is a shame as the rest of the install came out great but I think the hood was cut a little short and the one edge does not overlap as much as the others. thinking I might call the installer and ask for a refund as I would need to drive for 4 hrs plus my taime and gas for their mistake ? I know we have PPF installlers here hoping they can lend their advice` on what they would do for their client. thanks

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not mix a slip solution and spray it in there unless there is debris(sand/dust/ect) in an attempt at cleaning it out.

`

Show me a picture and I will tell you how to solve your issue. It`s unlikely that it`s bad enough to merit writing it off and requesting a refund.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Claude

Do not mix a slip solution and spray it in there unless there is debris(sand/dust/ect) in an attempt at cleaning it out.

`

Show me a picture and I will tell you how to solve your issue. It`s unlikely that it`s bad enough to merit writing it off and requesting a refund.

`

`

Thanks for the advice on not using the solution. will post a couple of pics for you tonight or tomorrow for your suggestion.` I did see the installer using a heat gun right before I left on the area` that is pulling away. they ran their finger over it after using low heat for a couple of seconds.` that caught my eye and I asked them if it would be good and they said yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="flatstick"]

`

It depends on the situation. Clear bra adhesive can outright fail if overheated. The best approach may be to ensure no debris is under it(if you`ve driven with it lifted, it probably does), lift a very small portion around the finger(lifted area), spray a mixture of 90% water and 10%(70% isopropyl) alcohol under the spot and the use a credit card to work it down from the center out.

`

Here`s the thing. If the bra ends on the very edge it will likely lift again. It may need to be trimmed back. Trimming clear bra is not for someone who has never done it. Bone that up and you will end up with cut paint and a huge clear bra section that is torn where you work on it. Taking it to a local installer may be your best bet. `They also have adhesive promoter that can more or less reactivate that adhesive and give it extra bite.

`

Pictures will help tho.

Post Thanks / Like

below are some pics of the PPF lisfting on the edge of the hood. the car has not been driven too much since the install. like you said there may be some dust now under the edge . was not pplanning on cutting the stuff back myself. this morning I noticed and edge starting to bubble that had more film wrapped further underneath the hood.. thinking the kid who did it cut the film too short or ran into problems somehow as I mentioned earler the owner was running his finger over hte edge right before I drove it away. for the price I paid I am not satisfied with the film lifting and with it seeming to happen more and more maybe they should remove and reinstall the film and refund part of the install price as I would have to frive 4 hrs and spend more on gas for something that should have been done right the first time . the last car I had done with the 3M the installer wrapped a couple inches under the hood to prevent the edges from lifting. I mentioned that to this guy and he showed me his ride , stating that I would be happy with their work when they are done. would you let a car go like this ? as far as local installers I have not been able to find anybody local .

`

`

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ps5ce9d570.jpg

`

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ps20f52c53.jpg

`

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ps7c65d534.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just get the installer to trim the entire back edge. A rock will never hit there anyway and then you won`t have wrapping issues, and if it is trimmed tight enough you will never see the line.

Post Thanks / Like

flatstick,

`

Even quality installers can not provide 100% perfection. I guarantee that debris or a less than perfect edge can be found on just about any install if someone looks hard enough(just like window tint). A full refund for it peeling back on just the lip(it hasn`t released from the surface) is unreasonable. It is a shame that you are 4 hours away, because in 5 minutes the installer can address these few issues.

`

30 seconds with adhesive promoter will have that tacked down and will not release it. If a bubble has shown itself, those can be fixed in a few seconds as well. Maybe communicate with the installer that these issues arose and see if he can work out something for you. The minor issues are his problems. You being 4 hours away is not his fault. I mean that as kindly as I can say it while still being honest about the situation.

`

Suggesting a different installer fix it may not be a great idea. A local installer may make a bigger issue of it or could ruin the work and then blame the original installer. Then again, the original installer could blame the closer guy for the fix not working. As sad as it is, driving back to the guy is probably the best solution, albeit an inconvenient one.

`

We like to keep clear bra installs for at least 1 night for this same reason. Some things will not arise until many hours or temperature/humidity changes after the initial installation. They can be addressed before the car leaves but many hours after the install.

Post Thanks / Like

flatstick,

`

Even quality installers can not provide 100% perfection. I guarantee that debris or a less than perfect edge can be found on just about any install if someone looks hard enough(just like window tint). A full refund for it peeling back on just the lip(it hasn`t released from the surface) is unreasonable. It is a shame that you are 4 hours away, because in 5 minutes the installer can address these few issues.

`

30 seconds with adhesive promoter will have that tacked down and will not release it. If a bubble has shown itself, those can be fixed in a few seconds as well. Maybe communicate with the installer that these issues arose and see if he can work out something for you. The minor issues are his problems. You being 4 hours away is not his fault. I mean that as kindly as I can say it while still being honest about the situation.

`

Suggesting a different installer fix it may not be a great idea. A local installer may make a bigger issue of it or could ruin the work and then blame the original installer. Then again, the original installer could blame the closer guy for the fix not working. As sad as it is, driving back to the guy is probably the best solution, albeit an inconvenient one.

`

We like to keep clear bra installs for at least 1 night for this same reason. Some things will not arise until many hours or temperature/humidity changes after the initial installation. They can be addressed before the car leaves but many hours after the install.

`

`

`

Thnaks for your thoughts on the situation after seeing the pics.I am not looking for a full refund but feel that the installer should refund some of rhe purchase price for me having to make the second trip. anybody in business should take care of their mistake as I know they happen . will not go to another installer as if they slip up I would be worse off. what gets me is the installer knew there was a problem with the edge as the owner was fixing it right before I left. to me it seems like the kid did not cut the film large enough for some overlap not ending up on a rounded portion of the hood. for the money I spent to get a quality install I am not satisfied with the results on the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

I could make that stick without any more length. I don`t think length is the issue. Due-diligence would have caused it to stay though.

`

I don`t think a partial refund or some other service that will add value would be unreasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

I could make that stick without any more length. I don`t think length is the issue. Due-diligence would have caused it to stay though.

`

I don`t think a partial refund or some other service that will add value would be unreasonable.

`

Thanks for all of your advice. waiting on a response from the installer now. any chance you will be in PA soon lol !

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there is a competent ppf guy locally. Just do a bit of hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

Update? What happened flatstick?

Post Thanks / Like

Update? What happened flatstick?

`

`

Been crazy busy at work working overtime.` the original installer got back to me stating they would travel to my house and fix the issue.` seems like they want to trim the edge like you suggested. considering taking them up on it but my wife is funny about` having strangers at our house. will update you when I figure out the plan of action and how it went.` might be a few days as work has me tied up for a while .thank you for checking in on me I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information