Post Thanks / Like
    <p style="text-align:center;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;">Time -versus- Customers
    <p style="text-align:center;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">A Look Into Time Management
    <p style="text-align:center;">`
    <p style="text-align:center;">`

`

`
    <p style="margin-left:40px;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">For many in this industry, the truth that Time equals Money is quite significant.` We often find that we either do not have enough time at the end of the day, and we are always left wanting more.` We want more time for the sun to be up, we want more time to earn money, we want more time with our families.` Time is a constant factor in our business.` This is especially true if you are charging your customers hourly.
    <p style="margin-left:40px;">`
    <p style="margin-left:40px;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Especially if you charge your customers hourly, they do not deserve to have you waste time on the job.` Your bottom line is another reason that you can not waste time.` Your profits would be the thing to take the hit.` A conundrum occurs when working a job, and you are approached by potential customers.` Do you stop what you are doing to deal with the questions from the onlooker?` Do you ignore the onlooker and risk offending them or losing the customer?`
    <p style="margin-left:40px;">
    <span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">This is a tight rope that many of us walk.` Unless we are fortunate enough to be booked up weeks in advance, we can not afford to lose the new customer as a client.` We also can not afford to offend our current customer by slacking off on the job.` We are on the clock afterall.` Do we let our assistants deal with the clients?` For me, having my assistant dealing with customers is not a solution.` I want to be the one selling my services, as I can properly counter reaction to pricing, correctly answer questions and concerns and give a good look into my professional demeanor.` So, is there a solution?
    <p style="margin-left:40px;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">I personally think that there is.` I saw this item after working at RV lots for a few days in a row.` We would get stopped nearly every thirty minutes by someone wanting a business card and inquiring about prices.` Then, I see this little gem of an item: If I had this on the back side window of my work truck, then I can easily point someone to it and tell them that I would get back in touch with them.` This is quite a time saver.` I do not have one of these items yet, but I can instantly see its value.`
    <p style="margin-left:40px;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Not only can I refer people to grab a card, but the item`s description states that people are naturally curious as to what is on your car, so they look closer and see that it is business cards.` I plan on combining this caddie with a window sticker that sits on the inside of the window, has my business name, details and instructs to take a card.` What do you all think about the use of this?` Do you think that people in parking lots would be interested, look closer, and then take a card?` Is this a way that your car can sell your service by itself?
    <p style="margin-left:40px;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">As a second layer to this strategy, would it be feasable to detail a friends car immaculately for free, in exchange for being able to affix one of these caddies to a back side window?` Would this caddie make your vehicle a company vehicle, as your information is then displayed?` To my knowledge, there is little definition as to how large your company names needs to be to qualify for deductions.` Please correct me if I am wrong.`
    <p style="margin-left:40px;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Can you see any other uses for this piece of equipment?` Is there any other brand that has a better product?` One thing that I would be worried about, is losing all of my cards on a windy day, or while driving fast.` Overall, I do believe that I am purchasing one.` Even if it is only effective in RV parks, I would make my investment back with just one new client.
    <p style="margin-left:40px;"><span style="font-size:24px;"><span style="font-family:`comic sans ms`, cursive;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Thanks for your input on this subject.
    <p style="margin-left:40px;">

`

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. I`m a firm believer that as a business owner you should give as much face time and info to your prospective client as possible. This can be a deal maker and a deal breaker if not handled professionally. No matter how in depth you are into a job/task, it`s imperative to break away to give them your immediate and undivided attention as a sign of respect. Having a brochure is certainly nice but it will not sell the job for you. If you`re unable to give this person the time it takes to make a sale, giving them a brochure is nice, but I would suggest getting their contact info and following up with them later <u>that day</u>. There needs to be a balance between work and sales.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

To piggyback on what David said, in another way...

`

Someone notably stated- "You miss 100% of the shots you don`t take..." ` I think this proves true with any potential client. `Human interaction cannot be replaced... it is the essence of sales and without it... you risk losing their business due to the lack of effort. `(But you already knew that.)

`

Sure, there is a delicate balance, especially in`your case, Will. `Your time is calculated precisely regarding the job and/or jobs that you must complete during the work day. `

`

However, being lower volume,I try to give myself some `breathing` room... if I`m doing a basic wash/ wax that generally takes me 2 hrs... I`ll tell the customer to pick it up in 3 hrs, if possible. `You never know what is around the corner... either in process or happenstance. `

`

I personally don`t have a location that drives `impulse buying` but I`m sure you do. `So I don`t necessarily have the `good` problem of an curious audience... but if I have some spare time after a service... I`m returning calls. `

`

I think the `caddies of cards` are a good thing... at the very least, the `tire kickers` (ie- price minded shoppers) usually don`t want to talk much... they only want a dollar sign with some numbers attached. `If their sentences are longer in nature... you know you can and should devote more time to developing the relationship. `Interpersonal communication study helps with this but I`m sure you are keen enough on it.

`

Keep the investment in the cards for the caddies realistic... I`m sure they will go quick when on site. `(And unfortunately, 30 minutes later in the garbage at home or discarded en route never to be read again.)

`

Another thoughtful topic... keep `em coming!

-Gabe
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t get talked to buy customers when on car lots,

so this wouldn`t affect my Hourly work. Just talking about this,

and your responses makes me glad that I charge by job,

so that I can stop and talk with them. If I was charging

hourly, then I would feel worse about stopping.

Great point at how I can save time from tire kickers.

This sort of self regulates, because the person who just wants

a price, can get an approximate idea from the card caddie.

A more inquisitive customer will ask, and I can respond.

Post Thanks / Like

I think as long as you`re hourly, you just need to be cognitive of the time spent away from the job at hand and apply it to the final bill. Also, doesn`t hurt to let the customer to build more trust.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information